If not Mourinho, then who?

There were some woeful tactical decisions today. He’s got to go now for me. As for next manager, I’d go Ole, Giggs, Klinsman or low

Blanc ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for me as he's out of work the only cloud over him is the racism issue he had with the French national team which he was cleared of but that cloud lingers and for a club like Utd with that brand to protect he'd be risky but then so was Jose for the way he has behaved in the past.

When you think about it the fact he's an ex player probably makes him the favourite bit of a forgotten man though been out of work for over 2 years.

He's not to big a jump in style either I'd say he is a bit more attacking but he should be able to work with these players.

I think Blanc is a very good shout actually. It’s not someone that I would automatically thinking but he does tick a lot of boxes for us. Being an ex-United player would certainly bring a certain amount of affection from the fans.

Our biggest ever mistake in hindsight was hiring Moyes. In theory it was a ‘United’ choice, he was British, knew the league inside out and was Fergie’s choice. However, now I think of it we could have basically got most managers in the world if we had asked them. Sure some would have refused but I don’t think a lot would have turned down the chance to follow Fergie and we were also still a top dog. Shame how we’ve got to where we are with the thinking we need to hire our 4th manager since the great man left.

Sounds like we are going to get Fabio Paratici as DoF from Juve, so maybe Allegri?

Be great if they could get some of the ex players in as well just advising offering their opinion behind closed doors rather than on TV. players like Neville, Scholes, Rio who don't want to be managers just get them involved they know what it took they can see the warning signs. The football side of things needs a lot of voices it can't be one persons vision anymore someone has to be the figure head but you need people who understand the game not just historically but currently to help make sure the correct decisions are made.

These people need to be around the club to remind current and new players/managers of the standards that were set and need to be maintained if we want to get back to the top. 2nd place is not acceptable we don't celebrate winning derbies we celebrate winning titles that mentality needs to come back to the club.

I don’t know much about Allegri to be honest. All I know is that Juventus walk the league year after year.

What is his style of football? I could be totally off here but didn’t he used to manage AC Milan and he wasn’t exactly raved upon?

He wasn't popular at AC Milan but he won the league with them and they've been nowhere near since he did it after the guts of their glory years team had been ripped out Pirlo, Gatusso, Nesta, Kaka etc were all gone he basically won the league with Ibra & Tiago Silva before they went to PSG. Wasn't a popular at Juventus when he took over as he was seen as being a bit negative and they loved Conte being the ex player he left under a cloud because the club wouldn't buy the players he wanted but he's continued their domestic dominance and improved them massively in Europe. He really bought into the model and the plan accepted there were things he controlled and things others controlled.

He's a pragmatist typical Italian style like Conte, Mancini, Ranieri he will change tactics and suit them to the players he has. Seems to be less about fighting the internal policitics and 100% focused on coaching his players to get the maximum out of them doesn't really go around begging for more players or trying to get more power.

My concern is without a structure behind him can he repeat what he does?

I don't see the problem with sacking Jose now and putting someone temporary in charge until we find the right man. Carrick as caretaker to buy us some time to get it right?

What o_O Carrick, no experience whatsoever! You’d at least go McKenna. But that’s just pointless anyway

Will Pogba stop thinking he’s bigger than the manager if Carrick is in charge? Will Woodward back Carrick in January? There are numerous problems. Give Conte a 8 month contract. Pogba loves him. He commands respect. That’s the only current solution if we do sack Mourinho

Will Pogba stop thinking he’s bigger than the manager if Carrick is in charge? Will Woodward back Carrick in January? There are numerous problems. Give Conte a 8 month contract. Pogba loves him. He commands respect. That’s the only current solution if we do sack Mourinho

You can't back an interim manager be it Conte or Carrick or whoever so that's definitely an issue. But right now I don't care who is in charge as long as it's not Jose.

You need to stop thinking short term and think long term. Its that thinking that has got us in this mess in the first place. Clubs that are going places these days are often coming off the back of a 5 year plan that has been thoughtfully constructed , and that takes time.

Even with a Carrick in charge we won't get relegated and there would be a pick up in the playing style. Who cares if he got no major backing for a while. The most important thing is to get the next proper manager spot on and not rush it and make a mistake again. If it takes a year then so be it. We could take a punt on another coach from within the club and make them interim. If they did incredibly well then it would be an option to take them on. As for Pogba , I think he will quiet down once he's playing in a team that can express itself more freely. He's not having much fun bus parking.

Experience isn't everything anyway. LVG and Jose - two of the most experienced managers you could possibly get and they've been s£$%. Give me a good manager over an experienced one any day. Screw experience in fact and lets get the RIGHT manager. This club has to do something DIFFERENT and RADICAL to get out of its rut.

All the old quote goes -----"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

So you agree we shouldn’t keep sacking managers and thinking the new guy will sort it out?

I don't think sacking a manager just for the sake of sacking him is good. If you think you have the right man you stick by him thick or thin. If you realise you've made a mistake then you get rid asap.

There's no point in sacking just for the sake of sacking but there is also by the same token no point in keeping just for the sake of keeping. There have to be much deeper considerations than that. If I buy a car and then I realise that its not the right car then it makes no difference what has happened before and how many cars I may have chopped or changed in the past. All I need to ask myself is " is this the right car for me right now in this present moment (and for the future)" All other considerations are just mental fog that clutter up the system. The moment we make decisions that are contaminated with these distractions then we lose focus.

