Hargo returning in 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSNFRMN

Owen Hargreaves will be returning to Manchester in 2 weeks...

More to follow...

Could have done with a proper DM against Fulham and again today. Against Fulham we were caught out with a player unmarked on the penalty spot, happened again today... twice. You'd have to think a DM or even if O'Shea had stayed in midfield he would have been there.

I'd rather someone new in there now. Can imagine Fergie will delve into the market for one in January if Hargo doesn;t get back playing.

Fergie might expected Hargo to be back by now, reason why didn't go after someone in the transfer window, with the Defour rumors persisting, i think we might go for him in Jan..

Ain't got much hope for Hargo but you've got to respect his determination. This has given me a bit more hope on him though.

via @BenHibbs on Twitter: Owen Hargreaves back in training. SAF tells MUTV: "He trained yesterday with us and looked very good"

Fergie: "He trained yesterday with us and looked very good"

Play him then don't just talk about him.

Optimism has raised slightly, still have my doubts. The reason he missed the start of the season was because he needed more rehab, it wasn;t a setback. Probably needed to build up more strength in his knees.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...reaves-This-comeback-bid-will-be-my-last.html

usually don't believe in The Sun, much less in "Pal" who do not identify. But if true, I think is the best decision to be made. Remember reading in somewhere that after those 45 minutes for the Reserves he felt so much pain in the knees for almost a week, and he barely walk. And if this happens again, he will have no choice but to retire.

Dr Richard Steadman says he expects Hargo to play on the weekend according to the BBC.

I can only seeing him coming on if we're clear by a few goals, might not even be on the bench though, I think it'll be pretty harsh on the other lads to be brushed aside by someone who has hardly kicked a ball in the last 2 years. With him not being available for Bursaspor as he's not in the CL squad though, he might get in ahead of someone. Might see him start against Wolves the following week in the Carling Cup then.

Seem to remember Fergie telling us that Gary Neville would return in 2 weeks a few years ago, seem to be telling us that for about 10 months ;)

Thought he may have got a 10-15 minute spell as sub, though can't believe he hasn't had a run in the reserves to get match fit

I think he was pencilled in for the Carling Cup game. It was this Doctor who said he was going to play tomorrow.

It is no surprise, if you don't do much running for a while, your legs do go, I went back to Rugby last year after 2 years out and just kept picking up injuries... Groin, Hamstring, Calf all went in the space of 3 months. Hargreaves obviously hasn't done much running so this might be the case for him, he's also maybe pushing himself a lot to get back into contention which was what I was doing when I went back to Rugby. Not saying this is definitely Hargo's case but i'm just speaking from experience.

Missed this Hargo update: http://aggbot.com/docs/link.php?id=11308926&r=tw&c=46

Sir Alex Ferguson is weighing up pulling the plug on Owen Hargreaves' Manchester United career.

Hargreaves, who has not started a game for more than two years, is battling against the clock in his bid to save his United career.

Hargreaves had operations on both knees 10 months ago in a bid to cure tendonitis that sabotaged his Old Trafford hopes shortly after his ÂŁ17million move from Bayern Munich in 2007.

Ferguson said: “It is going to be difficult for Owen. The boy has not been back playing for more than two years.

“It is not an easy situation. He will have to play this season, otherwise he will have a terrible problem mentally because three years out is a long time.

“His contract is up in the summer but there is a one-year option so we will have to see where we are in the new year.

“The surgeon gave us first-class news and we were very positive about it ourselves.

“Owen came back and did really well training when he first came back, but he seems to have regressed and is back with the physios.

“There are no more operations he can have. The problem now is his calf injuries.

“That sometimes happens – you compensate by putting more pressure on other areas of the body.”

Fergie has said recently that the reason he won't buy in January is because we'll have 2 new signings in Hargo and Valencia plus we'll have Cleverley. What do we think? may buy Defour or another DM if Hargo isn't going to come back.

sadly i think it's time to put the horse out to pasture (been learning of S.A.F....lol)and say goodbye to Hargreaves as much as i hate to say it, but surely we have spent enough time,effort and something we cannot afford(not with rooneys new contract) money.if we lose out on a possible signing due to hope or expectations it's not a good thing for United..

Exactly. He can't give up, these injuries are likely to happen after 2 years without playing really. Needs to keep going if his knees are good.

When a player has been out injured for a long long time,when he returns he will have small niggles.It's not surprising.Only relief is that it's not his knee so it is a bit of good news.Hargreaves has done so much to return and play after 2 years.Can't see him giving up so easily now.

i think same happened with Gary Neville when he was returning from Injury, i'm sure he'll be back soon.
good to see him on the pitch, and his crossing in the 4-5 mins he was on was better than Bebe's crossing in the entire game!! :D

It's believed he's out between 2-3 weeks.

Reserve Fixtures for next month.
11th Nov - WBA - Very unlikely.
18th Nov - Wigan - Unlikely.
23rd Nov - Shitty - Possible.
9th Dec - Newcastle - Should be available.

I think the aim should be to play him vs Shitty and then see how that goes and maybe play him vs West Ham in the Carling Cup, don't play him without a Reserve game though. Definitely shouldn't rush him back in again. Play him in the Reserves and tell him to take it easy.

Great that his knee is fine, we pretty much knew that anyway. 5 weeks is also Ole's final Reserves game against Chelsea. What do we think? Hargo returning for Ole's farewell game, Ole who also had a bad knee injury and was pretty much out for 2 years too.

On one hand, we can say that he made a mistake. Particularly I think he should have done the same as he did last season against Sunderland. Put him on in last minutes of the game. But I also think that this injury would happen sooner or later. Certainly it would be more appropriate if he played for the reserves first.

On the other hand, I don't know how he was training, his talking with Ferguson and the medical staff. He apparently trained well and if he hadn't fit or appearently fit, the medical staff would not approve it.

I think with illness and injuries it was a risk that had to be taken, had there not been illness and injuries he wouldn't have played. Ideally, SAF would have wanted him playing a Reserves game or 2 first, but there were none. In my opinion this is a minor setback.

Still hoping he can make a full recovery! If he and Fletcher played against Barca in the final it would have ended differently.

I'd love to see him back, but I think it's time to move on and get someone more up to the task in, someone more reliable.

Unfortunately he has bad luck. That's all i can conclude with that amount of setbacks. Too bad. I think if he can't play again this season, he should retire. Anyway, I'd not offload him. I think a pay as you play deal could be an interesting alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back