Instagram Announce Tougher Punishments

IDFD

It's about time that this happens however I can't believe they are only just now banning accounts that send this abuse. I'd assumed this was just standard.

Good that they will quickly ban secondary accounts used to send messages to. But again should have been standard procedure already.

Step in the right direction but I agree why have these companies not been doing this since day one how long has Facebook been going much be nearly 15 years, Instagram over a decade surely basic rules regarding abuse need to be in the t’s and c’s break them and you get booted off.

The social media platforms have a lot to answer for when it comes to the mass spreading of lies and abuse through their sites.

Martial was racially abused again after yesterday's game.

Must be horrible for the players to know it's coming every time the team lose surely it's getting to the point now where the players need to turn of comments and close DM's.

Martial was racially abused again after yesterday's game.

Must be horrible for the players to know it's coming every time the team lose surely it's getting to the point now where the players need to turn of comments and close DM's.
That’s a sad indictment on the world that they expect to be racially abused after losing a football match. It’s just disgusting.

The Facebook response to Swansea player Dhanda being racially abused was disgraceful. The account was put on a temp ban, how is it going to be stamped out if you essentially give the abusers a slap on the wrist and say oh come back in 7 days or whenever.

Thierry Henry has shut down his social media accounts as he doesn't feel enough is being done by the authorities to stop the racism.

There is rumours that the players may agree to a social media blackout during this summers Euro's in response to the lack of action.

Swansea have decided to blackout all official social media platforms for a week in response online racist abuse suffered by some of their players.

Will anyone notice Swansea doing a blackout.

There needs to be a joined effort, clubs and players. Even then I doubt the companies will care. Donald trump probably produces more clicks than the prem.

Cannot help but think if it was I using your terminology @jsp @Mr C I would be accused of using outdated and no longer acceptable language.
And given the topic maybe it isnt the best wording. Just saying.

no, it highlights how you think about colour

The term blackout is derided from power cuts or losing light and it going dark.

Why on earth would you think it has something to do with skin colour?

If that's what you're getting at, difficult to know with you. I assume you do it as a wind up and to start some kind of banal pointless argument.

no, it highlights how you think about colour

The term blackout is derided from power cuts or losing light and it going dark.

Why on earth would you think it has something to do with skin colour?

If that's what you're getting at, difficult to know with you. I assume you do it as a wind up and to start some kind of banal pointless argument.
Dont think so! why cant another phrase be used, such as wipeout? I can recall when blackboard became unacceptable, as daft as it is, its fact.

I remember that, wasn't it just crappy newspapers doing their thing to drum up fear and try and split the population?

It may very well have been, but that is why I say some here also take the PC thing too far. I think you were guilty of that recently but cant remember what it was now

Birmingham City and Rangers have also followed suit.

As for use of the term blackout I’ve never heard of it used in a derogatory way toward someone in relation to their race so I’m happy to use it @Shot

@jsp well here’s what made me question it.
Some years ago it used to be used in joking fashion.
One would say “I took a blackout last night”. When asked “are you feeling alright now?” They would reply “yes I am fine, nice she was”.
I haven’t heard that in years probably because it is considered outdated and inappropriate.
So there is your example of it being used in a way that could be considered offensive and in reference to race.
Why can’t you use wipeout?

Saying “I took a blackout” is quite clearly a setup to a joke as you would never take a blackout in the literal sense. Written you should be saying I took a black out and separating the two words but then the joke doesn’t work.

I don’t think Wipeout would make sense in the context could have used shutdown I guess but a social media blackout is a commonly used phrase.

Can only assume this abuse came from within our fanbase.

Should note is isn't just footballers who are tagetted because of their race it's happening to high profile people in all sports but it's good that football is being so outspoken on this subject and trying to get it stopped.

From 3pm today a number of clubs and players across the UK will begin a total social media blackout in response to online racism this will run until Sunday evening.

A number of pundits have also agreed to take part so social media could be a quiet place for the next few days.

Good on them for making a stand but sadly I'm not sure it will get the necessary response from the tech companies.

I struggle with things like this because, obviously anything that draws attention to the issue of racism and online abuse is a positive, but, there's always the spectre of tokenism and wondering if this is the most they could do, or the least. The only way online abuse goes away is if all social media accounts need to be verified. Let's see how much of a keyboard warrior you are when your name is attached for the world, and more importantly friends, family and your employer to see.

Take the Cavani situation for example. Because his account is verified, and everyone knows who he is, he gets suspended from work for using a word taken completely out of context. Yet, of the 400 abusive posts from Jan 2021 alone, 86% used the same word/emojis with racist intent without reprisal. Good to see those 6 getting sanctioned from the club for abusing Son, because unless these abusers continue to get named and shamed, it'll continue. Sadly.

The flip side is how do you control the verification process?

Not everyone has formal documents to get themselves verified in certain parts of the world and for some people anonomity online is a good thing.

