Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footage has been found of Rashford asking (arguing) Maguire to speak to the referee on Sunday, saying Lamela elbowed Martial and if Martial goes then so should Lamela.

Magure said it's been reviewed and not viewed as violent.

Not being funny, but our captain should definitely be in the refs face about that. Getting him to review the footage.

Maguire was right. They did review it. A player can’t instruct the ref to go and have a look the man in the VAR box has to. He reviewed it and decided there was no need for the ref to have a look. Terrible decision.

is that true? a ref cannot go to review unless he is allowed to by Stockley Park?

Yeah they line up the footage they think the ref needs to review. Last season the refs were instructed not to use the screens and this year they're being instructed as to when they should use them.

That's BS then.

Basically the ref is not running the game. Surely he should be allowed to review whatever he wants. He can't say he wants to see an incident! Unbelievable really

I just found this

Only the referee can initiate a ‘review’; the VAR (and other match officials) can only recommend a ‘review’ to the referee

'So even if an official makes a questionable call, as long as they have seen it clearly and not missed a key factor, VAR will not intervene.'

As I said VAR completed the check for a possible Lamela red card. It was done and the ref told he didn't need to review. At the time in the commentary before the corner was taken they said that the review had been done and was complete.

In fact the report on the incident between Maguire and Rashford says 'Rashford felt it should have been a red card for Lamela even after the VAR check' though the report is completely wrong because it suggest Lamela was given a yellow card for it and that came later in the game.

The referee can initiate a ‘review’ for a potential ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ when:
•the VAR (or another match official) recommends a ‘review’
the referee suspects that something serious has been ‘missed

Granted VAR might have said they reviewed it, but he could request to see the footage if it's been brought to his attention an elbow has been missed. He could even just ask them, someone has said Lamela elbowed first, whats your view, even if he doesn't look himself.

It's not the point really, I want our captain to be showing more. Don't Keane/Robson/Bruce etc would just stand there

It hadn't been missed. The ref and VAR were aware of what Lamela done. They checked if it warranted a red card and decided it didn't.

Our captain wasn't losing his head and was telling the team decisions been made get your heads back in the game. Unfortunately he continued to have a mare and this was about the only correct thing he done all game. Haha.

The ref was never going to have a look at it or change his mind.

Ref - Red cards Martial
VAR: Don't restart the game. Possible red card check for Lamela.
VAR: Restart the game. Check complete no need for you to review

The ref is never then going to say 'actually i'll come double check'

Ref - Red cards Martial
VAR: Don't restart the game. Possible red card check for Lamela.
VAR: Restart the game. Check complete no action needed.

Ok, haven't seen that quoted before

It wasn't missed VAR automatically reviewed the red card given to Martial as part of the red card protocol part of that review highlighted what Lamela did and told the ref he needed to award Lamela a yellow card for his part in the incident.

If the VAR had said we think that Lamela is potentially a red card offence he would have been asked to go to the monitor and review it but the VAR was happy enough to say it was only a yellow card offence (something I actually agree with).

I do however think the VAR should have recommended the ref review the Lamela incident himself. They made it quite clear this season that on subjective calls they want the ref to review the incidents themselves on the monitor, not allow VAR to make the decision. For me the Lamela one on the border between yellow and red. Martial is 100% a red card you just aren't allowed to put your hands in someone's face if it's automatic red card and violent conduct.

As for the video loads of people using it to hammer Maguire with saying he's soft but the decision is done crowding the ref doesn't work anymore you need to be in his face before it's gone to the review to try and influence the decision. Maguire is trying to calm Rashford down and focus on the fact Utd are defending a corner. Crying and moaning to the ref isn't going to change anything it's done get yourself in your spot and knuckle down to defend the corner.

So many players lost their heads on Sunday and as a result totally switched off and Maguire was one of them making panic decisions rather than thinking clearly and as a result mistake after mistake was made.

Has anyone seen the rumours that Bruno had a scathing attack on Maguire at half time and just wouldent stop ranting at him, leading to the reason he got pulled at half time.

I cant of been the only one that was a little surprised at Bruno being pulled and Pogba staying on ?

