How long do we give Solskjaer?

For status and the ability to attract the best players, yes it’s not great but revenue wise, it’s nowhere near a disaster. Compare the revenue we make from other areas against potential CL revenue, then the proportion is pretty small in the grand scheme. The threat to our status is the more pressing concern.

Miss out on champions league this season and it’s a massive hit on sponsorship deals too

That is the most bizarre comment imaginable. Are you really saying it would be your preference we finish outside of the top 4 as opposed to it just being a likely scenario?
People within the club will think we are heading in the right direction. Ole will remain manager. These are bad things.

People within the club will think we are heading in the right direction. Ole will remain manager. These are bad things.
But wouldn’t achieving top 4 be heading in the right direction? Which would in turn make us more attractive to the likes of Sancho? Which again in turn could improve us in the future.

We’ve had many a discussion on it
Shame that. Ole is actually doing good things and we will likely see it start to come to fruition next season. In fact, I am looking forward to seeing us in the next few games with our 2 new faces playing a part.
After the end of season window the squad will largely be Ole's squad. That's the time to judge.
Why change the manager. We have recently been through 2 of the most decorated and successful managers in world football and we know where we are from that.

Finishing 4th is finishing 4th is finishing 4th. There is nothing in the claim it is (or is not) an achievement; it just is what it is. No one really gives a damn how bad the other teams were in any competition, it's not evaluated on a curve. We get 4th, then we earned 4th and it is a step in the right direction.

But wouldn’t achieving top 4 be heading in the right direction? Which would in turn make us more attractive to the likes of Sancho? Which again in turn could improve us in the future.
You could argue that yeah. But I'd argue that this league is a joke right now and actually it's really no great achievement.

Ole is actually doing good things
You have got to be kidding me? He's clueless. He's actually worse than Jose and that's saying something. The only reason people are defending him is because of who he is. These results, in fact the results were better, got Jose sacked 14 months ago. Yet because he's a club legend, which actually is a little over the top, he gets a pass. We are 8th! As close to 14th as we are 4th pretty much. Teams around us are having disappointing seasons and have sacked managers yet some of our fans defend Ole?

I don't necessarily think it's ole they are supporting. I think they have just come to a realisation that if you keep getting so called quality managers in and it keeps going wrong then maybe it's more than the manager. We have got rid of some deadwood, and there is still more to go. His signings by and large have been good. Results, and performances haven't been especially good but anyone who it given this job deserves a fair crack at it. I don't think anybody on here is saying he is definitely the answer, just give him done time. For me he deserves the next transfer window, as long as things don't go horribly wrong, and then he can be better judged.

Finishing 4th is finishing 4th is finishing 4th. There is nothing in the claim it is (or is not) an achievement; it just is what it is. No one really gives a damn how bad the other teams were in any competition, it's not evaluated on a curve. We get 4th, then we earned 4th and it is a step in the right direction.

It's not an achievement in terms of anything meaningful but it's a sign of progress as a club and it's all about the climb back to the top if we get 4th there's more money to spend on re-building that first team and it's an easier sell to players you are trying to attract.

If we get 4th then the target next season has to be 3rd then it's a title challenge.

One last big push if we can get forth I think we should be fairly happy with that considering some of are results so far this season.

It really isn't though. Not with such a pathetic points return. It's a reflection of a very poor league.

It really is though. Regardless of how you’d like to portray it finishing in the top 4 would mean we’ve finished the season as one of the top 4 teams in the country.

It really is though. Regardless of how you’d like to portray it finishing in the top 4 would mean we’ve finished the season as one of the top 4 teams in the country.
In a bad league, whilst getting further away from the apparent goal of contending for the title. We are closer to the relegation zone than the top 4!

It's a poor season for us the point tally so far is shocking, yes we've had injuries but it's how well you cope with them but still if we finish in the top four is that not progress?

It really isn't though. Not with such a pathetic points return. It's a reflection of a very poor league.

The points total will be crap but once the season is finished no one will be looking at the points just your position.

Being a CL club is vital to a club the size of Utd and if we want the board to spend money on players and longer term on the ground then we need to make sure CL qualification becomes a given rather than a target. You can’t win it if you’re not in it.

I’m not sure it is a poor league I think apart from Liverpool and Norwich it’s just a pretty even league this season hence why you’ve got so many teams on similar points.

I think United will be well out of contention for a top 4/5 finish after the next 5 games.

Ok I didn't actually mean to put that so not sure why I did. I meant the top of the table.
Your point is a weak one regardless. Every team outside the top 2 is closer to the relegation zone than the top of the table ( Leicester included due to having played 26 games)

I think United will be well out of contention for a top 4/5 finish after the next 5 games.
In my opinion, if we lose to Chelsea we can forget top 4. That will still not be good enough reason to not give Ole the time needed to get the squad reshaped. That's a job that is showing the required steady progression and will continue in the next window to ensure the team is ready to compete and play a brand of football we yearn for. Here's oping for both Sancho and Grealish.

