Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure City are interested, it wouldn't suprise me to be a tactic to raise the price.

He'll be a Utd player by the end of the window.

I don't think City are prepared to pay anything near what we are I think they'd have only come in if Leicester accepted a low price.

Player is happy to come, Leicester I think are happy to sell they just need to be seen to be driving a hard bargain and I think Utd are happy to pay.

We are only away on tour 1 more week it might be that he doesn't actually join up with the team until they return to Europe for their friendlies in Norway and Cardiff.
I hope your rite, we don't need any last day nonsense like last year deadline day bids for Godin

So... Can someone explain why we are going in for Maguire when Alderweireld could be had for potentially a third of the price?

David Ornstein: "Some of the reports I've seen in the last couple of days suggest that maybe United are already starting to look for a more affordable option to Harry Maguire."

Went around twitter again last night that this is imminent.

A few of the big name journalists reported that being the case.

Same fee being reported £80m but no idea what is up front and what is add ons.

Just read that Maguire has a lower pass completion rate than Jones and Smalling last season. I thought his price was so high because of his ability on the ball.

Just read that Maguire has a lower pass completion rate than Jones and Smalling last season. I thought his price was so high because of his ability on the ball.

You need to go into more detail than just pass completion for example does Maguire play more long balls trying to hit Vardy in behind or passes into midfield to find Maddison whereas Jones/Smalling just play loads of short passes to each other or short passes to midfielders who drop deep to collect from them.

I don't watch anywhere near enough of Leicester to say who his passing is like only see him playing for England where it's normally good.

the major concern I have with Maguire is alongside Lindelöf that is not a quick pairing if Utd want to play this front foot pressing style we've seen a lot of in pre season then you'd probably want to have quick centre backs as De Gea is not really a sweeper keeper.

You need to go into more detail than just pass completion for example does Maguire play more long balls trying to hit Vardy in behind or passes into midfield to find Maddison whereas Jones/Smalling just play loads of short passes to each other or short passes to midfielders who drop deep to collect from them.

I don't watch anywhere near enough of Leicester to say who his passing is like only see him playing for England where it's normally good.

the major concern I have with Maguire is alongside Lindelöf that is not a quick pairing if Utd want to play this front foot pressing style we've seen a lot of in pre season then you'd probably want to have quick centre backs as De Gea is not really a sweeper keeper.

You are right that is not a quick pairing but neither were Vidic and Rio in 2008. So I still think it can work for us.

You are right that is not a quick pairing but neither were Vidic and Rio in 2008. So I still think it can work for us.
Well Rio was pretty quick, he obviously lost speed when he got older but in peak Rio/Vidic time he was no slouch. They were the perfect pairing.

I’ve kind of given up thinking about transfer fees, if Maguire will improve is which he will then I am all for it. It’s widely accepted now that you’ll have to pay over the odds for players in this country. Ayoze Perez to Leicester for £30m is one example of transfer fee madness.

I think him and Lindelof will be a good pairing and then have Smalling, Bailly and Tuanzebe as back ups. Jones will probably injure himself nipping to the Spar and Rojo can do one. So with AWB and potentially Maguire I think we have a good basis for a solid defence. Having De Gea signed and sealed and hopefully more focused will help too.

In 2008 I doubt you’d find many quicker centre backs and both were positionally brilliant and dominant in the air they were basically what dreams are made of when it comes to a centre back pairing in that era. Replacing them has been a nightmare because they’ve set the bar so high and no one we’ve signed since them has come close to being near their level.

In 2008 I doubt you’d find many quicker centre backs and both were positionally brilliant and dominant in the air they were basically what dreams are made of when it comes to a centre back pairing in that era. Replacing them has been a nightmare because they’ve set the bar so high and no one we’ve signed since them has come close to being near their level.

Yes I agree they were fantastic but speed wasn't there strong point nowhere near especially in 2008 /2009 they couldn't deal with players like Fernando Torres and Craig bellamy ,what I'm getting at is in 2008 they won the double with not being the quickest .
So I think Maguire Lindleof won't be as bad a pairing as you think.

Yes I agree they were fantastic but speed wasn't there strong point nowhere near especially in 2008 /2009 they couldn't deal with players like Fernando Torres and Craig bellamy ,what I'm getting at is in 2008 they won the double with not being the quickest .
So I think Maguire Lindleof won't be as bad a pairing as you think.

Yeah but what centre backs could keep up with those two? They're 2 of the quickest players ever to play in the league. The art of defending is positioning yourself so well that they can't use that pace against you.

Strikers have nearly always been quicker than defenders although that is changing but still in sprints I imagine the attacking players will nearly always beat the defenders although these days the modern full backs are probably going to be right up there in the sprint challenges.

