Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst game in a Utd shirt for sure.

Absolute clown car defending for the first goal and been given the absolute run around by Kane.

If you hadn’t just dropped the other guy then yeah you’d have to say he might need dropping

So many individual errors by Maguire today. On That first goal, bad header into Bailly, then Bailly heads the ball straight up, then Maguire with a second bad header, when Shaw gets in and tries to shield, Maguire pulls Shaw’s right arm and spins him away from being able to make contact on the ball. I’m guessing Maguire thought he had hold of a Spurs player. Shocking. He got worse from there.

Lets forget Lindelof vs Maguire for the moment.

For all those that think Maguire is in the top 3 CB's. He clearly isn't.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I still don't see many better when he is at his best I accept he hasn't been at his best this season and towards the end of last season.

Defenders make mistakes and some of the clips in that video are comical not because they are errors but because someone thinks they are errors.

There's probably a video of Van Dijk that's 6 minutes long of him having his pants pulled down by opponents it happens.

Maguire is in bad form.

I could easily compile a video making VVD look poor of making Dan James look like Messi reincarnate.

Maguire is without a doubt our best defender. I honestly don't get the argument that he isn't. Unlike the rest of them in our team he's the only person that's proven he's a top defender in the league. None of the rest of them have managed any sustained good form in the premiership. Including Smalling.

I don't think it helps any of our players when our fans have such ridiculous agenda's against them.

I dont agree about Smalling but it is actually irrelevant. I think he is the best available centre half to play alongside Maguire but if the manager doesnt fancy him then he has to go. My problem is the way they have gone about getting rid of him.

You don't see many better when he is at his best? when is he at his best? He's been average for all his united career. Someone in who is in the top 3 would not make these errors. he has made loads of mistakes, probably in games where Lindelof doea and everyone just highlights Lindelof.

Surely these point out he is too error prone to be labelled excellent, one of the best etc.

If you can't see that then you will never see it.

All our centre backs are average at best. All the Spurs game pointed to me was, forget RM, Greenwood is capable, even Lingard at RM is better than the shower at the back.

It's our CB and LB that need the money spending. I would sell any one of our CB's should a bid come in, but they won't come in.

I dont agree about Smalling but it is actually irrelevant. I think he is the best available centre half to play alongside Maguire but if the manager doesnt fancy him then he has to go. My problem is the way they have gone about getting rid of him.
There was big question marks against Smalling at the time and many fans were calling for his head. When Ole advised him he may not get the playing time he would want Smalling himself requested the move.
In terms of the way they have gone about getting rid of him, I just think there is little appetite to go back to what was. It is probably for the best for all concerned.

and to be honest, this wasn't meant to be undermining Maguire.

It's to prove the blinkered thinking it's Lindelof's fault, it's Bailly's fault, Maguire is brilliant is way off the truth.

I might be tempted to try Bailly and Lindelof, it's got that bad.

The peak of Smalling's Utd career came at a time when our goal keeper won POTY 4 years out of 5. Now that's not all on Smalling but there's something in that fact that suggests to me our defence was a car crash in that period but our wonder goalie bailed them out every week.

Smalling had an ok Utd career but it was clear he wasn't a centre back capable of pushing us towards a title so we move on. I think Utd have been pretty fair to him they let him go on loan to Roma and now are asking Roma to pay a fair price for his services less than they agree to pay last summer but fair.

I just think it's a clash of styles Ole clearly wants his defenders to bring the ball out and almost every goal kick is played short this really doesn't help Smalling which is fine he's been mature about he whole thing and said if you don't want me I'll go doesn't want to kick around being on the bench like plenty of others seem happy to do.

You don't see many better when he is at his best? when is he at his best? He's been average for all his united career. Someone in who is in the top 3 would not make these errors. he has made loads of mistakes, probably in games where Lindelof doea and everyone just highlights Lindelof.

Surely these point out he is too error prone to be labelled excellent, one of the best etc.

If you can't see that then you will never see it.

All our centre backs are average at best. All the Spurs game pointed to me was, forget RM, Greenwood is capable, even Lingard at RM is better than the shower at the back.

It's our CB and LB that need the money spending. I would sell any one of our CB's should a bid come in, but they won't come in.
I understand some of your points and agree Maguire hasnt been excellent for United. That said I have been taking the view that he could become excellent (Vidic was truly awful in his first season).
But I have to say, the cocoa the clown exploits of yesterday was truly shocking from a CB of his reputation.

and to be honest, this wasn't meant to be undermining Maguire.

