Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If they weren't prepared to pay for him last season why would they agree to do it now?

I don't mind Maguire but refuse to believe with proper scouting you couldn't find a similar quality player at half the price playing in another league.

If he came in he'd walk in alongside Lindelöf no problem but if you consider Smalling a 6/10 defender which he probably is Maguire is probably a 7/10 defender if you're dropping the sort of figure required to get him £60-70m surely you want to be getting an 8 or 9/10 defender.

This was a classic case of Utd being asleep at the wheel when Hull went down if they'd been paying attention they could have snapped him up for £15m no problem he'd had a couple of really impressive games under Silva as well.

90m fee

Mad to think this player was scouted by Utd back in Fergie’s last season when he broke through at Sheffield Utd they’d have got him for about 5m back then.

I think Maguire could be a good partner for Lindelof but the fee is bonkers even in this market 50m should be more than enough to secure Maguire he is not an obvious stand out player like Van Dijk. Van Dijk also carried a big mark up because Southampton were furious that they tapped him up the previous summer and the fact Liverpool kept buying their players.

Leicester won’t be bullied though they forced Mahrez to stay until City we’re prepared to pay a huge fee as they don’t need the money.

I don’t get this. Anything over £50m is an absolute joke.

I wouldn’t even want him at that tbh. There are much better out there for that price.

If we spend £90m on Maguire then sheesh. Surely there is better value out there? I know he’s english and he’s got EPL experience and that would inflate the price but I see other players who will cost half that. Could get Manolas for £30-40m, Milenkovic also - Militao cost Madrid £42m.

I understand we want to buy young and British but I would rather we look elsewhere and bring Tuanzebe into the first team fold.

I don’t get this. Anything over £50m is an absolute joke.

I wouldn’t even want him at that tbh. There are much better out there for that price.

If you go Bailly & Lindelöf are £30m then add on the mark up for English players plus the prem to prem deal mark up £50m is in the right ball park.

I like Maguire think he's an improvement on all our current centre backs think he's the right style of defender to partner Lindelöf, doesn't get injured very often, decent enough on the ball, wins plenty of headers etc. He isn't the most glamourous of defenders but for where we are right now I think he's in the mould of what we need rather.

£90m is stupid money though that should buy you any centre back in the world we can't be paying that at a stretch you can go to £60m he's probably the best centre back outside of the current top 6 in the Prem and these clubs are not selling cheap anymore.

If Wan Bassaka is 40 - 50 then you've got to say he should be more.

It's all silly money though.

Maguire is definitely an improvement on what we’ve got but if Leicester want £90m I would say thanks but no thanks, you can have £50m but if you want a penny more then more fool you - no one is paying above £60m for him. We can’t be held to ransom just because we can afford big transfer fees.

Maguire is definitely an improvement on what we’ve got but if Leicester want £90m I would say thanks but no thanks, you can have £50m but if you want a penny more then more fool you - no one is paying above £60m for him. We can’t be held to ransom just because we can afford big transfer fees.

Offer them 50m and Phil Jones ;)

I was actually thinking about it the other day on a serious level. £50m plus Jones would save them replacing him. Get 100k a week off of our wage bill and Jones would be a very good defender at a club that defends all the time and plays on the counter. His biggest problem seems to be lapses of concentration which would happen less often playing for a back foot team. When we’re backs against the walls he has good games. He’s a calamity when running back towards his own goal.

I don’t think the question has ever been doubt that Jones is a decent defender. Yes he has lapses but he can also be very good, it’s just he picks up so many niggly injuries during a season. When he has a good run of form he hasn’t actually looked too bad but then he gets these injuries which disrupt his rhythm. It’s a good theory offering Jones but Leicester would have to look at all factors, with the wages he’s on and his inconsistency is he even worth it? They could probably go over to the continent and pick someone up like they have with Kante, Mendy etc. Also all United managers seem to see something in Jones, Ole may well be the same.

I was actually thinking about it the other day on a serious level. £50m plus Jones would save them replacing him. Get 100k a week off of our wage bill and Jones would be a very good defender at a club that defends all the time and plays on the counter. His biggest problem seems to be lapses of concentration which would happen less often playing for a back foot team. When we’re backs against the walls he has good games. He’s a calamity when running back towards his own goal.

I think the issue with Jones for any club who might want him is injuries if they put him on 100k a week my guess is alongside the likes of Vardy and Schmiechel he'd be top earner and he only seems to be fit 50% of the time. Now with no European football he might not have to push his body as hard as he does at Utd where we play every 3 days so his fitness might improve.

I think Rodgers would like him as he can pass out from the back he likes to press high and play one vs one yes he makes mistakes but for where Leicester are now which is a 7-10th club trying to break that top 6 and sneak into Europa League he wouldn't be a terrible signing.

The bigger issue might be getting Jones to take the deal I think he's very comfortable at Utd if he really wanted to play every week he'd have just let his deal run down and left I think he quite likes the perks that come with being a Utd player and he's very settled in the north west.

I do kind of think with Maguire that it might just have to be one we push through pay a little more than we'd like to but we have to start moving things forward

Just read a story that said Maguire is close to City for £60m but whenever we are linked with him we have to pay £90m. The media ey...

I hate the media. We are all influenced by it. I sit at work with newsnow on, the worst site of all time, getting incredibly mad at all the rubbish that's talked.

Just read a story that said Maguire is close to City for £60m but whenever we are linked with him we have to pay £90m. The media ey...

Latest story is they’ve agreed a £80m fee for him.

I can see why they’d want a defender like him as they are weak in the air especially at set pieces and he’s good enough on the ball to satisfy Pep.

