Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Fulham - 18th August 2018

First Premier League goal in August.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur v Wolverhampton Wanderers - 29th December 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Out until March. Son also off to the Asian games. This could hurt Spurs bid for 4th.

You never want to see a player injured no matter who they play for but this could be massive in the hunt for top 4 places. Spurs could drop like a stone down the league without a recognised goal scorer. Interesting times ahead...

levy needs to buy a striker in Jan if he wants to prove to Poch they are serious.

Spurs are right back in the top 4 battle now, unless they go and get a decent back up striker, which i doubt

Think they'll look for a loan deal if anything.

Can Moura & Lamela plug the gap as starters probably means any chance of the title is gone but can get hold you over for 6 weeks.

The talk was they were planning on letting Llorente go in January but you'd assume he will now stay playing with him will require a slight change in style but he's still a decent striker.

It's going to be tough for Spurs, everyone is going to put silly prices on their strikers.

It's things like this that could push Poch to United or Madrid,

I think they'd be stupid to buy unless a player that actually want for next season is available.

If they want a bit of security then they need to look for a loan option but they have Llorente so they'll just have to make do with what they have. He's still a decent striker who'd probably be starting for most sides in the league.

Whilst Llorente is a decent striker he just really doesn't fit the way they play. Kane helps them defend from the front and often drops deep to get involved in the build up play. At the end of the day losing your best striker is going to hurt every team in the league but to panic buy cos he's out for 4 weeks would be silly.

Moura can probably do a good job.

Think Moura is currently injured but he's due back shortly.

Guess this will be the test of Poch he'll have to adjust for the fact they don't have Kane

I think in this instance the problem can be laid at the feet of the board, no matter what happens I'd say Poch was in the clear. Their lack of investment in the playing staff is pretty bad.

They'll say he's got 2 senior strikers in Kane & Llorente plus Son so I don't really see how you can pin this on the board.

Yes the squad needed investment but it's the midfield that is short not the attack/defence.

Kane being injured is being highlighted currently but they're also currently without Dier, Wanyama & Sissoko plus they've just sold Dembele.

When everyone is fit they've actually got a fairly deep squad so I can see why they were reluctant to buy as the players that improve that first team will be players that cost £50m and probably won't want to come to Spurs.

It's just bad timing Son is going away as Kane got injured. Maybe Son should have a bit more loyalty to those that pay his wages.

I don't agree, they knew Son was going, basically they have 1 forward, he's injured.

You see the money spent on that squad compared the other top 6 there is hundreds of millions difference.

I know they have the new stadium, but that is not Poch's fault, he has one injury up front and no real replacement.

I don't think you can say that. It's like saying we have Lukaku injured and no one to come in. Rashford can come in yes but he's 21 and that may not be his best position. How's Llorente coming in any different to Rashford. In fact most managers would probably prefer the experienced man now days!

It's just bad timing Son is going away as Kane got injured. Maybe Son should have a bit more loyalty to those that pay his wages.

Wouldn't matter how much loyalty he has would it? It's FIFA recognised tournament isn't it? If called up and he chose not to go he'd be ineligible to play for Spurs anyway.

I don't agree, they knew Son was going, basically they have 1 forward, he's injured.

You see the money spent on that squad compared the other top 6 there is hundreds of millions difference.

I know they have the new stadium, but that is not Poch's fault, he has one injury up front and no real replacement.

Yes they knew Son was going but they didn't know Kane would get injured at the exact same time. Saw a stat saying this will be the first time they've not had either of them available for a game since Son joined.

Also, you can't just ignore the fact that Llorente exists he's an ex Spain international centre forward who scored a hat trick in the cup last week and came on against us.

There's a massive difference in spending because they've spent well picking up players like Lloris, Alli, Eriksen, Vertonghen for less than £10m and hitting the jackpot with Kane from the academy. Imagine having to buy those players in the transfer market currently.

