How long do we give Solskjaer?

My issue is that I have the same complaints as I did 1-2 years ago. His improvement is minimal. The performance against Young Boys should have had alarm bells ringing for even his staunchest supporters.

My problem is this. You were chairman of the Mourinho out party. Another manager comes in and everyone is getting aboard the Ole out party. Are we just going to keep trundling through managers with no direction? Do you think Ole hasn't taken this club massive strides forwards and the club is in a much better place than when he took over?

My problem is this. You were chairman of the Mourinho out party. Another manager comes in and everyone is getting aboard the Ole out party. Are we just going to keep trundling through managers with no direction? Do you think Ole hasn't taken this club massive strides forwards and the club is in a much better place than when he took over?
Is that a question or a statement?

Not really. You’re basing an argument about how bad Ole is on how many shots we’ve had without scoring.

Need to take those Ole out tinted spectacles off for one moment and have a coherent argument.
Let's put it another way. He's just watched his side fire in 27 shots against West Ham. No goals and out of a domestic trophy at 1st port of call.
In his shoes, wouldn't u suggest to all concerned that that strategy didn't work, let's try this..... ?

Are you incapable of reading? Accept that someone has a different opinion than you.

Ok, well let's proceed with Ole competing with Guardiola, Tuchel & Klopp for another few years and see how we go?

Could be worse, could be the women's team, just been watching them concede an awful goal. They look terrible

If it's not coaches coaching the team then they can go anyway
Ole is doing well as manager, looking at team play, it's the coaching where the problems lie

Can't find any actual quotes, but reports of players not liking his coaching and methods, lacks experience etc, which is a bit how we play

What if they are coaching the team to do exactly what Ole tells them to do?

As far as I’m aware Ole is hands on with the coaching he’s on the training pitch with them not sat in his office it’s his job to prepare them the coaches are there to support that. They are his coaches so if you think they are crap you have to include Ole in with them. I’ve not heard any rumours that Ole is some sort of old school manager who only turns up on match day to pick the team these guys don’t exist anymore he’s with them every day on the training ground coaching them. So what we see on matchdays is the result of his coaching.

It’s the one area that you can clearly say he’s failing but it’s the one thing we can all see for ourselves he’s done fantastic work but he needs to sort out the performances on the pitch quickly as that is where a manager has to be judged. A Utd manager has to be judged against the best because we demand that from our players so we must do the same with the manager.

Are you incapable of reading? Accept that someone has a different opinion than you.

I asked you two questions. But instead you'd prefer to be rude. Fair enough.

Perhaps accept someone has a different opinion. And will therefore have questions.

It's clear I don't like seeing managers sacked. Especially when you can see they're moving the club forwards. Others think sacking the manager is always the best option.

The thread was started 9 months into his reign after the start to his first season which from memory was a bit iffy.

Him still being here 2 years later suggests he’s done some good work rebuilding the club from the mess he was in but it’s fine to have doubts about him being able to take it all the way to the end.

Pressure at Utd will be huge the world is always watching and the fans wants to see a winning team again.

It's clear I don't like seeing managers sacked. Especially when you can see they're moving the club forwards. Others think sacking the manager is always the best option.
How long are you prepared to hold onto a manager whose not good enough to win the big trophies? Five years? Ten?

I think you've got to analyse it a bit more than just trophies. The club was in a total mess through throwing a new manager in every two years. You cannot do that at a club like United where the manager picks the players he wants.
Ole has done an amazing job sorting this side of things out. In the background the club seems to be being run much better.
The focus now must be on the results and performances. Of course he needs more time, but he's put the pressure on himself with poor performances and results.
Questions should be asked, because currently it's not encouraging.
Why did he wait so long to make attacking subs yesterday?

I think you've got to analyse it a bit more than just trophies. The club was in a total mess through throwing a new manager in every two years. You cannot do that at a club like United where the manager picks the players he wants.
Ole has done an amazing job sorting this side of things out. In the background the club seems to be being run much better.
The focus now must be on the results and performances. Of course he needs more time, but he's put the pressure on himself with poor performances and results.
Questions should be asked, because currently it's not encouraging.
Why did he wait so long to make attacking subs yesterday?

He had to use two subs for injuries yesterday so with only 1 sub left my guess is he had to leave it as late as possible as only 3 subs in PL games. If he makes the sub earlier he risks playing with 10 men due to injury.

Given the way things were going I think he’d have liked to get Cavani and Sancho on but he couldn’t after Maguire injury.

Injuries forced his hand with subs yesterday.

In hindsight it would have been a bad decision because of Maguire's injury. But for me changes needed to be made before the 66th minute

How long are you prepared to hold onto a manager whose not good enough to win the big trophies? Five years? Ten?
Honest question as I wasn't here then, and couldn't be bothered to dig through old threads. What was the mood like on here at the end of the Mourinho reign? Were people optimistic about the future? Did they feel like we could consistently challenge for trophies? Did they foresee a return to the top 4 where we could hold our own against the big boys? Or, did they expect us to do what Arsenal have done, and plummet into mid table mediocrity?

