How Good Was...... Silvestre?

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So next player is Mikeal Silvestre centre back/left back/run producer.

Out of 10 how good was he for Man Utd

10 is Rio/Vidic/Stum
1 is Prunier

I’ll let others go before I chime in

Sent shivers down my spine when I saw him defending at times - I think very much in the Rojo ilk. He was a decent defender but very error prone. I also actually remember he was a very good crosser of the ball.

I guess the other thread with Nani was kind of easier because I think you remember attackers more than defenders but from what I remember he had some good days but some real shockers. Although he’s not actually a player that lives long in my memory box.

Solid 6 I would say.

Played 361 games for the club over 8 1/2 seasons.

4 league titles
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
1 Champions League (honestly didn’t think he was still here when we won it in 08)

When he left in 2008 I felt at the time it was because Mark Gonzalez, otherwise known as "Speedy", had left Liverpool in 2007 and he was going in pursuit of him.
So I was somewhat surprised when he joined Arsenal.

I'd say... A 6. Capable of really good performances but would usually make a big mistake. I spent my time constantly waiting for him to mess up.

Yeah looking back he missed pretty much the whole 2007-08 season after doing his cruciate was back for the last few months before joining Arsenal that summer. His best years were long behind him at that point.

I’d say a steady performer but he had a clanger in him was a pretty good left back remember him being very quick and could put in a decent cross when he went forward but not really star name from the past.

I’d say 6 out of 10 for him

I’d say a steady performer but he had a clanger in him was a pretty good left back remember him being very quick and could put in a decent cross when he went forward but not really star name from the past.
Yeah I think he was a good left back but I think a lot like Rojo he was at his best for us when he was at centre back. But yeah he had a very good cross and was very quick.

I totally forgot he left for Arsenal if I’m honest.

One of the few United players I genuinely disliked seeing near the starting line up. How did he get so many appearances. I’d have guessed half of that at most without seeing the figure. We were blessed with our left backs before and after him.

When he signed for Arsenal I was in disbelief that firstly we got some money for him and secondly another top 4 team has come in for him.

I’d give him a 5. Spent my time scared when the ball got to him.

I think he was better then he is getting credit for here. I would give him a 7.5
Our defence in general was often disjointed and inconsistent during his time with us, sure , we were even playing Wes Brown in central defence!
He never got a chance to forge a partnership in central defence and in any case I have better memories of him at left back where he would have his work cut out in replacing the 10/10 Denis irwin.
Injuries didn't help his cause at times.
That said, he did carry a Jones like glazed look which gave an impression of uncertainty.
He was a good defender for us during a time where our defence suffered regular inconsistency. This only changed when Vidic and Evra settled and found form alongside Rio maturing.

Yeah I was surprised at the number of appearances but for years he was basically an ever present in the team.

Played 361 games for the club over 8 1/2 seasons.

4 league titles
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
1 Champions League (honestly didn’t think he was still here when we won it in 08)

Ain't Rio transfer after Arsenal winning PL 2002 in 2002 Silly Season??

Why does Stam did 1999 and 2000 and 2001 trophies??

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back