Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Chelsea - 11th August 2019

Excellent debut.

Such an impressive debut. He is what we have lacked for so many years. Him and Lindelof look like they have a good chance of forming a great partnership. Also both are pretty good on the ball so hopefully the days of the ball being hoofed by Smalling and Rojo are over.

Good start seemed to be on the same wave length as Lindelöf as well which helps be interesting to see how he does vs Wolves their front 2 gave us a lot of trouble last season a big man little man combo that worked really well together can our centre backs get control of them and limit their chances.

He settled my nerves by giving me that sort of feeling Vidic used to give me, just never felt like he was going to get beaten, same with Wan-Bissaka. He'll head the ball away and be brave when looking to block but he also had a bit of Rio about him in composed defending, stayed on his feet and got his foot on the ball a number of times, I think one of those times resulted in a goal too.

Maguire and Lindelof didn't look like it was their first game together and I hope that partnership will just improve and grow. If there is a doubt over the partnership, it's pace and Tuanzebe has that in abundance so he has to take that chance when he gets it.

Premier League: AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Manchester United - 2nd November 2019

His form has dropped off in recent weeks.

He’s overrated and I don’t think we’d be that much worse if we had kept Smalling.

I think you are being a little harsh on him, and it's hard to judge him when he has Lindelöf beside him. We all have high hopes for Tuanzebe, so we may be better placed to judge him later in the season.

11 games in 11 goals conceded my guess is after 11 games last season our record was much worse how many of those goals has Maguire been totally at fault for?

Has Maguire been a game changing signing like VVD was for Liverpool no he hasn’t but has he improved our defence yes I think he has and he is allowing us to play out from the back.

He was horribly over priced but that’s surely down to our scouting department which Woodward kept banging on about a few weeks ago not finding any credible alternative we bought at the absolute top of the market.

Utd have the 5th best defence in the league and 14th worst attack.

Our issues are not at the back.

In the main I agree. I suspect our defensive record is better now than it was this time last year. And I also agree our issues are in attack. I just personally think that midfield in particular was more important in the close season. However that is where we are so all he can do is address the other areas in the next couple of windows

In the main I agree. I suspect our defensive record is better now than it was this time last year. And I also agree our issues are in attack. I just personally think that midfield in particular was more important in the close season. However that is where we are so all he can do is address the other areas in the next couple of windows

The whole squad was an issue I mean look at it on paper I’d say we still need a centre back, a left back, 2 centre mids, a number 10, a right forward and a centre forward.

Then there’s the list of players who need to go Young, Rojo, Jones, Smalling (loan), Fosu-Mansah, Bailly, Periera, Lingard, Mata, Matic, Fred and Sanchez (loan).

That’s 12 players still on the books who we know aren’t good enough plus Pogba who wants to leave

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Aston Villa - 1st December 2019

His form has really dropped off.

£80m on a player who hasn't help to improve the defence.

Difficult to judge him when he is playing alongside Lindelöf.

Well that's on the manager too. He opted to go with Lindelof over others.

I think had Tuenzebe and Rojo stayed fit that might have changed by now.

I do agree it's time to try a different partnership I imagine we will go to a back 3 for the next 2 league games after that I think we might see Lindelöf dropped and someone else given a chance.

All this pining for Smalling has to stop yeah we know he's better than Jones or Rojo but they all needed to go and the only offer that came in was for Smalling so the club had to let him leave.

To be fair to Lindelof, his recent form has been better than Maguire’s recent form.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 4th December 2019

Thought he had a good game tonight

Premier League: Manchester City 1-2 Manchester United - 7th December 2019

He was brilliant, although he could have done better for City's goal.

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 28th December 2019

Solid performance up against 2 battering ram centre forwards kept them pretty quiet

Best game for a while but still looks nothing like a 80m centre back but he didn’t set that price.

Premier League: Arsenal 2-0 Manchester United - 1st January 2020

He was awful.

He’s barely an upgrade.

I don't see him as an upgrade other than his distribution. I thought we were getting a big dominating centre half but he doesn't jumpa well and he isn't a powerful header of the ball. Basically he is lindelof but a couple of inches taller. Probably would be ok alongside smalling.

His distribution is a wee bit overrated. He keeps hold of the ball longer than necessary.

His distribution is a wee bit overrated. He keeps hold of the ball longer than necessary.
You know I've long thought actually his ball playing ability was overrated. I see him make passes that to me a lot of half decent ball playing CBs make. I see him on the ball and I see a player willing to bring it out but he doesn't necessarily look great doing it he just has the confidence to do it that's all.

He's no Rio. Hell he's no Stones on the ball.

FA Cup vs Wolves

Much better than Arsenal but played most of the game injured and surely should have been one of the players rested had a big workload in the first half of the season for a player not used to playing a European season.

Maguire our for a little bit of time with a hip injury. He has kind of been run into the ground, he should have gone off against Wolves at the weekend when the problem arose.

Looks like we are left with Jones and Lindelof as our partnership in defence. Best hope we don’t get another injury! Not sure where Rojo is and Bailly and Tuanzebe are injured. May have to call upon Fosu-Mensah but not sure if he’s injured either. Fun times!

Maguire our for a little bit of time with a hip injury. He has kind of been run into the ground, he should have gone off against Wolves at the weekend when the problem arose.

Poor game management by Ole

Bailly has been back in training for a few weeks so might be getting close to a return but I’m not really a fan he’s way to rash. Sounds like Rojo is off but who knows with him feels like it’s always like this with him.

Maguire who knows what he should have done vs Wolves but the injury happened in a tackle you can’t really plan for that I think we saw last night something of what he brings which is calmness at the back last night was full blown panic and with the games we have coming up it’s scary to think we might see more of that back 4.

this is bad news for a really struggling squad, that midfield CB combo is pretty lame now.

Apparently the reports were wrong the injury isn't a long term one at all he's actually in contention for the game tomorrow and trained today it's bruising rather than a muscle injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back