I ask because I didn't see any way back to the top until the Glazers left. The squad was a collection of misfit toys who were overpaid and entitled, despite accomplishing nothing, and the board not only weren't going to replace them, but had backed them over the manager, despite them downing tools. The culture and atmosphere around the club was as toxic as it gets, and we were falling down the table.

In a lot of ways there are parallels between Fergie's task when he took over in 86 and Ole's. In Fergie's 4th season (which Ole is in now) he finished 13th and won the FA Cup. Ole has bettered the league position, but lacks a trophy. I would rather see us solidify ourselves at the top of the table, consistently in the title conversation for the next 2 seasons than yo-yo between 3rd and 7th but pull the odd domestic trophy. If at that point he's incapable of winning a trophy, and the squad is good enough to finish second-third with regularity, then the manager needs to be replaced.

Personally, I want nothing to do with a potential return to the dark days of Mourinho. If 'all' Ole does is solidify us as one of the best teams in the league over the next 2 seasons, I'm happy with that.

In hindsight it would have been a bad decision because of Maguire's injury. But for me changes needed to be made before the 66th minute

He seems to like leaving his subs until around 70 minutes but I think Maguire went down in the 55th minute and tried to soldier on, Cavani only just back to fitness too so maybe only wanted to give him 15-20 minutes.

Yeah he could have tried a real gamble dropping McTominay into the defence to avoid bringing on a CB but I think that would have been a massive risk as Villa we’re giving us problems when they came forward.

Think a big problem he’s got right now is he’s got a lot of players who on an individual level aren’t playing at their best. De Gea, Pogba, Greenwood and Ronaldo are the only players who I’d say this season look to be at something near their best everyone else seems to be struggling.

I think if ole were to leave or be sacked he will leave them in a much better place than Jose left them. That has been something ole has done very well. The next bit I am struggling with a bit. In truth I think it is too early for him to be sacked but by the same token I don't want things to go bad and ole leave them in the same situation Jose did. Doesn't strike me that ole is the type of guy to do that. Personally I think we should persevere with OLE for a while but ultimately I think he will be sacked.

I asked you two questions. But instead you'd prefer to be rude. Fair enough.

Perhaps accept someone has a different opinion. And will therefore have questions.

The Mourinho out chairman quip was unnecessary. It’s typical of how you try to construct a discussion. I can’t be arsed with point scoring on the internet.

You may have said it for a long time but it isn't true. If Ole looks like he's failing to reach the targets set by the owners he'll be sacked. He's just hit the targets set by them every season so far.
Just hope the owners targets are aligned withy our aspirations which isn't top 4 ( I am behind Ole by the way )

You could get all the midfield players you want but if we don't have a system of play then it makes no difference. From the outset it has been clear we still do not have a defined way of playing. Even if you don't have the players, you start implementing a method of playing so all the current players are clear on their roles and responsibilities, and buy players to suit the system.
I think we have a defined way of playing its called attacking football

The Mourinho out chairman quip was unnecessary. It’s typical of how you try to construct a discussion. I can’t be arsed with point scoring on the internet.

Tbf if you couldn't be arsed with needless point scoring you wouldn't have made the nonsense comment about me not being able to read. That was a stupid statement and out of order.

My comment wasn't unnecessary because you do seem to have a passion for sacking managers. Looking back now you were probably correct in Mourinho being sacked I just asked if you believe Ole has moved us forward. I don't get why that question angered you so much.

But let's not pretend I'm the one out of order. You had no need to be a dick but chose to be.

The last few games have not been great, on the eyes or on the results. Set targets for Ole, if he meets them he stays, if he doesn't, he goes. What do we consider the minimum targets he has to meet?

Top 3 finish
Semi-final of either EFL, FA Cup, or quarter-finals CL.
This season might be too early to demand silverware because our central midfield is a fecking joke. If we get someone in January to fill that role and we are still in contention for the league, the FA Cup, or the CL, then I'd upgrade the requirements to silverware.

I don't care about points targets or trophies this season. I want to see improvement on the pitch. And it's just not happening at the moment
I appreciate we have a terrible midfield so it's hard to dominate. But some of these performances are not just because of having Fred in midfield

Just seems Bob that there aren't too many of the same opinion as u and I
That doesn't seem to be the case when u read other media, listen to pundits who r all ex-pro from the modern game and ex- Utd players, who all played with Ole. They all seem to be of the same mindset, that is, that Ole isn't good enough.
I think what Ole's disciples might want to have a look at is the bookies' price on 1st EPL manager to be sacked this season. Ole dropped from 40 to 1, down to 14 to 1 in the last fortnight.
Bookmakers don't often get it wrong!

I know I'm not meant to reply to you Mac, but I'll try to not be antogonistic on your post.

I can't see him being sacked first, he's just signed a new deal, and historically, we normally wait until we are out of all comps. And I'm not sure the ex pro's are saying sack him, they are saying he needs to turn it around.

