Ibrahimovic scheduled to return to full training this month

Sideshow Bob

Is his return a masterstroke or will it be a hindrance?

Personally, I was indifferent to the news that he was returning for a second season. He will score goals, including important goals, but there's a nagging feeling we should have moved on. He could be a good option if used correctly, but will he be used correctly?

Questions I ponder:

His form after such an injury at his age?
What impact will he have on the team's attacking play?
Will he be a regular in the starting XI?
Would he be happy with a role from the bench?
Will he be an automatic sub?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Depends how Jose sees him does he see him as a starter maybe playing in behind Lukaku or in rotation with Lukaku imagine those 2 fully fit and fresh and maybe seeing one come off the bench.

I don't actually think the injury will effect him that much as he never relied on pace or speed and if it has healed he should still have his power and flexibility.

The issue with Zlatan has always been the same when he plays everything goes through him as the ball is like a magnet to him.

If he could play as a 10 and just dictate the play with guys around him doing the running he could be deadly.

I wouldn't like to see Ibrahimovic at 10. He would slow down the tempo of play. His poor mobility will be a bigger issue than lack of pace, which would be exaggerated more at 10 than as the lone striker. The quickness of play, speed of transition and the mobility of attacking players has been key to the improvement in our football this season.

Tricky. I agree with parts of both agreements for and against him staying another season.

I look at him now as purely a rotation player. When you think that we've got Ibrahimovic as a back up, that's a massive statement to anyone in football really. I think he accepts that role to. It's shown in his pay cut as much as anything, that he knows and the club knows, that his not going to be our main man this season.

You can't forget he scored a lot of goals last season and some were vital. Despite him being slow. And despite him slowing us down. So if he comes off the bench and chips in with a goal and helps us steal something it's worth it. No one knows if Rom can sustain playing 90 mins twice a week maybe more over xmas, so Ibra can give him rest here and there as well.

The number 10 thing I'm not sold on. There's a fluidity and rotational feel about our side at the minute. He'd kill that. Stone dead. So for me it's only as a back up striker. How well that goes down with him over the season will boil down to how Jose manages him. But they've got a good relationship. Ibra might only wants matches here anyway at the minute. If he can get a few more goals for united and win something else it all helps proving to the world his still got it. so pay me a lot of money and I'll come to your club on a free next season.

In a race who would win Mata or Zlatan? I mean it would be pretty close but Mata probably releases the ball quicker.

Ibra is a hell of a weapon to have when you need to smash down a door rather than maybe sneak your way in.

It all depends on how Ibra see himself now he's back I can't imagine he's done all the hard rehab to just be a bit part player he will still see himself as the man and he's certainly a leader in that team but can Jose keep him in the right frame of mind when he isn't starting.

I can't wait to see the big man back but I can also understand people being cautious.

Ibrahimovic and Mata are probably of similar pace, however Mata's movement is excellent, it's one of his best qualities, which is the difference for me.

To be honest, I wasn't keen on Ibrahimovic's arrival, so I'm a little biased in my opinion. He was a success last season, but was his success at the expense of the team? I'm just wary of his influence on the team if he wants more than a bit part role.

It's hard to put to much blame on him last season guys like Martial, Rashford, Mata & Mhiki all really struggled and it's hard to say if that was just down to the way Ibra played slowing us down. I mean he wasn't the only one missing chances in games it was a team effort being that bad in front of goal.

He's always been a player who totally dominates the way a team plays from the moment he arrives at a club and maybe this team has moved on from that a little bit but Lukaku isn't that involved in the way the team plays he just waits for chances and pounces.

I tend to agree that both together from the start won't work but I think with guys like Rashford & Martial full of confidence Zlatan can thrive. I think the main difference between them is Ibra wants to be on the ball a lot whereas Lukaku is happy to wait for chances to come he stays up top and waits for the team to bring the ball to him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back