Herrera’s Replacement?

IDFD

With Herrera's contract expiring in the summer. We'll need to replace him. Rabiot at PSG will also be available on a free. I think he'd make a good replacement if we could make the signing. He's only 23 (24 by the start of next season) we'd be getting his best years and replacing Herrera without denting next seasons transfer funds.

I think he'll re-sign, I hope he does anyway. Good squad player, excellent attitude to the club.

I know Herrera isn't a playmaker but think that's what we need most in our midfield if he or anyone else leaves, a deep lying playmaker. We need more passers in midfield, I don't feel we have that player that keeps us ticking, I think Pogba could do it if someone got hold of him and gave him a shake, he showed against Newcastle in the 2nd half he can do it but needs to mature as a player and stop dawdling with the ball and get drawn into physical battles, just keep the ball moving. If he can prove he can play that role then we need a more mobile defensive midfielder next to him that can replace Matic and Fellaini in the starting lineup. Think Pogba's best performances for us came when Herrera was his partner in midfield as he was more mobile and think that's probably why he performs much better in a 2 for France, though I heard he dawdled again tonight and lost possession for Germany's goal.

Rabbiot can be that player. He’s an exciting box to box midfielder.

Rabbiot has a bit of an attitude problem which cost him his place at the world cup and I'm not sure he'd be happy being a squad player but like you say a very talented player.

Herrera apparently is being offered a lot of money to go back to Bilbao and if he wants to get some international opportunities he might have to go back to Spain but it feels maybe that ship has sailed for him. If he's being offered silly money because he's a bosman then you have to assume Utd aren't going to match that especially for a player who's only ever really been a squad player for us. I quite like Herrera but he's a squad player not a starter so I wouldn't be gutted if he went but he was often a man for the big occassion which we'd miss.

The other big bosman name on the market this summer is Ramsey who we are linked with but to me that one doesn't make much sense unless Pogba goes.

Mata's contract is also up this summer as is Darmian so Utd are going to probably lose 2 or maybe all 3 for nothing this summer.

I think we’ve under utilised Herrera in the time we’ve had him.

I thought Rabiot made the back up players list and basically withdrew himself from selection saying he’s not going to sit waiting on hold. I don’t think there’s any doubting his ability but maybe you’re right about an attitude problem. I also think he’d walk in to our starting 11.

I really like Ramsay and maybe he could work in a 4-2-3-1 but it would mean playing Pogba in a deeper role and I don’t think it would be a good fit for us.

I think a lot of fans are happy to make excuses for Herrera on this idea that he gets the club.

Bit like Fellaini I think Herrera has as many bad games as he does good with plenty of ordinary in between but he doesn't really get the criticism and he just never seems to have really fit the plan either under LVG or Mourinho maybe just didn't quite have the right manager as really he was a Moyes signing. The reports were that the Herrera and Shaw deals were done before LVG got the job and while he didn't object to them that first summer under him he didn't really pick the players as he was busy at the world cup.

Yeah Rabiot refused to be on the reserve list which I think cost him a place in the squad when someone who made the original squad pulled out.

Any plans for the summer really depend on two things

1) who's the manager going to be next season.
2) what system/style does that manager want to play.

Can't say I've seen a lot of Rabiot but you'd imagine if he's getting a regular game for PSG he's pretty handy and should be able to push players for a starting spot. That incident with the national team would be a red flag to me though as do you really want players who have that sort of streak in them in the dressing room.

For me we just never got to see that Herrera that tore us a new one against Bilbao in the UEFA Cup. He is a player with technical brilliance and an eye for a pass and we never let him free at any point.

For me we just never got to see that Herrera that tore us a new one against Bilbao in the UEFA Cup. He is a player with technical brilliance and an eye for a pass and we never let him free at any point.

True but then have we ever had a manager like Bielsa who played that intense pressing style.