If you think Jose is worth sticking by then by all means stick by him. But , if like me , you think he isn't worth sticking by then there is little value in just sticking by him for some abstract notion that we "shouldn't become a sacking club".

Absolutely ludicrous to say if we give it to Carrick there would be an immediate improvement in playing style. The guy has been a coach for a matter of months. Are we so blinded by needing to replace Jose, we will give it to some rookie coach? Sheesh.

In the future, I am happy for someone like Carrick to be given a chance but right now? Not a chance.

Absolutely ludicrous to say if we give it to Carrick there would be an immediate improvement in playing style. The guy has been a coach for a matter of months. Are we so blinded by needing to replace Jose, we will give it to some rookie coach? Sheesh.

In the future, I am happy for someone like Carrick to be given a chance but right now? Not a chance.

The last two games? Pah! My granny could improve on that! All you would have to do is put out a basic 4-4-2 and then tell the players to go out on to the pitch and enjoy themselves and there would be an improvement.

Is it possible that you are blinded by your misplaced reverence for "experience" to not see what's going on.

The last two games? Pah! My granny could improve on that! All you would have to do is put out a basic 4-4-2 and then tell the players to go out on to the pitch and enjoy themselves and there would be an improvement.

Is it possible that you are blinded by your misplaced reverence for "experience" to not see what's going on.
I know exactly what’s going on and Jose isn’t the only problem. The whole structure at the club is wrong, the players are not totally blameless in our situation and if they suddenly become better when Jose leaves then they aren’t fit to wear the shirt. You don’t go out week in week out just playing for the manager - you are playing for the club.

To think that throwing Carrick in charge is the solution is incredibly naive.

Apparently they are going to stick with Jose. Just another example of how clueless the board and Ed really are. They stick by a manager too long. Yes I believe in time and managers deserve that. But this club sticks with managers almost for the sake of it.

if they suddenly become better when Jose leaves then they aren’t fit to wear the shirt. You don’t go out week in week out just playing for the manager - you are playing for the club.

...but I think the psychology of what motivates players to play well and the intricacies of how confidence grows is far , far more complex than that. This sort of thing happens (and has happened) at lots of clubs and there's the classic pick up when you get a change of manager. It doesn't mean those players are cheating the club. Were the Chelsea players cheating their club just because Sarri has found a way of getting the best out of his team? A different manager is bound to make a difference and it's naive to think otherwise. If that wasn't true then there'd be no point in having a manager at all. You'd just send the players out looking at the club crest.

I didn't say that Carrick was the solution I just said that we need to make sure the next manager is the right one and for now stop worrying about results and start playing decent football.

Just been reading an article about Leonardo Jardim at Monaco. About to get sacked.

As a potential coach, has done well with a side that regularly sell players, good record with youth, beat PSG to title and had an ok CL run.

Done brilliantly with Monaco but had the rug pulled from under him a bit this year as they've sold off a lot of players which is the business model and the replacements haven't really worked out. There's only so many times you can pull the rabbit out the hat this summer they sold Lemar, Moutinho & Fabinho that's a lot of experience going all at the same time.

Big pay day I’m guessing bump up the bank balance in another low tax nation.

I'd give it Carrick until the end of the season, we just need Mourinho gone now.

Southampton have just sacked Hughes, Southampton looked like they were running their arses off against us ........modern day football is crazy

I'd give it Carrick until the end of the season, we just need Mourinho gone now.

Southampton have just sacked Hughes, Southampton looked like they were running their arses off against us ........modern day football is crazy

Blew a 2-0 lead at home to a mid table side he had to go haha!

Think Hughes was gone whatever the result.

Blew a 2-0 lead at home to a mid table side he had to go haha!

Think Hughes was gone whatever the result.

No I agree with you that he had to go, no win in 9 games and thats how cut throat football is in 2018, 8 months and your off !

Just the fact that the players seemed to care and were trying to do something, only Marcus was trying to make something happen for us and obviously noone is playing for the manager, most certainly Pogba - he was really poor on Saturday.

If things carry on then we will actually become one of the mid table sides come the end of the season.

I think there is little chance of top 4 now. So basically Ed is putting all his eggs on Jose winning the CL if he doesn't sack him.

They both should go.

We actually gained a point on the top 4 this weekend. 8 points behind. 16 off of first. 13 clear of relegation.

I wouldn’t say 4th is gone yet but it’s getting more likely with every game that we won’t make it. But this side is capable of starting to perform. We’ve seen time and time again that they turn things around just as we write them off.

I don’t get our Old Trafford form though. Mourinho has the record unbeaten run at Old Trafford in the clubs history. How have we become so soft.

It's mathematically possible of course, but Spurs and Arsenal look streets ahead of us. I don't see us catching them.

Liverpool playing poorly compared to last season and are 2nd. Says quite a lot. We are so far away from top 4 it's unreal.

I don't really understand what our board are waiting for. Unless they are still searching for a DoF before appointing a new manager. But even if this is the case, give the job to Butt or any internal coach in the mean time.

The life is being drained out of the club. And I know getting rid of Jose won't stop that and the problems run much deeper but it's a start.

We've got to do something to try and encourage Martial and De Gea to stay. Or we will be paying top dollar for second rate replacements when we need to be spending that money elsewhere.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back