If not Solskjaer, then who?

The wingardium leviosa spell is the only chance of us going up the table

If he comes with Tielemens I’d take Rodgers at this point.

Conte feels like a panic button option easily the best manager out there but not sure he’s the right man for this squad.

I'd take Zidane above any current PL manager. And I think ZZ is a poor manager.

There is a real dearth of talent at the moment

That is part of the problem. We have four different opinions, assuming that Harry Potter is unavailable. Ole has done some good things at the club and I do not just want to go back to the first available big name manager, he needs to carry on the good things Ole has done and add to it. I have to be honest I am more Potter or Rodgers than Conte or ZZ. Would possibly have been Nagelsmann but we have missed the boat on that.
Have not really helped a jot there tbh.

What had Ole done to get the job?

As for Potter took a club through 3 promotions in Sweden and into Europe and his Brighton team are great to watch you’d be gambling that given better players he can build a brilliant side that can go up against the very best. There’s no way he could get our players to play the way Brighton do.

The issue is whoever comes will be up against 3 of the best managers in world football right now.

I think United at this point need to get away from the fantasy of a long term manager.

Look I know they went with LVG and Jose with little success (though they both did win a trophy or trophies) but they didn't have this squad.

Conte wouldn't be a popular choice but he's had a lot of success. His football isn't great but maybe at this point United just need to get back to win major silverware?

Needs a big character who can control these players and isn’t afraid to put the ones he doesn’t fancy on the bench.

The issue with this is if it doesn’t work on the pitch with the ones you did pick it can all turn very ugly very quickly see the Mourinho era.

I think United at this point need to get away from the fantasy of a long term manager.

Look I know they went with LVG and Jose with little success (though they both did win a trophy or trophies) but they didn't have this squad.

Conte wouldn't be a popular choice but he's had a lot of success. His football isn't great but maybe at this point United just need to get back to win major silverware?

Gaurdiola and Klopp have had 6 and 5 years now and don't look like going anywhere.

Other than Chelsea does any club in this country have much success with short term managers? We aren't set up for a short term manager.

If you really want to do that you employ Ole as the director of football.

I absolutely despise the idea of Conte.

Needs a big character who can control these players and isn’t afraid to put the ones he doesn’t fancy on the bench.
Well that rules out Potter then, thank God.

We need a manager who is used to managing elite players

We’ve missed the boat on a couple of very good options in Hansi Flick and Marco Rose. I guess there are options out there who have been there and done it like Conte and Zidane but I wouldn’t want either in truth.

Attainable options in the Premier League are a little meh.

At this point in time I would take a chance on Ten Hag.

Bloody hell this is depressing....

Gaurdiola and Klopp have had 6 and 5 years now and don't look like going anywhere.

Other than Chelsea does any club in this country have much success with short term managers? We aren't set up for a short term manager.

In England it’s only Chelsea but in Europe it’s all of them as managers constantly change every few seasons. Although City have won the title under 3 different managers in the last decade.

The director positions are already filled but I guess they gave Ole this deal so we are yet to really see if they are up to their jobs having only been in those roles for a few months.

Well that rules out Potter then, thank God.

We need a manager who is used to managing elite players

Why does it? We don’t know how he’d react to handling this group but my guess is they’d quickly turn on him and wouldn’t be willing to listen to his ideas.

Maybe it is Zidane he certainly wasn’t afraid of upsetting big names at Madrid but unlike Madrid he won’t be inheriting a team that is incredibly well drilled and knows what it’s doing. From what I hear he doesn’t speak English very well which could be a problem.

I mean look I'm not saying Conte is the right choice. Definitely not.

Absolutely not Zidane or Antonio Conte. Conte would be Jose 2.0 and Zidane I’m not convinced is up for the task.
guarantee we end up with Laurent Blanc.

Zidane is one I've been coming around to in my head but there's still nagging doubts over him.

Think my main thing is he took over a really good well drilled side at Madrid first time around under Pellegrini, Mourinho and Ancelotti they'd built a really solid base for any manager to work with high quality players, it just hadn't worked out for Benitez. So Zidane came in made the big calls that only he could make put everyones ego back in it's box and got on with the job and under him the record was ridiculous.

BUT and that isn't what he's walking into at Utd this isn't a great side that's taken a wrong turn it's still a work in progress but it probably needs a fresh set of eyes from someone who can make the big decisions and see how to fit all the pieces together. I'm just not sure if Zidane is that guy.

Could describe him as a repair man like when your washing machine breaks down the guy who comes takes one look changes a few parts and everything is running smoothly again. At Utd we've had a go at fixing the thing ourselves and it's now in 100 pieces in the back garden and we need someone who can come and put the whole thing back together without any instruction manual to follow and work out which of the pieces is failing.

I do think, if you offered enough money, Flick would come. But lets rule that out.

I think the club will go for Poch. So that's where it stops for me.

Someone on here mentioned ten hag, which I wouldn't be against, but it's a risk.

I think maybe ZZ might be the answer, Knows Pogba, Varane, Ronaldo. But I am really dubious about his credentials, he's won bucket loads, but was that just down to the fact he had an amazing squad of players.