DDG
AWB Maguire Lindleof Shaw

That's a good defence.

Is it though?

This is the thing with Maguire he's going to cost us a lot of money a record fee for a defender most probably but would he start for City, Liverpool or Spurs? I'm not convinced he would but yet I still think Utd need to sign him because doing nothing is worse than over spending on someone.

Last season was our worst defensive record in the PL era we were appalling at the back will Maguire make this defence a vintage Utd defence I doubt it but will he make it better than it was last year? Probably yes.

£80m is just too much but at this point we don't seem to have much choice. Sad state of affairs.

Started and scored for Leicester tonight. Least he’s getting game time for them so if he does join us he’s had a decent pre-season. Could well have been frozen out if he had his head turned.

Think this will eventually go through but no doubts we will pay over the odds but we need a new centre half a million percent.

Started and scored for Leicester tonight. Least he’s getting game time for them so if he does join us he’s had a decent pre-season. Could well have been frozen out if he had his head turned.

Think this will eventually go through but no doubts we will pay over the odds but we need a new centre half a million percent.

Don't see what Leicester gain by that Maguire has handled it like a pro to be honest the story is out there that he's told the club he'd like to go but if the bids don't come he'll just get on with it forcing something through does no one any favours.

There was talk yesterday that we'd backed off and were going for Koulibaly instead but he's going to cost more than Maguire and I doubt he'd want to come so that story made little to no sense.

Maguire is not going to get us from 6th to 1st but he might be good enough to get us from 6th to 4th and that is the first step of the rebuild and he's probably going to be good enough to then get us from 4th to 3rd maybe even 2nd.

Maguire is not going to get us from 6th to 1st but he might be good enough to get us from 6th to 4th and that is the first step of the rebuild and he's probably going to be good enough to then get us from 4th to 3rd maybe even 2nd.

I think if he has the rite players around him he's good enough to get us 1st.

Yep if he comes he is instantly our best CB then next summer if you can buy better again then you are really shaping things.

Signing no one after last few seasons is a joke that defence has been awful over protected by both LVG and Mourinho and exposed when Ole took the protection away.

Yep if he comes he is instantly our best CB then next summer if you can buy better again then you are really shaping things.

Signing no one after last few seasons is a joke that defence has been awful over protected by both LVG and Mourinho and exposed when Ole took the protection away.
I don't think we should buy another CB next year. Maguire, though I'm not his biggest fan, alongside Lindelof could be a really good duo long term.

However yeah the fact we still haven't addressed the issue is laughable.

Missed training for Leicester today. Obviously SSN are making a massive thing out of it but he’s probably just ill or has a knock.

EDIT: Phoned in sick apparently. Nothing to see here.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just read that Leicester want £90m and not a penny less. My answer to that is they can jog on. Sure he’s experienced in the league but for £90m, we could get better elsewhere and you would hope our scouting system can identify players beyond this league.

£90m, geez.

Surely we have a back up option?

I think in the end we are going to have to cave and pay what Leicester want, if not then we are going to end up with no new centre half which isn’t ideal.

Surely we have a back up option?

I think in the end we are going to have to cave and pay what Leicester want, if not then we are going to end up with no new centre half which isn’t ideal.

Isn't ideal? It's a massive massive issue if we don't sign a centre half and quite frankly I think Ed needs shooting at this point. What in the hell is he actually doing?

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed no bids that have met their valuation have been received.

Basically reiterating the price is the price no negotiation meet it or move on.

Leicester won’t be panicked into selling as they don’t need the cash.

We should have gone to plan B long ago. Woodward is a jerk who doesn't know what he's doing.

We should have gone to plan B long ago. Woodward is a jerk who doesn't know what he's doing.
It’s not easy to sign the right kind of players though. Sure it was when we were winning every trophy under the sun but many teams have passed us all over Europe and we are trying to fight our way back. We should have a plan b but do we want to just sign any old defender because we can’t get Maguire? It has to be right for this new vision under Ole.

This is not an overnight job. We need to slowly rebuild, if it takes a good few years then fine but we can’t just go spunking money on players just because our first choice isn’t available.

This is not an overnight job. We need to slowly rebuild, if it takes a good few years then fine but we can’t just go spunking money on players just because our first choice isn’t available.

And what about last year? And all summer so far? He's messing up and he's messing up this club's future. Maguire apparently is keen to leave so what is he messing about at?

Last summer the club needed a centre back and needed to move Rojo on, even if that had happened this summer another centre back was required. Utd have 5 first team CBs on the books in my opinion last summer was the start of a plan to sell 3 of them and bring 2 in.

Maguire is probably the best we can get yes we are going to have to over pay but what else is new.

We are the 6th best team in the country the first step is get back in to the top 4 then from there we have to go again to try to challenge for the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back