Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Pre Season: Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Juventus - 5th August 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Everton 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 9th September 2017

Champions League: Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Borussia Dortmund - 13th September 2017

It's good to see him proving his quality at this level this is where the big reputations are earned and he was very good last night.

Dortmund's keeper needs to improve his positioning though leaving huge gaps at his near post.

Premier League: West Ham United 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 23rd September 2017

Premier League: APOEL v Tottenham - 26th September 2017

34 Goals in 30 game in 2017 is so impressive. If he was a bit shorter, Argentinian, and had a beard we would be giving him the Ballon D'or!

I think everyone is blowing it out of proportion to be honest. 19 of those goals are in 6 games. Which means he's got 15 in 24 which is still a fantastic record.

He's scored in 16 of 30 games he's played in. Just hits a lot of multiples. I mean 7 of those goals at the back end of last season counted for nothing no team in them had anything to play for. A hatrick against Championship Fulham and Hatrick against Nicosia.

His hatricks have come against

West Brom
Stoke
Fulham (Championship side)
Leicester (4) (League over for both sides)
Hull (Already relegated Tottenham got 7)
Nicosia

He's a good player but the comparisons to Messi and Ronaldo are ridiculous. They do it in Champions League Knockout games and Finals.

I think the comparison is valid purey based on stats because Ronaldo/Messi are also scoring loads of goals against the weaker sides in their leagues and quite of they're filling their boots vs these teams but the challenge for Kane to cement himself as a world class striker is to do it in the champions league year on year, last year he missed quite a bit of the group stage with injury this year now that he's got the chance he's scored 5 in 2 games including 2 vs Dortmund which is the same as Ronaldo.

It's ridiculous to compare him with those 2 anyway Kane/Lukaku/Morata (the new kids on the block) needs to be compared to guys like Suarez, Higuain, Costa, Lewendowski, Ibra, Cavani, Benzema guys who are the established elite centre forwards

I think everyone is blowing it out of proportion to be honest. 19 of those goals are in 6 games. Which means he's got 15 in 24 which is still a fantastic record.

He's scored in 16 of 30 games he's played in. Just hits a lot of multiples. I mean 7 of those goals at the back end of last season counted for nothing no team in them had anything to play for. A hatrick against Championship Fulham and Hatrick against Nicosia.

His hatricks have come against

West Brom
Stoke
Fulham (Championship side)
Leicester (4) (League over for both sides)
Hull (Already relegated Tottenham got 7)
Nicosia

He's a good player but the comparisons to Messi and Ronaldo are ridiculous. They do it in Champions League Knockout games and Finals.

Bit harsh. I'm not saying Harry Kane is world class yet. But you cant take away what a fantastic goal scoring record that is. Once you start breaking down where and how people score goals it gets sticky. Its like saying that Messi's 9 goals this season already in Spain mean less because he scored 7 in the Espanyol and Eibar games. Goals and Goals. Just want him to keep doing it into the international break.

Ronaldo’s last three hatricks come against Atletico Madrid in the league. Against Bayern Munich in the quarter finals of the Champions League and against Atletico Madrid in the Semi Finaks of the champions league.

Don’t know if any of you watched MNF but Henry made a similar point. Scoring goals against the bottom ten teams in the premier league isn’t the same as doing it when it matters. Goals aren’t goals. The 3rd and 4th goals in a 4-0 win aren’t the same as a Champions league final winning goal. Yes on a basic level they’re both a goal for the side but there is a massive level in importance. Kane hasn’t shown he can do it when it matters and until he does can’t be considered a world class striker

Again i'n not saying Kane is world class. Although I do think he will be. But at the end of the day he can only score in the games that Spurs can play in. Ronaldo is scoring hat tricks against Bayern and Atletico because he is a fantastic player yes, but his also playing in a side that allows him to do it on the biggest stage. That's what makes him world class. At some point either Spurs are going to have to win something or Kane is going to have to leave to test himself on that CL stage year in year out. Just like Lukaku has done this season.

But none of that takes away from that fact that Harry Kane is doing absolutely everything he can possibly do to have his name mentioned alongside other brilliant strikers. Not Messi and Ronaldo because you have to take them out of the World Class bracket because they are arguably the best two players to ever play the game. There's no point measuring players to their standards. So when Harry Kane does score this many goals in a calendar year and we are only in September, you've got to praise him. You cant break down his record of who he scored against. Just salute the fact his one of the most inform players in the world and scoring goals when ever he steps onto that field.

But that's my point. His goal scoring record may be better than 1 in 1 but he isn't scoring every time he steps on the field. He's scored 16 of the 30 times he's stepped on the field.

Until he wins something and proves he can do it when it counts I'll have my doubts.

