How long do we give Solskjaer?

Prior to the departures of Sanchez and Lukaku I thought the club should have signed two midfielders and an attacker before a new centre back. A centre back should have been way down the priority. It was incredible that fans thought the likes of Sanchez and Mata would perform to a decent level.

I don't think all is lost if, and it's a big if all the players can stay relatively injury free. If all fit, I would play 4-3-3; Fred, McTominay and Pogba in midfield, with James on the left, Martial and Rashford on the right. Pogba should be given the freedom to roam and be nearer to the opponents penalty area. I have no idea why at times he has played deeper than McTominay.

lets be honest, none us really knew how lame Rashford is up front.

To be fair, I have said on a few occasions on here over the years that Rashford isn't a striker. He doesn't possess the movement of a natural goalscorer highlighted by the Ian Wright video in the Rashford thread. I don't think he's a natural finisher either. Time will tell if he can develop the ability.

yeah, injuries to our weak squad are a killer.

I get what you say about the CB, but if the rocks are rolling that way, then that's what happens. We could get the CB we wanted, but not the forward I guess.

I was with bob on this. Midfield was always massive to me followed by right flank. Of course we needed a centre back but not at the expense of other positions

was it a the expense of though, or was it just that the players weren't available.
I don't think we should have hung on to Pogba, we should have sold him early and built a new midfield. Maybe there were no offers though

I don't think Ole has enough tactical nous; a well articulated and fully formed vision of how the game should be played. That's why the players look lost.

Lampard has had more impact at Chelsea in less time and with less money. Look at what Rodgers is doing at Leicester. Neither club has significantly better squads than ours.

No easy way out of this one if Ole can't see he's not up to the job.

So I'd like to know... At what point do people start to think maybe Ole isn't the man? Results are poor and that's to be expected. But the performances? It's turgid.
We have fans starting on the Poch bandwagon again but he appears to be wilting under the Levy pressure which tells me he wouldn't last 5 minutes with Ed & the Glazers. Ole has to be given time but my concern is that tactically he seems to be a bit naive but maybe the longer he gets the better he will get, who knows.
We really need a very strong manager at Utd bcos I watched Jose quickly deteriorate and he aged 10yrs in 6 months and his managerial record is second to none. LVG should've been given more time bcos since SAF I believe he is the strongest manager we've had and he may have handled the Glazers better than the rest. Everybody likes Ole and don't want him to fail but the problem is that Ed in his infinite wisdom dare not sack Ole because the backlash would be enormous and if Ole does fail which I hope he doesn't but we make get stuck in a position where Ed dare not sack him and he's not the man for the job then everybody loses out but I hope it doesn't come to that.
No matter what the Glazers and Ed are our obvious problem and change must start from the top down or ANY change will never work either from the bottom up or starting in the middle by sacking the manager. From the TOP down is the ONLY way forward and the Glazers must go or NOTHING will change and the managers will keep on getting sacked.

I say give the man a chance, we're only 7 games in and all talk is of sacking him, just adding more pressure.

I think it would be a harsh sacking. He hasn't really had much of a chance. I guess it would depend on who is available too

I don't think Ole has enough tactical nous; a well articulated and fully formed vision of how the game should be played. That's why the players look lost.

Lampard has had more impact at Chelsea in less time and with less money. Look at what Rodgers is doing at Leicester. Neither club has significantly better squads than ours.

No easy way out of this one if Ole can't see he's not up to the job.

Well lets judge Lampard after a few more matches we learned from Ole that a good start can quickly evaporate and I'd argue Lampard has a much better squad of players to chose from than Ole. They're a bit suspect defensively but he still regularly has players like Alonso, Barkley, Pedro, Giroud that he can call from the bench who he knows you can rely on our bench is littered with guys well past their best and kids who haven't played much above U23 level.

