How long do we give Solskjaer?

To be honest I actually feel like a bit of a hypocrite. I am actually quite looking forward to seeing the two young kids and Cavani, I just feel the fans and Ole have been let down by the owners. Deep pockets and short arms.

I think the club was actually right not to pay the £108 million. I am not wallowing in sorrow, but I still want to see our RW problem addressed.

If I thought they were doing for the right reason I would agree with you. Obviously you can't spend money you haven't got. I just don't have enough faith in these owners to believe that. I have absolutely no proof but my suspicion is if they wanted to do it they could, they are just thinking if they do they won't be able to line their own pockets this year. Which I guess is their right

Hey all, first time posting here. Have to agree with many of you that this transfer window was a big let down and confirmed for me kind of what we already know, the Glazers have no interest in making this club great again on the pitch and that there is no coherent transfer strategy.
Looked at in isolation the players they signed are good, Donny seems a class act (I'd start him over Pogba at the moment), Cavani is a proven scorer and the 2 young kids could be exciting but can't see them getting many games this season. Telles isn't Luke Shaw so I welcome anything he can add at LB. So the window basically only addressed one need, LB, and imo ignored 3 other big needs RW, CB and def midfield (in that order). All in all hard to see this window helping us kick on so unfortunately I'd say Ole is on borrowed time :(

There was an expectancy that Sancho would be signed and our RW problem would be solved. That didnt happen and everyone was very dissapointed. But it is done now! I think there is a little bit too much doom among you lot at the moment.
Let's see how things take shape between now and the next window before we get so down. Remember how we were a year ago and how we are now. There has been significant progress with the squad, no doubt about that.

Hey all, first time posting here. Have to agree with many of you that this transfer window was a big let down and confirmed for me kind of what we already know, the Glazers have no interest in making this club great again on the pitch and that there is no coherent transfer strategy.
Looked at in isolation the players they signed are good, Donny seems a class act (I'd start him over Pogba at the moment), Cavani is a proven scorer and the 2 young kids could be exciting but can't see them getting many games this season. Telles isn't Luke Shaw so I welcome anything he can add at LB. So the window basically only addressed one need, LB, and imo ignored 3 other big needs RW, CB and def midfield (in that order). All in all hard to see this window helping us kick on so unfortunately I'd say Ole is on borrowed time :(
Welcome to the forum.

I think your point about what we needed is what we all kind of know and wish was rectified this summer. Another centre back was crucial because as we’ve seen our defence is nowhere near fixed. I also think like you say a defensive midfielder is a must. Matic isn’t getting any younger, McTominay is a prospect still but may only ever be a squad player and Fred has his moments but very erratic still. I see what Arsenal has done with buying in Partey and wish we had been proactive in acquiring a player like him.

I guess we have what we have now so hopefully Ole van turn this team into challengers but I do have my doubts. However, not totally writing it off, we still have an array of match winners and I’m excited by our youth team and also the new young guys signing.

Partey probably would have been a decent Matic upgrade.

I'm mainly down because Ole will be unfairly judged. I'm upset we've let another manager down. He's got a tough task now. Tougher than last year

Welcome to the forum.

I think your point about what we needed is what we all kind of know and wish was rectified this summer. Another centre back was crucial because as we’ve seen our defence is nowhere near fixed. I also think like you say a defensive midfielder is a must. Matic isn’t getting any younger, McTominay is a prospect still but may only ever be a squad player and Fred has his moments but very erratic still. I see what Arsenal has done with buying in Partey and wish we had been proactive in acquiring a player like him.

I guess we have what we have now so hopefully Ole van turn this team into challengers but I do have my doubts. However, not totally writing it off, we still have an array of match winners and I’m excited by our youth team and also the new young guys signing.
Thanks SuperRash.
Yeah I'm trying not to get too down hearted re the transfer window, the 3 league performances so far have been very worrying though, some of the players just look disinterested to me. Hope I'm wrong and that we can turn it around.

I like poch but I don’t think he holds all the answers either , the first player he signs is Harry Kane the Glaziers like to back the manager for the first window in a fashion like taking a woman to a posh restaurant on a first date and buying her lobster then next weekend you take her McDonald’s lol

Sir Alex...
...do you really think Daniel Levy will let you have Kane?
Thought you had your heart set on Sancho?
You need to pay more attention to me...

I never mentioned the word “genius”. But, come on, it was pretty obvious.
It was never 50/50. United missed the deadline and l always felt Dortmund meant what they said (unlike Utd with Maguire).
Didn’t need to be that smart to see it.
Shoot... “the beast”???
Hmmmmm...
...l’ll be careful, then.

It was never 50/50. United missed the deadline and l always felt Dortmund meant what they said
Do you think Dortmund knew that the interest was a smoke screen, and not really all that genuine? And their deadline was a clever way of calling the bluff.

Quote: It has been claimed that Fernandes was left raging with Solskjaer and questioned his tactics during the interval at Old Trafford, but the Portugal international has rubbished that notion - insisting it was an attempt to 'destabilise' the dressing room and revealing he had actually been involved in an exchange with Victor Lindelof.

I think me reading any media now will cease as 99.9% of everything you read about Utd is just junk.

Bruno quoted on TV, out of his own mouth that:
'First it was a discussion with team-mates, as it did not stick, it was a discussion with only one team-mate [Victor Lindelof], as it did not stick now, it is the discussion with Solskjaer.

'I believe it is a way to destabilise the group. What was said is in no way true.

'I was replaced at half-time, it is true, by technical option. The coach told me that the game was almost over and that we would have a lot of games ahead of us. Got it. I was not satisfied but said nothing that could harm the group.'