I would rank Kane around Shearer status, a really top top finisher and will probably be there or there abouts at the top of the overall goalscoring charts year after year. I think he has his flaws though, his hold up play can be a little iffy and at times he can look quite cumbersome with the ball at his feet. However his eye for a goal is superb and some of his finishes are worthy of being considered world class. But overall still think he's in the very good player bracket.

From what I remember Shearer once came 3rd in the Ballon d'or stakes, Kane could eventually propel himself into those echelons but I doubt he'll ever win the top prize.

I think the whole argument about who he does and doesn't score against is flawed because he hasn't always had these big games to score in his biggest games for Spurs was a league cup final and a FA cup semi final both vs Chelsea, he scored in the semi final but didn't in the final of the league cup. As far as I'm aware his goal scoring record against the big sides in the league is fine he's not 1 in 1 but who is and I've not heard a narrative that he can't score vs good teams.

Spurs have never been in a title race they have managed to close gaps on leaders in Leicester and Chelsea but I don't believe they've ever been within 5 points so the idea he doesn't do it when it matters is a strange one.

His overall Prem League record for Spurs is 119 games 82 goals, I don't think anyone can really match that strike rate and 3 seasons in a row he's hit over 20 goals the only guy I think matching that right now in England is Aguero.

If you want to criticise him over anything it's that he needs to score some goals in August skipping a whole month of the season every year means he isn't world class :p

Fair points all around.

I'd add to it again that as good as Kane is now, and as good as a player he will be, I still don't think he will be as good as Lukaku.

I look at Rom's record and everything that he does and it's fantastic but i still think his got so much more to improve on and there's so much more potential in him then Kane in my eyes. How much better can Kane get? I think this is the best we will ever see Kane play. His challenge is just to maintain this form for as long as possible. Whereas Rom still needs to work on his finishing, his first touch, his hold up play, but yet is still delivering the numbers that he has. It's scary to think how good he will be when it all comes together.

I massively rate both players and think Harry Kane's record at the minute is World Class standard regardless of who his goals are against. I do believe goals are goals especially premier league ones. But I think for everything Kane will achieve when both hang their boots up Rom will achieve so much more and have had a better career.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 4-1 Liverpool - 22nd October 2017

Best striker in the league.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City - 9th December 2017

Premier League: Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur - 23rd December 2017

Hat-trick.

Harry Kane in 2017:

Games: 50
Goals: 56
Assists: 10
Hattricks: 8
Most Premier League Goals Scored In One Year
Highest Scorer In Europe's Top 5 Leagues for 2017

When did calendar year stats become a thing?

They’re so pointless because they span 2 seasons.

Kane had a great 2016/17 season but 0 trophies
Kane is probably going to have a better 2017/18 season but might still end up with 0 trophies.

The only record Kane can break is most goals in a 38 game season, these calendar year ones aren’t really records as we judge players over a season not a year.

I swear these stats were all made up because of the Messi vs Ronaldo debates for the Ballon D’or.

One of my friends worked this out for Harry Kane's PL goals:

Played 19 games: 18 goals, 1 assist

18 goals - 2 vs top 6 (in 1 game) , 5 vs top 10, 13 vs bottom 10

5 braces, 2 hat-tricks and 1 goal each in 2 separate games

Basically 18 goals scored in 9 games. The 1 assist came in his brace vs Liverpool. So other 10 games 0 goals 0 assists.

In UCL:

6 goals 2 assists

3 vs Apoel ( Hat trick) and 3 vs BVB (in 2 games)

Kane vs Madrid - Played 2 (0 goals, 1 assist)
So if we are looking for a striker who doesn’t go on a dry run then Kane isn’t our guy. Just posting this here as many of our fans are clamoring for Kane. Not necessarily on this forum but saw a lot of pining for Kane.

It's a point I made at the start of the season but the more I watch him the more I think he's turning in to an all round footballer too. The pass through to Son yesterday was sublime.

He's already on 18 prem goals for the season. You used to class an excellent striker as a 20 goal a season man. He's pretty much gauranteed to have his 4th 20+ prem goal season in a row. He's on 24 for the season in all comps. To put the 20 goals a season for 4 seasons in a row in to perspective. Previous players that have done it.

Henry - 5
Shearer - 4 (2 of those seasons were 42 game seasons)
Kane - 3 currently but will be 4.

That's the list complete.

Rooney and RVP managed 20 goal seasons twice in their prem careers.

For me the number 9 benchmark for the last 5 Year’s is Robert Lewendowski, Kane is very similar in style to him and RVP as a striker he’s got a bit of everything and scores all types of goals which makes him so dangerous.

When not scoring he’s like Rooney he can come deep and create chances for others but also puts in an absolute shift for the team.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Arsenal - 10th February 2018

The more I see him play the more I see shades of Van Persie. He's got that needle Robin had plus he's got unreal quality on the ball big, strong, quick, shoots from close in and from long range, headers, volleys. The boy's got everything but when he drops off the front he can play some fantastic passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back