Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Harry Maguire's performances.

Man Utd 1 - 3 Crystal Palace

Having battered Lindelof it’s only fair to say that Maguire was also poor his sloppy passing got us in trouble a few times.

Of course he was poor himself. In general though he tends not to get bullied, is comfortable on the ball, and even against fast players they have farer to run around him and he uses his body better.

Maguire was awful against Palace. Gave the ball straight to the other team 6 or 7 times under little or no pressure. The only thing I see Maguire do well is head the ball. His positioning was suspect, he had no recovery pace, and he couldn't distribute the ball. His partnership with Lindelof does not work, and most people seem to think Lindelof is the one who needs to go, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between their abilities: both were very poor. Maguire also gave away a goal - but it was ruled out for offside. The partnership is supposed to be one CB sits and sweeps up while the other attacks the ball. When you watch these two, Maguire sits but too often he's nowhere near where he needs to be to cover. The gold standard of this kind of pairing was Rio and Vidic. Neither Maguire nor Lindelof are fit to shine those two's boots. I was all for Chris Smalling to be sold or loaned out, but even Smalling is a far superior player to Maguire. Jonny Evans could come back and be our best CB.

Right I'm not going to completely bash Maguire. Don't take this as me being negative (I'm going to try and be more positive) but can someone tell me what it is about Maguire that's so good?

And I say this as someone who didn't rate him all that highly even during the WC before he joined.

Defensively he is good in the air. Comfortable on the ball. Until Saturday his passing has been pretty good. Rarely out muscled.

The gold standard of this kind of pairing was Rio and Vidic. Neither Maguire nor Lindelof are fit to shine those two's boots. I was all for Chris Smalling to be sold or loaned out, but even Smalling is a far superior player to Maguire. Jonny Evans could come back and be our best CB.
Presently, I cannot argue with that.

Maguire is levels above Smalling at almost every aspect of the game.

If Smalling regularly put in performances like Maguire does people would rave about how well he’s played. They did when he put in a performance half as good as that of Maguire.

I don’t think I’ve seen a player perform as well as Maguire does and get criticised since Ronaldo/Rooney 2006 period.

Maguire is not as good a lot of people think.

Ubelievable really that he's the most expensive defender in football. He makes a lot of mistakes.

Maguire is not as good a lot of people think.

Ubelievable really that he's the most expensive defender in football. He makes a lot of mistakes.
He really isn't you are right.

When people raved about him during the WC I just didn't see it. I saw a solid defender but not an elite one. Everyone raved about how good on the ball he was but I didn't see that. He was just willing to bring the ball out but that's different to being good at it.

My Liverpool mates rub it in so much that he's the worlds most expensive defender :oops:

Positionally on the field he's good he's vulnerable to pace but he very rarely allows the attacker the space to expose him. Positioning at this level is the main thing if your starting position isn't good against any striker at this level you're finished. A good starting position allows you to deal with a problem before the opponent really gets the ball under control.

He's dominant in the air.

One vs One he isn't beaten very often not many players dribble past him he uses his strength well to muscle opponents off the ball.

He's very good at getting in blocks either shots from the edge of the box or crosses at the front post not much gets past him.

On the ball he's as good as any defender around it looks awkward but he's rarely dispossessed and normally his passing is very good (it wasn't on Saturday). His short passing through the press is good his long passing isn't great but he rarely attempts long balls.

He organises that defence well the difference between last season and the season before defensively was huge I think he bought that.

His only real weakness is that lack of pace that means he's not great when he has to go into recovery mode he can't just hit the sprint button and chase down an opponent who's got the better of him. Once you're past him he's not going to come back at you.

Most mistakes leading to a goal in the premier league since the start of 2018? Oh that’ll be Van Dijk. If he played for United, most on here would bang on about how many mistakes he makes.

oooooo, please show me where I can find that stat to send back to them :)

People need to stop judging him against his price tag as well judge him by his peers.

In the PL which defenders were better than Harry Maguire last season?

That Van Dijk stat is mad by the way he's actually been pretty poor since we came back from lockdown he gave Leeds a gift on the opening day but they got away with it. Maybe when he makes mistakes that costs goals they don't end up costing Liverpool points so people don't really notice them?

oooooo, please show me where I can find that stat to send back to them :)

‘Since the start of the 2018-19 season, no outfield player has made more errors leading to goals in the Premier League than the £75million man.’

