Igor Akinfeev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nfeev-doesnt-join-Manchester-United-free.html

Ashley Gray

Manchester United target Igor Akinfeev will be offered a new contract by CSKA Moscow in a bid to ensure they don't lose him for nothing.

The Russia international is seen as a successor to Edwin van der Sar and his current deal with CSKA runs out in December next year.

Van der Sar's decision to pen another one-year deal at Old Trafford means the Barclays Premier League champions can now bide their time when replacing the 39-year-old.

But CSKA are determined not to let him leave cheaply and are expected to offer an extension through to 2014.

There are concerns at United that Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak do not have what it takes to step into the Holland star's boots, though boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been quick to back them.

Akinfeev has been tracked by several of Europe's biggest clubs, including Bayern Munich and Fiorentina, while Arsenal and Chelsea have previously linked with a 23-year-old who has almost racked up almost 40 international caps.

The Euro 2008 star - compared to the great Lev Yashin - this week joked that he had a contract as CSKA for life, but he is known to harbour ambitions for playing abroad.

United_Road said:
how do you rate our current keepers, balloonless?
VDS - is a fantastic keeper, I still think he can go on for another few seasons.

PIG - Looking better when he's been played of late, decent backup keeper

Foster - I'm really worried about his future, I don't think he's going to make it.

How do you rate them?

G

pretty much the same as you.

Kuszczak is worry when it comes to crosses and commanding his penalty area but has improved this season.

Foster is prone to the odd mental lapse where he does something daft. Not for me I'm afraid.

Forget Akinfeev. Would be great to see Buffon in our team. That would just be awesome. I've always been a fan....

Status
Not open for further replies.