Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read he was out of position and then lunged in and missed at the turnover

Nah Dier got himself in a foot race with Lukaku who had him on toast made a desperate tackle and took out Lukaku should have let him go had zero chance of getting the ball.

They're playing 3 games in the two week break and premier League games this weekend? That's ridiculous

It’s a nations league game so can’t see him benching Maguire but might not start Rashford as Kane and Sancho should be available to start the next one.

Before that, in the opponent's half

Tried to find a replay that showed the full build up but don’t recall it being mentioned when they discussed the penalty.

Players make mistakes but from the bits I saw Maguire was fine struggled a bit first half when Lukaku was bossing the defence but he got hold of him second half and handled him much better.

I think it was Roy Keane who was critical, Rice out if position, Maguire lurched in so Lukaku had a free run

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

52 seconds in. You'd have to have a real agenda to try and blame this on Maguire. They hit on the counter and Dier screws up.

Can't see that here. I dont think Keane said the goal was his fault, just one of many errors.

Was a solid 6 out of 10 performance from Maguire I think people are just focusing on him to much as he's the current whipping boy after what happened in the summer

I think if he is making mstakes it's fair to point them out, it's hardly a whipping boy. He made a mistake in the lead up to the goal. Of course it should be highlighted by pundits. And worryingly for united, it's getting more frequent.

Please highlight Maguire's mistake in the lead up to the goal. It's a break away 70 yards from our goal on the counter.

I watched the game in the pub. If Maguire was at fault they'd have jumped on it because trying to ridicule Maguire is a fan favourite thing to do. He isnt.

I think if he is making mstakes it's fair to point them out, it's hardly a whipping boy. He made a mistake in the lead up to the goal. Of course it should be highlighted by pundits. And worryingly for united, it's getting more frequent.

Meant whipping boy in terms of the wider picture with what happened out in Greece over the summer. There's lot of eyes on him now for other reasons and mistakes will be highlighted. A poor start to the season for Utd won't have helped but I haven't really heard 1 pundit go for him after that game for his performance most of the focus was on Dier's lunge and the way our wing backs struggled to influence the game.

Belgium was fine he was up against Lukaku who can be a tricky customer he dealt with him pretty well when he's on form he's a handful and in the first half he really was but Maguire got control of him eventually and nullified him.

Yeah Walker right, Dier centre and Maguire left.

They had TAA at right wing back and Trippier left wing back bit like the world cup in 2018 we were lop sided on the left as we had to play a right footer.

Southgate seems to be going back to the back 3 think he's worried about his centre backs vs good teams we're not blessed with great options especially when Maguire who is his best one is out of form.

He did lunge in badly.

I don't think Maguire is as good as a lot of you do. But I also don't think he is as bad as he is playing.

Something isn't right.

I think everyone agrees he's out of form maybe he's a player who feeds off the crowd who knows but dips in form happen even Van Dijk is in horrible form for both club and country right now.

He's only human what happened in the summer will have shook him up maybe the club should have given him a bit longer off to be with his family but could be that he didn't want that he wanted to get straight back to work.

Maguire obviously isn't in the class of the great defenders we had in the Fergie era but he's one of the better ones we've had in my opinion but the bar is set very high for him and others to be judged against.

Still it's early season form is only temporary so hopefully he can shake off these problems and get back into good form.

Maguire didn't become a bad player overnight did he? Fair enough he's no Ferdinand but he's not a Phil Jones either. The guys had a rough summer which is obviously bothering him. Maybe he needs a week or two off?

What is going on with all that anyway, isn't there a re trial or something? Whatever, he wont return to Greece to sit in court and eh wont go to prison, it's more the fact that his is Utd captain and got involved in all this.

Maguire didn't become a bad player overnight did he? Fair enough he's no Ferdinand but he's not a Phil Jones either. The guys had a rough summer which is obviously bothering him. Maybe he needs a week or two off?

What is going on with all that anyway, isn't there a re trial or something? Whatever, he wont return to Greece to sit in court and eh wont go to prison, it's more the fact that his is Utd captain and got involved in all this.

Think there's a few things to consider just from a purely playing point of view.

1) Last season was his first season with European football in his football
2) He was barely rotated before or after lockdown
3) He had a very short break as he was supposed to be going on internationals before the season started.
4) He's playing on his weaker side as a defender he's experienced at doing this but it's not as easy as playing on your stronger side.

The stuff in Greece requires a full re-trail which could take a year before it goes in front of a new judge as it stands he's an innocent man in the eyes of the Greek courts his initial conviction/sentence no longer exists.

To me he's a good player who's out of form doesn't help that his regular partner Lindelof is in a similar situation his form dipped last season as well so it's not like he can lean on his mate next to him to help him out of the rutt.