Spurs had a squad capable of being top 4 this season they managed to keep hold of everyone which was massive but they never stated they wanted to go for the title. If they'd had everyone fit like say Liverpool had until a few weeks ago I think that squad could've challenged for the title.

Doesn't your last line say it all, if your squad is no good because you have injuries then it's not good enough to challenge.

They might have midfield injuries but they have coped as they are ok there. Two forward players are out and it's a real problem. That is the fault of whoever is in charge of buying players.

Let’s not forget they’ve also got Vincent Janssen who they paid £20m for 2 seasons ago but simply decided not to register him for the premier league this season.

He was top scorer in the Eredivisie with 27 goals in 34 games the season they signed him.

Can't understand why people are saying they have no forward now Kane is injured and Son is off to Asia. Llorente is a more than capable forward, admittedly no Harry Kane but it's not like they have NO options.

Doesn't your last line say it all, if your squad is no good because you have injuries then it's not good enough to challenge.

They might have midfield injuries but they have coped as they are ok there. Two forward players are out and it's a real problem. That is the fault of whoever is in charge of buying players.

Yeah but what can you expect to have to reasonably deal with in terms of injury?

Injuries play a massive part in who wins titles. Liverpool are flying this season have Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson, Allyson missed games through injury this season? Compare that to City who've had no De Bruyne, Aguero has had two spells out, Mendy has missed a lot of games.

You can only plan for so much and Spurs unlike some clubs live in the real world where you can only afford what your club can pay for they're building a new stadium they've got talented youngsters in the academy so they have to use them when they get injuries.

It's very true Spurs haven't invested in that squad but as I said buying a player to improve that starting XI costs £50-60m plus huge wages which probably disrupts any harmony in that dressing room because if the new boy comes in on £200k a week the likes of Alli, Eriksen etc will want parity.

Spurs play 1 up front how many clubs that play 1 up top have 3 proper strikers in the squad?

They don't need players to improve the first team, the problem is their striker is injured and they don't have a proper cover.

They should have invested in the squad players or promoted youth.

I guess we just differ, you think if they drop down the league it;s the managers fault, I think it's Levy's.

And I imagine Poch will think it's Levy's too. Which goes back to my original point. Poch could look at any offers more serioulsy from United or Madrid if Levy doesn't start helping the squad. He basically said as much.

They could lose Alderweireld and Erikson in the summer too.

Llorente amongst the goals already. 1-0 Fulham. Llorente own goal

They don't need players to improve the first team, the problem is their striker is injured and they don't have a proper cover.

They should have invested in the squad players or promoted youth.

I guess we just differ, you think if they drop down the league it;s the managers fault, I think it's Levy's.

And I imagine Poch will think it's Levy's too. Which goes back to my original point. Poch could look at any offers more serioulsy from United or Madrid if Levy doesn't start helping the squad. He basically said as much.

They could lose Alderweireld and Erikson in the summer too.

They do have cover he's called Son but bad timing means he's also not available so you're down to the 3rd choice in Llorente.

Never invest in squad players only ever buy to improve your first team if you want to move up the league that's the only way you improve.

I think if they fail to finish top 4 you have to take everything into account injuries are something you can't really plan for over a season and I'd say Spurs have been hit hard they also had a lot of players who went deep into the world cup. They've also gone full distance in the league cup to try and win a trophy something the fans demand and are 1 game from a final plus the two teams above them are both on course for 90+ points in a season.

Spurs don't live in fantasy land where money is infinite Liverpool to push on to the next level spent huge sums in the last year but they hit the jackpot when they sold Coutinho.

It's all about realistic expectation for a club like Spurs another top 4 finish is job done and if they can add a domestic cup that's a great season they're still well on track to do both for them to go for the title they'd need to buy players who improve their starting XI like Liverpool have done.

Exactly, will Poch be happy with those expectations, or will he want to manage a club who wants to win.

And getting back to your original point, it wont be Poch's fault if they fall down league afer losing Son and Kane, and now Ali.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back