Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
FA Cup: Tranmere Rovers 0-6 Manchester United - 26th January 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester United - 17th February 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't think it's a sending off, but because Son got sent of for it he should have gone. But I wouldn't call it dangerous or anything. It's a abit of a nothing, both of them.

I don't think it's a sending off, but because Son got sent of for it he should have gone. But I wouldn't call it dangerous or anything. It's a abit of a nothing, both of them.
Yeah if that’s what constitutes a sending off these days then kill me now.

Maguire’s explanation was that he thought that Batshuayi was going to fall on him so his natural reaction was to straighten his leg. I think the Son was more a little kick out but still not a red card for me.

Back to his overall performance, thought he was a colossus and a real leader at the back and finally showed his prowess in the opposition box. Brilliant performance.

I certainly think the ref should be going to the monitor and making this decision himself rather than letting the VAR make the decision.

For me he’s a very lucky boy slow motion replays make things look worse and more deliberate I do think it was a natural reaction if someone is falling on you your natural instinct would be to protect yourself with your legs but players are clever and I think Maguire took a big risk.

Put it this way had the ref shown the red I don’t think VAR would reverse it.

Premier League: Everton 1-1 Manchester United - 1st March 2020

He was excellent.

I think Maguire has really stepped up a level since becoming United's captain hasn't he? He has taken on that extra responsibility with aplomb.

United just need to find him a good centre back partner now and stick with that player. I think it should be Bailly IF he can stay fit.

The only good thing about Sunday was how well we defended set pieces. Think it was 14 corners and they didn’t look like scoring.

We certainly looked a lot better organised maybe that was something they really spent a lot of time drilling into the players in that training camp.

That said we got away with one vs Watford due to VAR spotting a handball before Deeney smashed it in.

I think overall Maguire has had a good season the price tag is a problem for him because everyone expects him to be Van Dijk which he isn't but judging him purely as a defender I think he's given us something we didn't have before which was a calm presence at the back.

Not convinced Lindelöf is the answer as his long term partner but they're doing ok must be gutting as a centre back when you're keeper gifts one like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back