Herrera to Atletico Madrid

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Reports coming out of Spain that he's agreed to join Atletico on a free at the end of the season when his contract expires.

I mean he divides opinion amongst the fan base some think he's amazing others think he's rubbish I sit somewhere in the middle.

I wouldn't have a problem with him moving on if it meant giving Mourinho £20-30m to spend on replacements but to lose him on a free seems pointless, could be pure rumour to try and speed up his contract but talk of a new deal has gone very quiet. The good news is he apparently has an automatic 1 year extension clause in his deal.

I don't think he's part of our first team plans going forward in terms of being a nailed on starter but he's certainly a good squad player.

Herrera has a year on his contract we can trigger so he’s going nowhere on a free next summer.

Also Atletico aren’t allowed to talk to Herrera until Jan 1st so I’d be reporting them to FIFA. I wonder if we’re allowing them to talk to him early as part of smoothing the Grizemann negotiations

Don't mind him leaving if it means we get griezmann. McTominay can take his place in the team for me.

Herrera is a decent player, who will have the occasional good performance. He has been overrated and any comparison to Keane was wide of the mark. I would prefer Saul over Griezmann if Herrera is to be used as a sweetener.

Herrera is a very good player. There’s a reason he was our player of the season last year. Let’s not ignore that

Herrera is a very good player. There’s a reason he was our player of the season last year. Let’s not ignore that

Yeah it was one of our lowest scoring seasons in recent history, we finished 6th and Herrera was a reliable player in a poor season for Utd. Runner up was Valencia basically 2 lads who run around lots and graft but don’t always show great off great technical ability.

I don’t mind Herrera but a CM who scored one league goal all season getting our POTY probably highlights how poor we were last season. Also, if he hadn’t got injured I reckon Zlatan would’ve beaten him to that award.

The way he’s played this season if he doesn’t buck his ideas up then he’s going to struggle to get a lot of games.

I don’t think we should be forcing him out but when Pogba is fit again I think he will be back on the bench.

Herrera is limited, which is why I consider him to be no more than decent. Fergie's quote on Tevez is appropriate for Herrera: "The fans love a trier. That's the great thing about football. A lad who tries a lot can be forgiven for a lot of things." I thought Valencia should have won the award as he was more consistent throughout the season.

The way that Tevez spell panned out hurt, club took their eye off the ball massively with him, he was a difficult personality but he was a world class player that we let slip through our fingers. Losing him and Ronaldo in the same summer was a hammer blow especially when Tevez rocked up at City instead the following season.

Anyway we are short of midfielders with Carrick likely to retire in the summer it’s going to need more investment in the summer as I don’t see Mourinho trusting Mctominay & Periera as regulars. If Herrera is demanding big wages to extend his deal then he might have to be moved on. Hopefully he gets his contract sorted if not I think he can be easily replaced with similar or a better quality player.

He’s got his merits but he’s not a world beater, he works hard and can produce good moments, however I think he is not that adventurous with his passing and tends to pass back rather than forward.

He’s one of those players that I could give or take, if he stays then he’ll do a good job as a squad member, however if he leaves l won’t be losing any sleep.

To me he is another player who has come to Utd and not really shone. When he was at Bilbao he was brilliant, and he even took Utd apart in the CL a few years back. The list is pretty long of players who this has happened to, Shaw, Miki, Depay come straight to mind. You don't really see it happening too much elsewhere so why at Utd?

If Fellaini and Herrera go, Carrick prob needs to leave in Jan, we will need a new decent midfielder plus squad players for next season.

To me he is another player who has come to Utd and not really shone. When he was at Bilbao he was brilliant, and he even took Utd apart in the CL a few years back. The list is pretty long of players who this has happened to, Shaw, Miki, Depay come straight to mind. You don't really see it happening too much elsewhere so why at Utd?

Possibly because we're buying players who either didn't match with the style of football we play or we haven't done our research on the players mentality to see if they were up to the job. Herrera & Depay weren't exactly Van Gaal players, Mhiki doesn't strike me as a Mourinho player so far and Shaw I think was just destroyed mentally by that injury & there may be some lingering beef with Mourinho after he turned down that move to Chelsea.

I think it happens at a lot of clubs we just don't think about the guys who didn't click at other clubs. In recent times we've improved so far of the 7 players Jose has signed 5 have settled in quickly, Mhiki has been stop start and it's still to early to judge Lindelof. I think the first few years post Fergie/Gill was a bit of a mess and a scramble to just sign anyone we could and a lot of mistakes were made. I don't think Herrera was one of them but he seems to struggle to find a consistent level of performance at times last season he was playing really well but this season he's struggled, partly because he's got Matic doing the job that he was doing and he's just not a Pogba replacement.

I think Hererra's role has chopped and changed so much (a bit like Rooneys was throughout his time at Utd) that he hasn't settled as well as maybe he should. He's been used as attacking mid, mid, defensive mid. I'm not even sure I think I know where his best fit is anymore. possibly he nor Mourinho does either. He'll end up like Blind, playing left back if he's not careful :D

He didn't seem to fit with LVG it felt like he was a deal that was done before he took over so he just had to try and make use of him so he tried him in a few positions.

I think his best position has been as the more defensive minded player in the midfield 2 when he played alongside Pogba he's a fantastic ball winner and he's good enough technically to play short passes and look after the ball in tight areas but Matic is just Herrera but 6" taller and about a stone heavier.

He's handy but not a nailed on starter and people got carried away a bit with him last season talking him up as a captain and all that because it's obvious he's football mad and loves being at Utd.

I think Hererra's role has chopped and changed so much (a bit like Rooneys was throughout his time at Utd) that he hasn't settled as well as maybe he should. He's been used as attacking mid, mid, defensive mid. I'm not even sure I think I know where his best fit is anymore. possibly he nor Mourinho does either. He'll end up like Blind, playing left back if he's not careful :D

If 4 years isn't enough for a player to settle then a lifetime isn't enough for him.

Didn’t he actually go to left back in the second half of a game last season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back