Your point is a weak one regardless. Every team outside the top 2 is closer to the relegation zone than the top of the table ( Leicester included due to having played 26 games)
And so we take this as a positive? Wow what low expectations we have.

In my opinion, if we lose to Chelsea we can forget top 4. That will still not be good enough reason to not give Ole the time needed to get the squad reshaped. That's a job that is showing the required steady progression and will continue in the next window to ensure the team is ready to compete and play a brand of football we yearn for. Here's oping for both Sancho and Grealish.

I would be on the side of giving Solskjaer another season if there was a clear style of football he is trying to implement and he was being let down by the players at his disposal, but there isn't one. He's out of his depth. The likes of Brendan Rodgers were able to implement their philosophy within months, not the two years that is being touted for Solskjaer. Things would obviously improve with better players but not to the extent people are hoping for.

I'll add that I would nothing more than to be proven wrong.

We do have some tough games but judging by this season, we thrive against the better teams and struggle against the weaker ones, so wouldn’t make such a sweeping statement yet.

Its not weak though. Please do tell me where we have progressed under Ole?
In football terms we haven,t progressed at all.
The club is still suffering from the short term planning of previous managers and turning that around to long term planning takes time that needs to be afforded in order to realise its benefits and reap the rewards that will come.
What do you want? sack the manager and appoint another with a short term plan - fail - sack him and start again - round and round we go.
You need to look beyond to see the potential of the plan Ole has started to execute. Our ridiculous wage bill has been trimmed and that will continue, the signings to date are an upgrade on what we had and will only get better, no longer do we surrender the club and dressing room to players with big ego's and wages, the culture of the club is being recaptured with players who want to fight for the badge. The emergence of players like Greenwood and Williams from our youth set up will continue and the identity of the club will be restored. Soon, with more additions we will have a team with an average age of around 23/24 who will grow and flourish together to make us great again. To expect anyone to bring about immediate success whilst putting this longer term into plan is asking for something close to a miracle, and YES, the horrendous injury list of this season has impacted our season, i believe we would be top 4 comfortably without it - the fact that our squad has been too thin to deal with it is just a symptom of the required process to bring about our re-emergence as top of the table club competing strongly in all competitions.

We do have some tough games but judging by this season, we thrive against the better teams and struggle against the weaker ones, so wouldn’t make such a sweeping statement yet.

United have an indifferent record against stronger and weaker teams. It’s why we are mid table. In January we comprehensively lost to Arsenal, City and Liverpool.

In football terms we haven,t progressed at all.
The club is still suffering from the short term planning of previous managers and turning that around to long term planning takes time that needs to be afforded in order to realise its benefits and reap the rewards that will come.
What do you want? sack the manager and appoint another with a short term plan - fail - sack him and start again - round and round we go.
You need to look beyond to see the potential of the plan Ole has started to execute. Our ridiculous wage bill has been trimmed and that will continue, the signings to date are an upgrade on what we had and will only get better, no longer do we surrender the club and dressing room to players with big ego's and wages, the culture of the club is being recaptured with players who want to fight for the badge. The emergence of players like Greenwood and Williams from our youth set up will continue and the identity of the club will be restored. Soon, with more additions we will have a team with an average age of around 23/24 who will grow and flourish together to make us great again. To expect anyone to bring about immediate success whilst putting this longer term into plan is asking for something close to a miracle, and YES, the horrendous injury list of this season has impacted our season, i believe we would be top 4 comfortably without it - the fact that our squad has been too thin to deal with it is just a symptom of the required process to bring about our re-emergence as top of the table club competing strongly in all competitions.

Excellent post. The ground work is finally being laid. We’ve got the youngest starting line up in the league by some way. The team isn’t given up now and is fighting until the end which is an improvement footballing wise.

In this totally hypothetical situation say you was a supporter of another club in the PL and you needed a new manager and had the chance to appoint Ole would you take it?

So I was going through each club thinking if I supported x would I take ole?

The only club I could make a case for was Crystal Palace and that was just because I assume their fans are bored to death of Hodgson football by now.

If Ole gets sacked tomorrow he struggles to get another job not just in England but in any top league and that is pretty damning as far as I’m concerned.

For me he’s got 4 months to show there’s a plan in place for on the pitch success if we don’t show some consistency in the closing part of the season I think they simply have to sack him.

You need to look beyond to see the potential of the plan Ole has started to execute
And I'm supposed to do that despite the fact that I categorically do not believe that Ole is the right man? And that I haven't thought he was the right man for since before he was hired on a full time basis?

Give Jose Fernandes, Maguire, AWB and James and the results would be far better. And I was no Jose fan.

And I'm supposed to do that despite the fact that I categorically do not believe that Ole is the right man?
No, I am not saying you should do that. You just keep dragging the club down with your negativity and refusing to see the positives of how our club is presently being guided.
The rest of us will will the club and Ole to guide us back to the top through a programme of reshaping of the squad, sensible recruitment and the rebuilding of the clubs identity and culture as opposed to another managers short term plans to either try and rescue or maintain his own stock.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back