Leicester is a well oiled machine as a club has been for years it's been a club with vision and strategy they scout well and sell well and they appoint well when it comes to managers. I think man for man their starting XI is as good as ours how many of our players get in their team. De Gea, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Pogba (on a good day), James so that's 5 of ours and 6 of theirs.

So we come to Ole I think he's suffering like every manager does with the way the club has been run for 6 years the squad is an absolute mess and he's done the right thing in clearing the decks as best he can but he's been let down by the club in terms of replacements, 3 ins was nowhere near enough.

However, on the pitch I think he is failing to show us anything that makes you believe if he gets the right players he'll build a good team we are nearly a year in but still no one idea what he's trying to do.

Ole has to be given time but my concern is that tactically he seems to be a bit naive but maybe the longer he gets the better he will get, who knows.
Tactically he isn't naive, he's pretty clueless. He's got no real style other than counter attacking which won't work in the majority of our games.

Once upon a time I would be surprised by a loss to Newcastle - right now it’s like yep could see that coming.

What tactics were we employing today? Absolutely none! At least Newcastle had a plan, their team is as bad as ours but they had a plan and executed it perfectly in truth. You really can’t put into words how bad this is. It’s got to a point when what’s the point of watching, it just depresses fans.

15 (FIFTEEN) points behind Liverpool after 8 games!

I don’t think Liverpool will be the end for him unless we got pummelled by 4 or 5 but he needs to get a run of wins together as this is looking like it will end in relegation.

I think we need to at least get our first 11 back to judge him. Our squad is so bad that beyond the first 11 we are a mid table team.

For me, he has to go. He shouldn’t be given another transfer window; Solskjaer is out of his depth and things will not change. The next manager should be given the funds to buy the players he wants otherwise he could be left with players he doesn’t fancy.

I do worry if he can attract the top talent players do now look at managers and my worry is how many players will want to play for Solskjaer.

@jsp, this is the biggest thing with United that worries me going forward, surely the board haven't appointed Ole because he is unsackable and also they know that big sums of money wont have to be paid out as the bigger names simply wont be attracted by Ole ?

the agenda's run deep within our club.

My biggest worry is the fans not the manager. It’s the same people calling for Ole’s head as it was calling for Mourinho’s.

It’s going to be an awful season. It’s going to be a worse season when people are intent on putting pressure on instead of getting behind them.

I agree, I think we need to stick with Ole.

But I don't see it happening. I think Poch will be in by Christmas. Just too much rubbish going on in the press. Which is always the way with united. So for this reason I think the situation will carry on for years, until we get a board that will get a plan and stick with it.

All the pundits saying sack Ole, need to look at that team we put out yesterday and say where they think any manager could get that side in the table. Young, Axel, Dalot in teh backline, Fred, Pereira in the middle, Mata, Rashford as a striker. Just not good enough.

I have to be honest I don't see the mileage in a change atm. I can see though that ole isn't the greatest tactically, nor phelan for that matter

My biggest worry is the fans not the manager. It’s the same people calling for Ole’s head as it was calling for Mourinho’s.

There are good reasons to be fair.

It’s going to be an awful season. It’s going to be a worse season when people are intent on putting pressure on instead of getting behind them.

The team has my full support when I’m inside the stadium, however after the game fans are well within their rights to vent their displeasure.

Solskjaer’s managerial record in the Premier League is 7 wins in 34 games (20% win rate).

I’m going to brutally honest now, but any thought that Solskjaer can turn this mess around has to be blind faith.

For me, he has to go. He shouldn’t be given another transfer window; Solskjaer is out of his depth and things will not change. The next manager should be given the funds to buy the players he wants otherwise he could be left with players he doesn’t fancy.
All things we have said for a long time. The saddest thing about these results are that they don't really come as a surprise.

do you think that starting 11 was much better than Newcastles and the result was a giant killing? because I don't. That starting 11 was awful and that's not the managers fault.

I don't think we should keep Ole for sentiment, but I think he should be given a fair chance.

do you think that starting 11 was much better than Newcastles and the result was a giant killing? because I don't. That starting 11 was awful and that's not the managers fault.