I didn't watch that Bilbao side but was he doing that on a regular basis for Bilbao or did he happen to have a great game against us.

I don't think he's technically brilliant certainly not by Spanish standards (obviously high standards) he's good with the ball at his feet but he's not Iniesta, Isco or David Silva.

His best run of form was playing in that 2 man midfield with Pogba in the first season under Mourinho but at times he let himself down with silly bookings which led to red cards was it 2 or 3 times he walked that season?

I guess the real judge of how good he is will be if he runs that contract down where does he end up. Will the elite European clubs some and take him or will he go back to a mid table spanish side? Juventus are the bargain hunters of Europe when it comes to the bosman deals will they come for him?

Been thinking about this when I couldn’t sleep last night.

So say he wants £150k. £7.5m a season. £22.5m over 3 years. Just give it to him? For this reason. Who do we replace him with for £22.5m before we even take their wages in to account?

I like Herrera, he's not elite granted, but he deserves a new deal.

I think Matic has done ok since Ole came in.

I have no problem with any of our midfield apart from Fellaini. It can certainly be improved though.

Been thinking about this when I couldn’t sleep last night.

So say he wants £150k. £7.5m a season. £22.5m over 3 years. Just give it to him? For this reason. Who do we replace him with for £22.5m before we even take their wages in to account?

The sounds coming out are he's decided he wants to stay he's going to reject the approaches from Spain to go back on a bosman as I don't think the offers are their from the top clubs so he'd be giving up European football.

It's all dependant on what he wants if he wants say 4 or 5 years then it changes things I'd be offering something like a 3+1 deal but Utd have to offer incentivised contracts the more you play the more you earn.

This way we get at least 2 more seasons out of him before we maybe try and cash in I think he's good enough to be in a title winning squad not 100% convinced he's good enough to be a starter in a title winning team but he's not a player who needs replacing now so the club should be sorted a deal.

I think the wage bill problem created by signing Sanchez has probably seen him get stuck in the system as him and his agent are benchmarking what they want against that deal. If you've got Sanchez on £350k plus bonuses that could take him up to £500k per week and reports Shaw's new deal is £190k surely as the agent of a player like Herrera you are looking at Shaw going I came at the same time and I've done more than him for the club so I deserve parity with him. There were even rumours that Rojo is on £170k per week after his new deal which is bonkers.

Utd have got to get Herrera, Martial & De Gea wrapped up in the next 6 months and they need to make a decision on Mata as well.

Matic defo has improved since Ole came in but he is still slow and cumbersome and we could do a quite considerable upgrade on him. We're Man Utd not Leicester or Stoke.

In the summer I'd be looking to sell Fellaini and buy another top class centre midfield player I'd be looking to possibly use Herrera in the Matic role as well as his passing is better and he's just as good at recovering possession the only problem with Herrera is I think he switches off sometimes in that role and loses a runner.

Matic looks a totally different player in recent weeks but he's not got many years left at the top I think one more season and he might get moved on, hopefully Fred settles in and we see more from him as well.

Another solution is would a new manager trust Lingard as a midfielder like Southgate did at the world cup? I don't think he'd be a starter but he's provide cover in this role.

I wondered whether we could swing a swap/ cash deal, lukaku for kante. They are desperate for a striker and kante is being played out of position atm.

Does seem strange that this one is dragging on but you'd hope it's close to being wrapped up guess it just depends what he wants money wise the fact he's playing so well at the moment is probably helping his case for whatever he's asking for.

You do wonder if the uncertainty over the manager is going to be a problem with getting contracts done because players may be reluctant to sign if they don't know who the boss is going to be.

Rabiot - is he worth the bother that comes with him?

Seen a few reports today that Ole would like him

Of the bits I've seen of him I'd question if he's really suited to the prem he's a technically good player but likes time on the ball which you don't get in this league I think he'd be better suited to Spain.

thats what I thought, but it says

He had been expected to join Barcelona, though that deal now appears to be dead, and looks likeliest to move to the Premier League with Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs all interested.