It's to prove the blinkered thinking it's Lindelof's fault, it's Bailly's fault, Maguire is brilliant is way off the truth.

I might be tempted to try Bailly and Lindelof, it's got that bad.

Did anyone blame Bailly for yesterday? I’ve not seen one person suggest Bailly was to blame.

It’ll be Maguire and Bailly again. Lindelof has lost his place and will have a while to wait or until Bailly gets injured to get it back. Yesterday was extremely poor but it doesn’t change the fact we played that partnership because Lindelof is currently unplayable.

read the Bailly thread, there's a few posts on there.

It's a long wait to see, but Lindelof will be back in. We just shipped 6 goals.

As I’ve already said we’ve shipped 5 in the previous 2 against Moupay and Zaha. Lindelof won’t be rushed back in to the side to be a saviour.

The interesting thing will be if De Gea retains his place.

Think by making the call Ole has to stick with it next game if he drops Maguire now he'll look stupid he's clearly made his decision to change his centre back pairing he should give them more than 1 game.

His only real option is to put Lindelöf back in for Bailly but the talk is Ole felt Lindelöf had got complacent so dropping him for one game and then sticking him back in because the team ship 6 without him might not be the best idea.

Tuanzebe and Bailly it is then.
Are you suggesting Maguire should be immune from scrutiny for his performances? Do you think his place should be guaranteed regardless of performance?

That’s not what I said at all.

I’m saying if we’re dropping Maguire on that performance, Lindelof can’t come in based on his and the next two in line are Bailly and Tuanzebe.

Are you suggesting Lindelof should be immune and shouldn’t be dropped after his shockers against Brighton and Palace?

It really shows how bad are central defensive options are as even on here we cannot agree on our number 1 centre half.

That’s not what I said at all.

I’m saying if we’re dropping Maguire on that performance, Lindelof can’t come in based on his and the next two in line are Bailly and Tuanzebe.

Are you suggesting Lindelof should be immune and shouldn’t be dropped after his shockers against Brighton and Palace?
Get Max Taylor back from Kidderminster Harriers

Has anyone checked to see if Tuanzebe is still alive? Haven't seen him in months.

Dropping Maguire brings extra problems for the manager as you're dropping your big name signing who you made club captain only a year ago.

Yeah based on his performances there's big worries but pretty much everyone is away for 2 weeks now so they'll have to wait until all these players come back to see what frame of mind they are in.

My gut feeling is Ole sticks with him but that faith needs to be repaid what happened yesterday can never happen again it wasn't a bad day at the office that's 3 games now in the league where teams have just had free reign to go at our goal that whole team needs to get together and sort this out. You can't keep letting opponents have 20 odd shots at your goal which is what is happening.

The gold standard of this kind of pairing was Rio and Vidic.

I would put Pallister & Bruce up there as well...Two centre-halfs neither blessed with pace but bags of leadership, intelligence (and Schmiechel's gentle encouragement). Maguire lacking the mental agility to stand on that quick free kick. More savvy needed and much better leadership required.

Stam and Johnsen. Both strong, both fast, both could play. Of course Ronny had the United centre half injury curse.

Might as well just go Mengi and Axel. It literally cannot be any worse.

Big management decisions to be made on Pogba, De Gea and Maguire

Not sure why De Gea is being dragged into this he's done nothing wrong in the first 3 games.

Think everyone in that outfield starting XI has questions to answer the first 3 games of the season have been awful and no one should be getting a pass I think everyone has been dreadful.

Greenwood maybe gets a bit of a pass as he's only a kid but the rest of the guys who've started the league games have had shockers.

I only mentioned De Gea because he doesn't boss that defence. And he is error prone to be fair. He is part of the problem

If the Smalling deal doesn’t get done perhaps we will start seeing him around the first team.

11 goals conceded in 3 games surely gives the back up defenders a chance to stake their claim.

If the Smalling deal doesn’t get done perhaps we will start seeing him around the first team.

11 goals conceded in 3 games surely gives the back up defenders a chance to stake their claim.

Can we still sell to PL clubs after today?

After a start like this doors are open to everyone it's been a shambles all over the pitch so if you're at the club then stake your claim for a starting spot by impressing in training and taking your chance if it comes your way.

I would definitely give him game time if he stayed. I was not that keen to get rid of him

Can we still sell to PL clubs after today?

After a start like this doors are open to everyone it's been a shambles all over the pitch so if you're at the club then stake your claim for a starting spot by impressing in training and taking your chance if it comes your way.

No. We can buy from the championship but prem to prem window shuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back