I do think all our centre backs would benefit from a bit more protection in front of them in the midfield I think the team is causing them to be exposed way more than they should be.

I read somewhere that Maguire played the most amount of minutes of any professional in any country in the world. As @jsp says he hasn't really had a rest and it was a massive increase in his usual minutes last season. AWB has clearly not fared well from his first season of extra minutes either as he looks a shadow of himself too.

My worry is that all the teams like us will have a full season of Premier League with all the FA and League cup games, European games (though I don't think we'll be playing too many of those) then a summer or Euros followed by another full season. Lots of players will be suffering burnout very quickly.

Feel for him a little bit. What happened in the summer has clearly had a negative impact on him.

They need to bring in a headshrinker for these boys. Maguire isn't the only one with a dip in form. Every time he puts in a less than stellar performance, he stews on it because he wants to live up to his price tag and the captaincy. I feel for him too.

Think he's just desperate to make up for mistakes he's to wound up and not relaxed he's allowed the pressure to get to him.

Every mistakes makes him more and more desperate so he's now doing stupid things trying to put it right.

Ole I think has got to pull him out of the limelight for at least the next 2 games keep him training around the lads but just leave him out of the match squads hopefully the team can pull out a few results and he can let that pressure release.

Think he's just desperate to make up for mistakes he's to wound up and not relaxed he's allowed the pressure to get to him.

Every mistakes makes him more and more desperate so he's now doing stupid things trying to put it right.

Ole I think has got to pull him out of the limelight for at least the next 2 games keep him training around the lads but just leave him out of the match squads hopefully the team can pull out a few results and he can let that pressure release.
Can he do that though? Times are tough right now for us, not sure how it will look if he pulls his captain out of the fire?

If Ole wants to which I doubt he will then he'll just make up a mystery injury.

Can he do that though? Times are tough right now for us, not sure how it will look if he pulls his captain out of the fire?

Not sure he's got much alternative things are that bad.

We don't know what personality Maguire has. He might be better off being left in he might need to be taken out to save himself from further damage those around him who work with him every day will know what's best.

Ole has both Bailly and Lindelof fit so he could drop him and bring him back but it will attract more headlines and mean more pressure when he does come back especially if things go badly while he's gone. I guess the big issue is he's just dropped Lindelof so brining him straight back in might create another problem.

It'll be a tough one for Ole but he's paid to make these decisions and he'll be judged by the impact of those decisions but part of his job will be getting some of these out of form players back in form he needs to find a way to rebuild that confidence.

It's not just Maguire there's pretty much a whole team out there at the moment that just look like they've had the wind knocked out of them for some reason despite a successful end to last season.

just say he's got a muscle injury, play Lindeloff and Bailly and Shaw in a back 3 then bring him back in a couple of weeks.

They need to jog on this Greece stuff somehow,

He did limp around a bit last night before his red card so he's got an easy out for the fake injury.

The Greece thing won't move quickly can't imagine it's high up their case list they've just got to find a way of getting his focus back on the football.

He might say he wants to play on but if he's going to be this sort of liability you can't let him do it be like not trying to stop your mate from drunk driving

I’m not sure taking him out is the way to go, you could give him a few games off but he’ll still have his last performances at the fore front of his mind. Think we just need to keep him in and he will get out of this slump. Obviously if he is carrying a knock then it’s a different thing.

Taking him out may hit his confidence in him even more. So I think Ole will keep him in, and hey he got 60 minutes rest last night anyway!

I see that, but this about getting points at this moment in time, we can't afford to pussy foot around just because he's the captain, or struggling, he is a liability at the moment and needs removing. It's not like our other defenders and goalie are going to help him out :D

Mr C is right, just because he cost £85m or whatever, he has been poor and any other player would be dropped. Only problem is who do you replace him with? Jones?

Mr C is right, just because he cost £85m or whatever, he has been poor and any other player would be dropped. Only problem is who do you replace him with? Jones?

There is your conundrum you've just dropped Lindelof for poor form, Bailly's last game wasn't great, Maguire had an absolute howler, are Jones/Tuanzebe/Rojo even fit? Played a total of zero minutes in about 7 months between the lot of them.

There isn't an obvious answer to this problem you probably have to take Maguire out and stick Lindelof back in or do you show that faith in your captain and hope that he snaps out of this crisis in confidence because you've backed him.

At his best he's still our best defender but he's far from his best right now and is it fair to the rest of the team to keep sending him out if he's being a liability.

I think realistically you show faith in him and hope he plays through it.

Premier League: Newcastle United 1-4 Manchester United - 17th October 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back