I don't think we should keep Ole for sentiment, but I think he should be given a fair chance.
4 wins in 17 games. No away win since March. Enough said. Terrible results, even worse football.

To be honest even in our winning run when Ole first arrived there were times when we looked pretty average. There was this wave of optimism but that quickly waned once he got the job full time. I think myself and a lot of fans are just miffed at his lack of a plan b, I know we don’t have the players but change the formation or something. He does mix things up by changing wingers or moving James more central at times but that doesn’t really help. A new formation may not help but it’ll at least be proactive rather than reactive.

I have always said that we need to keep him because this is a transition phase but it can’t go on how it is right now. If I said to my boss oh sorry I know my results aren’t great but it’ll pick up eventually - when is eventually? Also being a good guy won’t get you anywhere really, maybe he’s too nice to these players when they need their heads knocked together!

We all know where the change is required to get this club going again and it isn’t the manager but had Utd sorted that out previously the football people would never have allowed Ole to be appointed in the first place. Remember Di Matteo at Chelsea came in as the breath of fresh air some how stumbled to winning a European cup but was gone by the following Xmas. Maybe with better more experienced support around him he wouldn’t have made the mistakes he has but that support doesn’t exist here.

Ole is being found out he’s left his squad short of players, he’s backed injury prone players and kids who clearly aren’t ready, he’s now starting to make excuses that contradict previous statements.

He probably needs to go there’s literally nothing on the pitch in months that gives you hope that things will get better.

I think you can give him some slack he’s lost a few key players to injury but the lack of plan this team has going forward can’t be forgiven it just doesn’t look like a team that is being coached but then the same could be said under Jose.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester United: Does he deserve more time?

if they are going to dump him, they should have done it after the Newcastle game so they had 2 weeks. This club is run by fools and desperately needs a DoF
Now that we are in absolute agreement on! I was reading this article early and it's spot on. Giving Ole time just because we've made mistakes with previous managers and because he's a club legend is fundamentally the wrong thing to do.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester United: Does he deserve more time?

if they are going to dump him, they should have done it after the Newcastle game so they had 2 weeks. This club is run by fools and desperately needs a DoF

You don't sack the current guy until you've got the next one ready to go I'd be amazed if the list of replacements hasn't been drawn up and talks are being had, you're unlikely to be able to get anyone currently in work until the summer so it's a tricky one to work out might have to give Allardyce a call ha!

I think Ole will still be in charge for a few more games but I wouldn't be surprised if they make the change after the Liverpool game regardless of the result one result even a win vs them wouldn't change what's already happened.

And the one after that? I know people don't like harping on about the past and fergie etc but there is some validity in reminding people just how bad we were under him at one point. He was signing players like Ralph milne and mal donaghy, and playing an awful brand of football. United fans wanted him out and that was after 5 years. Not saying that solskjaer is the same, or even the right man, but at some point the merry go round has to stop.

And the one after that? I know people don't like harping on about the past and fergie etc but there is some validity in reminding people just how bad we were under him at one point. He was signing players like Ralph milne and mal donaghy, and playing an awful brand of football. United fans wanted him out and that was after 5 years. Not saying that solskjaer is the same, or even the right man, but at some point the merry go round has to stop.
I just go back to my opinion that Ole isn't a good enough manager and he's not shown anywhere near enough. We could let him go on for 5 years and by then we'll be in relegation scraps and even further from returning to the top.

In truth I am not convinced he is good enough but he has barely had a chance to prove it. If at this time next season we are no better than the time will have come for me. Personally I think he will struggle to get through this period. All I know for certain is changing a manager, particularly when it's your 4th in 6 years, after 9 month and 1 transfer window is harsh. That said I guess if everybody thinks he is wrong you might as well make the change. Of course there is a reasonable chance you will be doing it again this time next year.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back