I'll say it again, I'm sick of the media circus surrounding Utd.

Those quotes won't change anything the media will find something to write about Utd every day because it drives activity on their website or people to buy their papers. Something being true or not doesn't really matter all it's got to do is grab your attention.

Fair play to Bruno for speaking out but this is something he will have to live with at Utd the focus is intense.

Interesting though makes no sense. Why would he be arguing with Lindelof. He wasn't even on the pitch for the shambles.

Interesting though makes no sense. Why would he be arguing with Lindelof. He wasn't even on the pitch for the shambles.

think he was on about the Sevilla game where they were yelling at each other on the pitch, which is fair enough, I've done that no end of times. Some players are vocal, some aren't. Bad performances always bring arguments out in the changing rooms, as an example see the Spurs All or Nothing programme, there is plenty of it going on there. It's just normal human behaviour.

I imagine Ole probably expected a fight at half time when you're 4-1 down and down to 10 men at home to Spurs.

I'd expect to find the players pointing fingers at each other not that anyone had the right apart from De Gea to do that get the impression though that a few lads just sit down feeling sorry for themselves.

Bruno is quite clearly a gobby little git so he probably did have a few things to say but it wasn't why he got subbed off.

think he was on about the Sevilla game where they were yelling at each other on the pitch, which is fair enough, I've done that no end of times. Some players are vocal, some aren't. Bad performances always bring arguments out in the changing rooms, as an example see the Spurs All or Nothing programme, there is plenty of it going on there. It's just normal human behaviour.

Oh I totally agree i'd be more worried if there wern't a few harsh words being said. Me and my keeper have had more than a few verbal spats with each other and we're only playing amateur football.

I imagine Ole probably expected a fight at half time when you're 4-1 down and down to 10 men at home to Spurs.

I'd expect to find the players pointing fingers at each other not that anyone had the right apart from De Gea to do that get the impression though that a few lads just sit down feeling sorry for themselves.

Bruno is quite clearly a gobby little git so he probably did have a few things to say but it wasn't why he got subbed off.
Begs the question why was he subbed off. Surely not because of his workrate

Begs the question why was he subbed off. Surely not because of his workrate

Bruno basically said Ole told him it was a tactical decision.

Game is done he's giving him a rest no point risking him.

By the sound of it Ole threw in the towel and protected his most important player for another day.

That was obvious by his subs. Disappointed in that at the time. We should never say it's all over, especially against Spurs!

That was obvious by his subs. Disappointed in that at the time. We should never say it's all over, especially against Spurs!

At some point you just have to accept the boat is sinking and let it go.

Bruno basically said Ole told him it was a tactical decision.

Game is done he's giving him a rest no point risking him.

By the sound of it Ole threw in the towel and protected his most important player for another day.
I think Bruno is the type to be losing his head and he'd go steaming into the opposition and get himself sent off with frustration. A 3 game ban with him is the last thing we need right now.

Im just waiting on the next episode, something along the lines of:

Being reported the tea cups were smashing of the walls, Ole was giving out hell to Bruno and Pogba for not protecting the defence. Pogba stood up to confront the manager and got caught full on the face by a flying boot resulting in several stiches to the head.
We will get Ole's take on it when the hospital staff advise he is fit for questioning.

Those quotes won't change anything the media will find something to write about Utd every day because it drives activity on their website or people to buy their papers. Something being true or not doesn't really matter all it's got to do is grab your attention.

Fair play to Bruno for speaking out but this is something he will have to live with at Utd the focus is intense.
True JSP, and if Ole is a good man manager he should use the guff the press write about us to create a siege mentality for the squad "look at what they're writing about us, you're Man United players are you gonna stand for that?"

True JSP, and if Ole is a good man manager he should use the guff the press write about us to create a siege mentality for the squad "look at what they're writing about us, you're Man United players are you gonna stand for that?"

Not sure if that fires players up anymore and to do that I think you really need the crowd in the ground buying into it as well us against the world.

Just feel like there's players at the club drifting through their careers right now do they actually want to be the best players in the world and win titles or are they just happy being Man Utd players? Ole I think generally has signed guys with the right attitude but I think there's still a few knocking around who seem happy to take the pay cheque every week even though they know there's little to no chance of playing.

Fear and Respect is the best trait a manager can have like with Fergie a young player would come into the team and give 110% they didn’t want to let him down , I mean imagine if it was you what would you do ? Then you’ve got solskjaer who likes like a mate he’s probably tougher behind doors but he seems nice

Fear and Respect is the best trait a manager can have like with Fergie a young player would come into the team and give 110% they didn’t want to let him down , I mean imagine if it was you what would you do ? Then you’ve got solskjaer who likes like a mate he’s probably tougher behind doors but he seems nice

How can you put fear into the players when they know if they don't perform it's you that losses your job. It's an odd profession where you are actually more powerful than your boss because you are worth more to the owners than the boss in the vast majority of cases.

It's a different mindset now just ruling with the iron first won't work you need to get into each players head in a different way to get him to buy into your standards.

You want to harness a culture where the fear is letting your team mate or your boss down not getting screamed at for making a mistake but the key thing is when someone makes a mistake everyone gets around that person and protects them.

Like I said I think Ole's signed players with the right mindset since he came in.

Where Ole has shown his worth and I dog him about tactics a bit is when he's had time with the players he's generally got them well organised and well prepared. However, were now in a season where he won't get that time to coach them team and when the games come thick and fast that seems to be where things start slipping.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back