Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Ham 1-2 Man Utd

Defending was fine today but was very poor on the ball today 3 or 4 simple passes today put out of play very much an off day for him.

Not sure his defending was good either. Almost gifted them a goal and his passing was terrible. One of his poorer performances.

Premier League: Leicester City v Manchester United - 16th October 2021

He should never have started.

His worst game in a Utd shirt really poor.

You have to question his fitness looked nervy within the first few minutes wasn’t comfortable on the ball and his errors cost us today.

He’s had a poor start to the season was similar last year as well but today was something I don’t think we’ve seen it was a total collapse from start to finish.

He just didn’t look settled and his passing which is normally very good was dreadful.

Ridiculous to start him really when he was so touch and go to start. Probably needed a few more training sessions to be thrown back in. Leicester is a real tough place to go. Very bad call to play him.

Champions League: Manchester United 3-2 Atalanta - 20th October 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He isn't. He looks good for England (for the most part). Why? Because the game is slower. United should never have signed him.

Nonsense, if you can see past the fee which wasn't his fault, he's been a great signing for United.

Honestly think he's in and around the top 10 in the world in his position but he does have these slumps in form at his best he's as good as anyone out there but he has spells where a few mistakes creep in and seem to knock him off his game.

Glad he got a goal last night weirdly think he needed it he looked fitter and sharper than he did at the weekend so hopefully he can get back to his best and the team can start delivering some clean sheets because my god we need some.

Been saying this for ages: he is the problem at CB not Lindelof

Pretty sure a 5 year old could push Lindelof off the ball and a 10 year old could definitely beat him in the air.

Zapata last night rolled him so easily to get a chance that lucky for us he gave De Gea a chance on if he'd hit the corners De Gea had no chance and I don't think anyone would be on here praising Lindelof.

In terms of playing to his level consistently I think Lindelof does play to a consistent level it's just nowhere near as high a level at Maguire can achieve when he's at his best.

What we all do know for sure though is that these two are not a good defensive partnership which is why the club spent big on Varane.

That said if Maguire doesn't find his form soon when Varane is back he might have a tough decision to make.

Good finish last night. Looked awkward though, ball coming accross from the right, taking the right foot and going near.

Another piss poor corner and cross though.

You stopped saying it because you saw the light brother ;)

Thought it was a good finish not an easy technique had to go near post to beat the keeper he's got good technique just check out his pen in the final of the euros. The greatest penalty ever scored but sadly one everyone probably wants to forget.

Again the way this team plays it's going to be tough for any defender as you are so exposed by the ease at which teams play through our attack and midfield.

Been saying this for ages: he is the problem at CB not Lindelof
Anyone can surely see that this just isn’t true. Like jsp said Lindelof was rolled by Zapata like he wasn’t even there - good job De Gea was up to the task.

Lindelof is a good defender but he gets brushed aside and bullied way too easy.

Maguire is not perfect but he is a far superior defender to Lindelof. Good to see him get his goal last night, he is capable of those brilliant finishes from his time at Leicester.

I'm not blind to Maguire's problems either we really need the Maguire/Varane partnership to work that's over £100m in transfer fees and big wages paid for those two by the club so we really need those two to gel and form a good understanding.

I do think the defenders will always be on the back foot with the way the team plays currently full backs pushing very high and centre mids often outnumbered trying to cover big gaps it's going to be easy for decent sides to get at our defence. Defending starts at the front and we've got to find a way to be less stretched as a team and pin our opponent back so the defence can squeeze up.

Thought last night a key thing was we didn't just keep playing short on every goal kick De Gea was clearly instructed to try and play over their press which means we didn't always keep the ball but we didn't put ourselves under huge pressure 20 yards from our own goal. Our attacking players need to get used to challenging for these type of balls from the keeper it can't go short every time we're not good enough at it.

You stopped saying it because you saw the light brother
:D I don't necessarily think Lindelof is better, just Maguire isn't better than him, makes countless errors. I think if there is a new manager we could easily end up with Varane and Lindelof. Anyway, won't say any more, been there.

Anyone can surely see that this just isn’t true. Like jsp said Lindelof was rolled by Zapata like he wasn’t even there - good job De Gea was up to the task.

Lindelof is a good defender but he gets brushed aside and bullied way too easy.

Maguire is not perfect but he is a far superior defender to Lindelof. Good to see him get his goal last night, he is capable of those brilliant finishes from his time at Leicester.
lindelof is far quicker than maguire and that often sees him cover mistakes not spotted on TV coverage. and if we are talking about goals rom Maguire, how often does he get his head on it in the opponent's area and then get it nowhere near the goal?

His poor form and current indecisiveness on the pitch is affecting the whole back four. When Varane is fit do we try him with Lindelof?

Lindelof was the worst player on the pitch today.

Lindelof was the worst player on the pitch today.

I’m all for a bit of Lindelof bashing but for me the others were worse the whole thing was a mess.

The only player who performed was De Gea.

I’m all for a bit of Lindelof bashing but for me the others were worse the whole thing was a mess.

The only player who performed was De Gea.
Felt sorry for De Gea to be honest. He made some good saves but he was a lamb to the slaughter for the other ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back