Which is basically how I feel. I am a back Ole fan, not just because it's Ole, but because I'm not a big fan of continually sacking managers. So far he hasn't done anything to warrant sacking either, and there aren't exactly many candidates to replace him. I don't think we want a Conte type character who will just tear up all the good work Ole has done. It needs to be a like minded manager.

In the past I wanted Jardim, but I guess there is a problem with him as no big club has gone near him. And while he was at Bournemouth I thought Howe would be good. But clearly now he's not. So we have to be a bit careful about not just pumping for the lastest bright spark.

I don't think Ole should be sacked yet anyway, it's only 5 games into the season, but he is running out of time. And what's happened to Sancho, he seems to have gone backwards.

He's got start putting in some serious decent, convincing performances, and not continue with this walking on a tightrope of win or loss. When I'm listening I don't hear anywhere near enough possesion. And just stop this Mcfred in the centre, it doesn't work.

Bookies get it wrong all the time but even when they're wrong sometimes they can still make a lot of money.

His odds shortening just represent a run of bad results they're covering the market to make sure they don't get caught out and 14/1 is still pretty long odds.

Ole has come through some tough spells January 2020 felt like the point of no return then Bruno arrived and energised the club again, then we had the dissapointment of the group stage last season but we actually got on a decent league run and found ourselves top briefly before City just ran away. It feels like another one of those moments to be honest I think we'll bounce back and win the next 2.

It's easy to point at McFred but it's also the front 4 and full backs who aren't really working together as a unit to create good chances. Easy to blame the two lads in midfield as we know they're probably the 2 least talented on the pitch but those 4 forward players are in the team to create/score and they haven't been doing it recently. They aren't really asked to do a lot of defending either they are there to be scorers and all of them need to up their game a bit and start working together rather than trying to be superman on their own every time they get the ball.

What if they are coaching the team to do exactly what Ole tells them to do?

As far as I’m aware Ole is hands on with the coaching he’s on the training pitch with them not sat in his office it’s his job to prepare them the coaches are there to support that. They are his coaches so if you think they are crap you have to include Ole in with them. I’ve not heard any rumours that Ole is some sort of old school manager who only turns up on match day to pick the team these guys don’t exist anymore he’s with them every day on the training ground coaching them. So what we see on matchdays is the result of his coaching.

It’s the one area that you can clearly say he’s failing but it’s the one thing we can all see for ourselves he’s done fantastic work but he needs to sort out the performances on the pitch quickly as that is where a manager has to be judged. A Utd manager has to be judged against the best because we demand that from our players so we must do the same with the manager.
Old school managers sat in their office?
Only turned up on matchday?
Don't know where u dreamed that up from?

Teams who are good at attacking football create more than a series of half chances; they carve teams open.

Great teams defend as well as they attack.
And good DMs, look at who West Ham & Villa have playing in those positions. Quite impressive.
Kept Bruno and Pogba at bay at the weekend

The last few games have not been great, on the eyes or on the results. Set targets for Ole, if he meets them he stays, if he doesn't, he goes. What do we consider the minimum targets he has to meet?

Top 3 finish
Semi-final of either EFL, FA Cup, or quarter-finals CL.
This season might be too early to demand silverware because our central midfield is a fecking joke. If we get someone in January to fill that role and we are still in contention for the league, the FA Cup, or the CL, then I'd upgrade the requirements to silverware.
He's had almost 3 years to sort out his midfield mate. He signed DVDB, a very accomplished young player, but won't give him any bloody game time, thanks to his preference to u know who and who

I know I'm not meant to reply to you Mac, but I'll try to not be antogonistic on your post.

I can't see him being sacked first, he's just signed a new deal, and historically, we normally wait until we are out of all comps. And I'm not sure the ex pro's are saying sack him, they are saying he needs to turn it around.

Which is basically how I feel. I am a back Ole fan, not just because it's Ole, but because I'm not a big fan of continually sacking managers. So far he hasn't done anything to warrant sacking either, and there aren't exactly many candidates to replace him. I don't think we want a Conte type character who will just tear up all the good work Ole has done. It needs to be a like minded manager.

In the past I wanted Jardim, but I guess there is a problem with him as no big club has gone near him. And while he was at Bournemouth I thought Howe would be good. But clearly now he's not. So we have to be a bit careful about not just pumping for the lastest bright spark.

I don't think Ole should be sacked yet anyway, it's only 5 games into the season, but he is running out of time. And what's happened to Sancho, he seems to have gone backwards.

He's got start putting in some serious decent, convincing performances, and not continue with this walking on a tightrope of win or loss. When I'm listening I don't hear anywhere near enough possesion. And just stop this Mcfred in the centre, i

He's got start putting in some serious decent, convincing performances, and not continue with this walking on a tightrope of win or loss. When I'm listening I don't hear anywhere near enough possesion. And just stop this Mcfred in the centre, it doesn't work.
You're not being antogonistic, just antagonistic!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back