Maguire is a very good defender. Lindelof is an average one. There is a clear distinction between the twos qualities.

I’m not gonna reel off what he’s good at because jsp already did that above, but I think if we get a quick centre back to dovetail him, then I think we would be well on the way to having the best centre back pairing in the league. I have always been hopeful Bailly could be that man but he’s very erratic and injury prone.

I think most of us would think that bailly is the best equipped to be his partner. The problem is, like several of our centre backs, he is always injured.

Yeah on paper Bailly ticks a lot of boxes apart from 1 which is reliability.

Unless by some miracle the injury problems are now a thing of the past you just can't rely on the guy to stay fit I feel sorry for him same thing happened to Jones but I don't remember many injury prone players suddenly turning into reliable players.

PL football is very demanding on the body and coping with those demands is a huge part of being a top player.

He is probably a short term option if we cannot buy a centre back and if he can stay fit
IF he could stay fit, he could very well have been the long term option in my opinion. He is a formidable bastard on his day.

At the start of last season it seemed like Tuenzebe was moving towards being the partner for Maguire but injuries knocked that into touch.

All the noise from the club is they would like a CB he’s even said he’s pushing Mengi into first team training to me that says he doesn’t have faith in his current options apart from his captain who plays pretty much every game.

At the start of last season it seemed like Tuenzebe was moving towards being the partner for Maguire but injuries knocked that into touch.

All the noise from the club is they would like a CB he’s even said he’s pushing Mengi into first team training to me that says he doesn’t have faith in his current options apart from his captain who plays pretty much every game.
Maybe so, but it is all about creating competition for places and no one being guaranteed their place (that's Ole's own words) hence Henderson now pressing De Gea and you can be sure of more competition for places in the near future. If Mengi can prove himself to be one for the future alongside Williams, Greenwood and other promising prospects then the future looks good.
Of course the problem is we have been so starved not only of success, but entertainment for so long now that it is difficult to have the patience for this.
I actually have some empathy for the scouse twats of the last 3 decades now :confused: It's tough!

Maybe so, but it is all about creating competition for places and no one being guaranteed their place (that's Ole's own words) hence Henderson now pressing De Gea and you can be sure of more competition for places in the near future. If Mengi can prove himself to be one for the future alongside Williams, Greenwood and other promising prospects then the future looks good.
Of course the problem is we have been so starved not only of success, but entertainment for so long now that it is difficult to have the patience for this.
I actually have some empathy for the scouse twats of the last 3 decades now :confused: It's tough!

Yep we have 8 centre backs in the squad and it seems the manager has doubts over 6 of them be it doubts over their ability or in a few cases their fitness.

I do miss the success but what I miss more is the thrill of the race be in a fight for the title means every game matters and there’s ups/downs/twists/turns etc but it’s 7 years now of title being long gone by November. That is what I find the killer even the season we came second we were about 10 points behind by October/November as City had that crazy run.

I do miss the success but what I miss more is the thrill of the race be in a fight for the title means every game matters and there’s ups/downs/twists/turns etc
Or even just that single game where it hasn't been going for us and we need something, and we are pushing, we are shoving, we are in total refusal and will not be beaten..... we are battering at them...... and then it comes..... a moment of brilliance from someone like King Eric, Keano or Ole.
The type that just refused to be beaten. I WANT TO CRY!

Or even just that single game where it hasn't been going for us and we need something, and we are pushing, we are shoving, we are in total refusal and will not be beaten..... we are battering at them...... and then it comes..... a moment of brilliance from someone like King Eric, Keano or Ole.
The type that just refused to be beaten. I WANT TO CRY!

I think we've had those moments but that's all they've been isolated moments in one off games they've not always been a part of a bigger picture a turning point that starts a charge.

There's loads of big performances and moments in big games but the performances against the mid to lower table teams have been mind numbing at for so long the days of the routine home win are so far gone now almost every victory feels like it's been a battle people say no easy games in this league. Tell that to City who smash teams by 4 or more routinely or Liverpool who seem to be able win in second gear. That Liverpool team reminds me so much of our 2008 team it's scary.

Premier League: Brighton and Hove Albion 2-3 Manchester United - 26th September 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Surely Maguire needs to be dropped? Todays performance has been truly awful and he hasnt put in a decent performance since the season started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back