100% Alderweireld, absolutely no question. But there aren’t huge signs that he wants to leave Spurs. Obviously things can change but I do think we have to look elsewhere.

City can have Maguire for £80m but we do need to identify someone to come in. I still advocate going for Milenkovic and I have for a while but I haven’t heard any links to him from us.

I don't think there's a massive difference between them but Maguire is 3 or 4 years younger so you're likely to get more from him for longer than Alderwiereld.

The concern with Alderwiereld is low fee but high wages and over 30 we've been burned here before you have to make sure you've done your home work properly.

In terms of the deal Alderwiereld and his agent will probably swallow up huge wages and fees compared to Maguire so over the length of a 4 year deal the total cost of the deal might not be that different.

I thought Maguire was City bound.

What about Skriniar in the Lukaku deal.

I thought Maguire was City bound.

What about Skriniar in the Lukaku deal.

Think Inter have basically told us to forget about that as they see him as a key player for them, he signed a new deal recently as well and going into the CL next season under a new manager who sees him as a key player. If Inter want Lukaku they just need to stump up the cash because we aren't going to want to take the players they are trying to dump on us as part of that deal.

If Maguire does go to City for £80m Utd might as well forget about shopping in the domestic market because the prices will be going even higher.

Alderwiereld is an option because of this release clause he has but with no CL football and the mess we are in will he want to come to Utd as I would imagine Spurs will put a good offer to him to stay and there also seems a reluctance from our board to sign off on this deal. I guess we will find out on 1st July when that clause actually kicks in what is happening.

Never really seen the fascination with Maguire. He's a good young English defender but would cost so so much. Would rather Alderweireld.

I don't see how we are moving ahead of them unless we're basically prepared to offer the silly price Leicester want which basically means City were never in the race.

Maguire for me is an upgrade on what we have and I think he's got some of the leadership qualities we want but not sure he's providing a big jump from Smalling it's going from a 7/10 player to an 8/10 player which for that fee is a big gamble.

Move on to other targets. In the world of football where players are paid too much and sold too much even Maguire is a massive rip off.

I do wonder if the focus on securing young British talent is also partly Brexit related no one really knows how that is going to affect the game in England because if we lose freedom of movement then every non UK player will require a work permit unless footballers are given some sort of exemption. Protecting yourselves from the uncertainty coming off the back of that is probably wise considering this may be the last transfer window before Brexit happens.

Back to Maguire I don't think we should push the boat out for him a better value solution can surely be found but it's starting to feel like we are sticking with what we have in terms of centre backs which to me feels criminal off the back of the worst defensive season in decades surely things had to change

If we spent £50m on an up and coming right back then Leicester are well within their rights to hang on for more. I don’t particularly want us to pay more than £70m but if we want him badly then we are going to have to stump up the funds. He would be an instant upgrade on our centre backs but for £70m you want bang hot quality but like jsp said I wouldn’t say he’s too far ahead of Smalling really.

I agree if AWB is 50m then he should be 70m. Our CB lack a bit of pace, i'd rather us go for a quicker one.

... from Smalling it's going from a 7/10 player to an 8/10 player which for that fee is a big gamble.
I'd say it's more like going from a 6 to 6.5. Toby is an 8.
Sad fact is we need someone to complement Lindelof's skills. Is that person Maguire? If he were not English would he be anywhere near the shopping list? Not being English, the team having an English core means nothing to me.

I'd say it's more like going from a 6 to 6.5. Toby is an 8.
Sad fact is we need someone to complement Lindelof's skills. Is that person Maguire? If he were not English would he be anywhere near the shopping list? Not being English, the team having an English core means nothing to me.

Well someone has to be a 10/10 so lets say that's Van Dijk, I'd say Alderwiereld is a 9 and Maguire is an 8.

What really annoys me about this one is why didn't we spend the money last season? Maguire has had an ok season but he's hardly been stand out but the club wouldn't buy him last season so if the rumours are true why have we changed our mind?

Not sorting a centre back out last summer set us back years because it totally ruined the progress Mourinho had made and made last season one of the worst ever both on and off the pitch the club was a toxic thing to be associated with.

This CB situation has got me panicking now,All last season we talked about how much we needed a good CB and still we start pre season without one,Everyone knows a good pre season is vital especially in a new team ESPECIALLY first game against Chelsea,If we lose that first game it will feel like we're playing catchup all season again.

If we don't bring in a good CB then what's the point in bringing in AWB? We could just ruin his career in this one season.

This CB situation has got me panicking now,All last season we talked about how much we needed a good CB and still we start pre season without one,Everyone knows a good pre season is vital especially in a new team ESPECIALLY first game against Chelsea,If we lose that first game it will feel like we're playing catchup all season again.

If we don't bring in a good CB then what's the point in bringing in AWB? We could just ruin his career in this one season.

I don't see anyone coming in we have to get players out, it's why I was really annoyed about Jones getting another new contract just cut your losses on him and move on. He's an ok centre back but he misses 50% of games with injury so why keep persisting. Rojo apparently is up for sale but we want 25m and he's on about £150k a week meaning the sort of clubs that might be interested in a guy like Rojo can't afford him so we are stuck with him just drop the price and get him out. It's a bad business move but from a football side of things guys just need to be shifted out otherwise things won't change.

I honestly think they'll just give Bailly another chance because there's nothing on the market for them at the prices they're willing to spend.

The Maguire story for me is just one that's filling papers I don't think anything is actually happening if Utd had been prepared to bite the bullet they'd have moved and got it done my guess is they've been scared off by the price and that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back