Yeah I saw those rumours. Not hard to believe as Bruno is a born winner and probably couldn’t control himself. They’re professionals and I’m sure both could see where the other was coming from and it’s been put behind them now.

I would be half tempted to take the arm band off of Maguire and give it to Bruno.

Just because he seems to be the only one in this squad whose got that real fighters desire to win and feels the pain of losing. The rest don’t seem that bothered when we’re behind.

yeah I think someone on here mentioned it. And to be fair, he deserved it.

I agree, give Bruno the armband, use Greece as an excuse.

Yeah I saw those rumours. Not hard to believe as Bruno is a born winner and probably couldn’t control himself. They’re professionals and I’m sure both could see where the other was coming from and it’s been put behind them now.

I would be half tempted to take the arm band off of Maguire and give it to Bruno.

Just because he seems to be the only one in this squad whose got that real fighters desire to win and feels the pain of losing. The rest don’t seem that bothered when we’re behind.
I tend to agree, he is just made for the captaincy is Bruno - would be the best decision for the team.

Could do 1 of 2 things to Maguire in doing so, he either feels he has been robbed of the armband, or he may feel a small weight off his shoulders in not having the armband.

Think it might be too late to use Greece as an excuse. Unless you say it is on his mind, which might actually be his problem

you've got to think that has to be something to do with it? I mean he was making mistakes at the end of last season, but this is a another level. I have assumed it must be having some effect.

The bloke just looks drained maybe the lasting physical effect of his first season including European football and the short break plus the mental fatigue of that incident in the summer. His form has just gone off a cliff.

As for the Bruno stuff Maguire could easily have gone back at him as Bruno has been crap in these opening games as well taking to many touches, gave away a stupid pen at Brighton and giving the ball away easily we need him to be more than just a £60m penalty taker.

If Bruno has got himself so worked up that he has to be subbed off then that's not really captain material it's immature his team needs him and he's having to be left in the dressing room because he can't control his emotions.

Anyway it's just a rumour we don't know if it's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me Bruno has certainly got that edge to him.

he might be off his game, but he's about the only showing some fight.

Granted VAR might have said they reviewed it, but he could request to see the footage if it's been brought to his attention an elbow has been missed. He could even just ask them, someone has said Lamela elbowed first, whats your view, even if he doesn't look himself.

It's not the point really, I want our captain to be showing more. Don't Keane/Robson/Bruce etc would just stand there
I want a bit more leadership from a captain than Maguire shows, we need to see some passion from leaders. That's one thing we are lacking, Bruno is showing some qualities that may bring about future captaincy. Maguire needs to buck up.

Think it might be too late to use Greece as an excuse. Unless you say it is on his mind, which might actually be his problem
His cocoa the clown display against Spurs is good enough reason. Besides, I like a midfield captain.

There have been plenty of good captains from centre half. Tbh i tend to prefer them to anywhere else.

The bloke just looks drained maybe the lasting physical effect of his first season including European football and the short break plus the mental fatigue of that incident in the summer. His form has just gone off a cliff.

As for the Bruno stuff Maguire could easily have gone back at him as Bruno has been crap in these opening games as well taking to many touches, gave away a stupid pen at Brighton and giving the ball away easily we need him to be more than just a £60m penalty taker.

If Bruno has got himself so worked up that he has to be subbed off then that's not really captain material it's immature his team needs him and he's having to be left in the dressing room because he can't control his emotions.

Anyway it's just a rumour we don't know if it's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me Bruno has certainly got that edge to him.
He should have gave him a karate kick to the chops

Didn't exactly do well for England the other night. His form has really dropped off.

He was fine vs Belgium in the bits I watched but I wasn’t watching the game closely.

Wasn't he all over the place for the Belgian goal? Is there another match or is it back to Manchester now

The Belgian goal was nothing other than Dier being a moron. And if Maguire had been Dier we'd have not heard the end of it today.

And that's the England games done. Back to Manchester and £14.99 to watch the game on Saturday.

They're playing 3 games in the two week break and premier League games this weekend? That's ridiculous

Hopefully they rest the United lads for this one.

The Belgian goal was nothing other than Dier being a moron. And if Maguire had been Dier we'd have not heard the end of it today.
I thought I read he was out of position and then lunged in and missed at the turnover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back