He’s gone to Barca it’s done

Nothings been made official but it's been rumoured for a long time, seems strange that they haven't announced it.

The only thing that makes me question it is they've also signed De Jong from Ajax.

Must be a few heading out from Barca this summer to make way if two midfielders are coming in probably explains why they links to Rakitic & Coutinho leaving are going around.

Wonder why it's taking so long for Herrera's contract to be sorted out?

I thought it all got confirmed the day after he sacked his mother as agent

I thought it all got confirmed the day after he sacked his mother as agent

Can't see anything official the latest stories a week or so ago seemed to suggest Barca were on the verge of pulling out because of his wage demands.

These bosman things are becoming a bit risky for clubs because they really upset your wage structure as we've seen with Sanchez I think the clubs are starting to fight back a bit and say regardless of the fact they're saving on a transfer fee they're not going to pay silly wages. Barca's wage bill is a huge problem for them so I doubt they can offer the sort of money that Juventus have allegedly agreed to pay Ramsey

Apparently he's just been fined by PSG for liking on of Evra's posts about PSG on social media and getting caught in a night club. Fair to say he's not on good terms with PSG but there's clearly a bit of baggage that comes with this guy.

Rumours going round he has an offer from PSG.

Seems very odd that nothing has been announced given the circumstances it makes me think that he’s off and everyone has agreed to keep it hush.

Rumours going round he has an offer from PSG.

Seems very odd that nothing has been announced given the circumstances it makes me think that he’s off and everyone has agreed to keep it hush.
Yeah seen that but the sources are the dredge of the internet so not believing them just yet. The same articles are saying that we are close to signing Rabiot too.

Don’t get me wrong I could see Herrera leave for PSG but not seeing any concrete rumour yet. Also for what it’s worth would be gutted to see him go, he’s become a real favourite of mine and adds some passion and fight to our play.

Herrera is probably my favourite player in the squad but if it works out that we trade Herrera for Rabiot on frees I think we get the better end of the deal.

We all like ander. He is a good guy who understands playing for the club and un an ideal world you would want him in the squad. However if we want to be challenging for the major trophies we will need to improve on him.

RMC now reporting story.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't think we can afford to say a swap is a good deal even if both players are on a free reality is Utd need both we are probably 1 short in midfield I don't know enough about Rabiot to say if he's a better player than Matic/Fred/Herrera who he'd be competing with but he seems to be well fancied by those who know a lot about European football. From what I understand he'd more likely to be a Matic replacement as the deep lying playmaker rather than a box to box guy.

What I just can't see is if the rumours of PSG offering him a 3 year deal on £150k a week are true how Utd haven't been able to match that.

Herrera has talked the talk to the Utd faithful for a while now about loving the club and that and everyone likes to say he gets it but if he's jumping ship then has he just pulled the wool over our eyes?

I personally think Herrera is a squad player in a team that wants to win the league not a starter but Utd needed to keep him and buy better for the first team.

I don't think we can afford to say a swap is a good deal even if both players are on a free reality is Utd need both we are probably 1 short in midfield I don't know enough about Rabiot to say if he's a better player than Matic/Fred/Herrera who he'd be competing with but he seems to be well fancied by those who know a lot about European football. From what I understand he'd more likely to be a Matic replacement as the deep lying playmaker rather than a box to box guy.

What I just can't see is if the rumours of PSG offering him a 3 year deal on £150k a week are true how Utd haven't been able to match that.

Herrera has talked the talk to the Utd faithful for a while now about loving the club and that and everyone likes to say he gets it but if he's jumping ship then has he just pulled the wool over our eyes?

I personally think Herrera is a squad player in a team that wants to win the league not a starter but Utd needed to keep him and buy better for the first team.

This would be very strange if true as he has constantly layed it on about what being at united means to him, but this is football i suppose ....

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back