It is tokenism but what else can they realistically do social media platform are all about interactions they need people logging on and using it to drive their ad revenues if people aren't on it as much for 2/3 days it does hurt them.

For a lot of footballers you do wonder if they should just turn off comments to their posts so people can see them and hit like but they can't actually do anything on their platform.

Utd have today banned 3 season ticket holders for posting racist remarks aimed at Son which I think is a positive step in terms of those who go to match but online is just a whole other animal.

I'm sure the tech companies can figure out better ways than I can, but if you've got social media accounts, in the majority of cases, you have a phone. Accounts could be traced through the phone number to the details you used to sign up for service. Perhaps it's as simple as requiring proof of government issued ID to get a social media account. If you don't have ID you don't have the privilege of making posts/comments. You can only browse and like. Being able to post to Instagram isn't a human right.

I guess for them tighter rules around verification means more responsibility on them and potential liability so they are unlikely to volunteer to do anything until regulators tell them they have to and since we know the power they have it's hard to see any regulation coming.

So what about the millions of people around the world who don't have a government issued ID do we cut them off from social media?

If that’s what it ultimately comes down to, then yeah. The ability to post on social media isn’t a human right, it’s a privilege, and if people want that privilege badly enough they’ll find a way to get the proper verification, or these companies go out of business (which I’m not against either.) Just because the ability to communicate with celebrities or in this case, professional footballers exists, doesn’t mean it has be offered equally to everyone. If you want access to the public sphere then you need to be willing to commit to certain standards, and provide verification. If you can’t do that, even through no fault of your own, then you can browse and like but cannot post. While not ideal, I’d much prefer a system where innocent people are denied the ability to post on Instagram than one where innocent people get racially abused on Instagram.

What social media needs is punishment for being a knobhead if you gob off in a pub eventually someone decides enough is enough and gives you a smack or chucks you out.

Social media needs to develop that sort of approach it needs some bouncers but also better self regulation for its users

Being chucked out of the pub doesn't have the same impact if a) there's a pub on every corner that you can just walk into, and b) you can just go up to the bouncer, tell him your name is something else and get right back in.

If accounts are verified, you can't just make a new one and get back in, and they could pass your info to the other companies and suspend/ban your other accounts.

Agreed that policing from within needs to get beefed up.

Who verifies the account though?

Do you want these tech companies holding your personal info in a file somewhere drivers license or passport details for example?

Would we all be required to be verified to post on here?

To me it’s a sledgehammer approach to cracking a nut.

Reality is most of this activity can be traced anyway if they want to but the police don’t have the resource to investigate every complaint. Until their is a consequence for these actions people will still do it.

Saw a video of Ian Wright talking to Alan Shearer about the stuff he’s sent on a daily basis he mentions the case of a kid in Ireland. This kid was charged with sending racist messages to Ian alright and found guilty in court but the judge let him off with no punishment as it was a first offence. Wright himself said I don’t want the kid going to jail but the punishment has to involve some education or community service and he basically said when that happened he gave up reporting it.

I really don’t know what the answer is but I don’t think it’s verification I think it’s more funding to police to identify those who are making these posts.

Good to see action being taken lets hope these people get the education they need to not think this sort of nonsense is acceptable.

Not sure how I feel about this. Obviously he shouldn't be sending out such tweets but do we really want to start imprisoning people for things they say of this nature?

I think it makes me more uneasy that he's not actually aimed abuse at a single person but basically posted stupid memes.

It's not an easy subject but imagine being on the receiving end of it just scrolling through instagram or any social platform you often see things from people who don't follow and you come across someone sharing this sort of stuff?

We have gone so far one way with social media allowed them to self police and they have failed to apply their own rules so now the laws start being applied. They need to come with suitable punishment as a deterent and because social media posts probably fall into similar classification of malicious communication the penalties are probably quite harsh.

My view is don't post anything on social media you wouldn't be happy to say out loud to a room full of strangers if you and your mates want to exchange "banter" do it in group chats. Basically treat the group chat like your living room and social media like a packed theatre where everyone is watching what you say.

8 weeks and a criminal record isn't the end of the world and you would hope he certainly learns his lesson and also who do similar might suddenly pay attention and think twice.

Where I do think we need more legal intervention is a way of fining the social media platforms for displaying these messages. There own rules say it's not allowed yet they do very little to actually stop it happening they shut your account you create a new one and start again.

The tables need to be flipped on these companies if you want to "own" the internet you can also "own" the responsibility for what your users put on the platform you provide. If they started getting fined every time someone posted something that broke the law on their platform you watch how quickly they'd change the way they operate and how they police the content.

I guess the problem here is it not only requires legislation that deals with this but also resources to capture all the offensive posts and build the case for the fines which lets be honest no government is going to fund since most of these business pay bugger all taxes for operating in this country.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back