The more I think about this, the more I feel like I'm moving on from Ole. Which is a blow, those like JSP who I have been chatting with for years, know I wanted to him have the job from Fergie. But I feel like i'm hanging on to him for loayalty.

Our performances have just been terrible, and there has been no sign of trying to change it. Just throw out the same formation, rotating the same players, hoping it will change. It's not good enough.

Will it be Woodwards last act before he stands down.

Poch signed a new deal in the summer at PSG I can't see Utd paying off Ole then being able to buy another manager out of his contract to get him if we want him we might have to wait until the summer to see if PSG sack him. I don't hide the fact that I'd have pulled the trigger 12 months ago to get him before he went to PSG as I do think he's a better manager than Ole.

I think Woodward will leave this one to his successor he's out the door in December this year so I don't see him wanting to get involved in any major changes from this point onwards.

The message from the club remains they are 100% behind Ole and if they were talking to potential replacements that would have leaked by now so they seem determined to stick with their man for now.

Mancini is an interesting one he's rebuilt his status by winning the Euros with Italy but his club career since leaving City hasn't been great he had 3 short spells with Galatasary, Inter and Zenit without any success won the cup in Turkey so his last club title prior to that would be with City in 2012.

The way Italy played was a long way from what we saw his teams play at City he was a pretty defensive manager but Italy in the summer were great to watch could defend when they needed to but they were great fun going forward.

Hard to see any of these big international managers jumping ship before a world cup in 12 months time especially if they've got a chance of winning it but the money on offer in club football dwarfs what you can earn as a national team coach.

Another international manager who's name has been suggested is Luis Enrique it's taken him a bit of time with Spain but they look to have another exciting generation coming through and he was very succesful at Barcelona when he was there. He could actually be quite a good fit for Utd but the worry would be how many of our players could adapt to his style of play.

Think it took a while for him to find the right style with Barca when he came they'd just signed Suarez and he was struggling to get the front 3 to work and it took a while to convince Messi to play from the right of the 3 again as he wanted to be the centre forward. In midfield think he had to manage the move away from Xavi who was coming to the end of his career so the first few months were rocky but suddenly all the pieces clicked and he found the right system and they ended up doing the treble in his first season.

In 3 years he won 2 league titles, 1 champions league and 3 cups but by the end I think he was just totally drained by the intensity of the experience. His Barca side that did the treble in 2014 was as good as the Guardiola sides from a few years earlier the front 3 of Messi/Neymar/Saurez was just ridiculous.

He took a break from the game at one point to look after his daughter who sadly passed away from cancer but since he's come back Spain have just been getting strong and stronger as he's starting bringing through the next generation of players.

Mancini is an interesting one he's rebuilt his status by winning the Euros with Italy but his club career since leaving City hasn't been great he had 3 short spells with Galatasary, Inter and Zenit without any success won the cup in Turkey so his last club title prior to that would be with City in 2012.

The way Italy played was a long way from what we saw his teams play at City he was a pretty defensive manager but Italy in the summer were great to watch could defend when they needed to but they were great fun going forward.

Hard to see any of these big international managers jumping ship before a world cup in 12 months time especially if they've got a chance of winning it but the money on offer in club football dwarfs what you can earn as a national team coach.

Another international manager who's name has been suggested is Luis Enrique it's taken him a bit of time with Spain but they look to have another exciting generation coming through and he was very succesful at Barcelona when he was there. He could actually be quite a good fit for Utd but the worry would be how many of our players could adapt to his style of play.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Luis Enrique would be high on my list to replace Ole if that decision has to be made, I think he has every attribute to make it work and out of a long list, is the best fit IMO.

Thought his Spain side looked very good in the Nations League games but maybe hard to fully critique as some players might not of had the same hunger as they would in major tournaments.

Ole is going nowhere for the foreseeable, unless we lose the next three league games (very possible) and by that point could be 15,16 or 17 points from the top - maybe then its squeaky bum time, and time to move on.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Luis Enrique would be high on my list to replace Ole if that decision has to be made, I think he has every attribute to make it work and out of a long list, is the best fit IMO.

Thought his Spain side looked very good in the Nations League games but maybe hard to fully critique as some players might not of had the same hunger as they would in major tournaments.

Ole is going nowhere for the foreseeable, unless we lose the next three league games (very possible) and by that point could be 15,16 or 17 points from the top - maybe then its squeaky bum time, and time to move on.

He's certainly a very worthy candidate but I think it's unlikely he walks from the Spain job until after the world cup next winter but put enough money on the table and maybe he does. Koeman walked away from the Dutch job to become Barca manager obviously that's one of his former clubs calling as well not sure we'd have that pull on Luis Enrique but if you're a top manager the premier league is the place to be.

Yeah things need to get really bad for Ole to go but next 5 games are all tough this Atalanta side are no mugs and they'll fancy their chances home and away against us given the state we are in. The way we are playing right now it's hard to see where any points are coming from in those 5 fixtures.

Few reports from France that Zidane has no interest in managing a premier league club.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back