Happy or disappointed with 0-0?

0-0 away I think is a bad result now in the knockout stage you have to get an away goal when you play away first gives us a big problem in the 2nd leg now because 1 goal means we’ve got to score twice. This wasn’t away to a top side where you maybe think 0-0 is good enough really Utd should be looking to score 1 or 2 away to Sevilla.

Can see why he played this way he clearly wanted to protect his defence with the 3 man midfield but we never really broke on them and didn’t bring the ball forward and keep it for long period and I don’t think we had a shot on target in 90 minutes.

At no point did we sustain any pressure and I think we were very lucky to get out of their with a 0-0.

The team has hit a real rut form wise recently and they need to get out of it otherwise we could end up wasting all our good early work.

Sevilla were poor not if's or but's about it and we should have attacked them tonight. While I'm confident we will get the job done at OT the fact is we are 1 mistake away from conceding a crucial away goal meaning tonight would have been a waste of time.

That sort of tactic and shape is what we should play away at PSG or Madrid not Sevilla. Just gave them too much respect. I'd be happy if I was them, knowing that all they need to do is score 1 goal at OT and they turn into favourites now.

In Europe I think any time you can take a draw away from home you've got to be happy. But it leaves us in a perilous position. One Sevilla goal and we are in trouble.

Overall i guess Jose did what Jose does... But it was ugly and from what I've read it wasn't a good performance.

Hate away goals, Leverkusan, Porto, Dortmund, Munich! Happened all to many times, worried about that second leg as we got away with that last night, some very poor finishing and some ridiculous saves from the great man.

Martial cannot start on the bench, he done more in ten minutes than Sanchez managed in 70 odd, Mata, didn't know he was on the pitch! Pogba was ok few nice touches etc., thought McTominey played very well, handled the pressure and occasion superbly, that was a massive night for the young lad and he was brilliant, only other outfield player I thought done well was Lindelof, thought he done everything required and played well, Smalling looked very shaky as did the full backs.

Happy with a 0-0, not really, teams seem to always score away goals these days and not overly confident of keeping a clean sheet at OT, need to just go for it and get two up as quickly as possible to cancel out the away goal threat, unless they get two of course!

Thought both centre backs played well but they were well protected in the system as the full backs stayed close and they had 2 holding players in front of them at all times.

Both full backs struggled with the wide players from Sevilla who were very tricky and weren't afraid to hit the deck if you went anywhere near them they didn't have rings run around them but it was a tough night for them and neither of them really ventured forward at all not sure I remember either of them putting a cross in all game.

In midfield McTominay was fine without the ball kept his possession and won the ball back a few times but with it we need more from him it's all very safe play and a bit Tom Cleverley, the next level for him is impoving his confidence in his passing so he can play a bit longer and take a bit more risk.

Pogba looks very low on confidence right now there were a few flicks and tricks but he didn't get past the opposition back 4 at all and he didn't really create much either but again he was disciplined and maybe is just trying to go below the radar a bit the main thing is right now is he doesn't look physically powerful you wonder if this illness has affected him a little more than he's letting on.

Matic was awful last night he looks knackered he's still got his strength but he can't move and he's making some very lazy and sloppy passes which can put us in dangerous positions he's looking a shadow of the guy who arrived in the summer.

Up top we just had nothing Sanchez had to come so deep to get a touch, Mata was missing for pretty much the entire game and Lukaku couldn't hold anything up at all and wasted a very good opportunity with that volley in the first half not saying you expect him to score but with that much time and space you expect him to hit the target.

JSP - McTominay has only played a handful of games, give him a break, he's done really well.

Pogba's agent has been touting him round Europe, no one interested which says it all. He can't play the system everyone plays.

Lukaku needs dropping for Rashford and I would start with Chelsea.

I think everything and everyone would look better if we had full backs that played wide and hugged the touchline. Both sides last night was guilty of playing everything through the middle and there was some big lads in that crowded space. Pogba, Matic, Mctominay and Nzonzi wouldn't get in willy wonka's oompa loompa gang would they?

So space to operate in becames a luxury that no one had in order showcase a bit of composure that the game needed. Add that problem to the fact there must have been a team of Japanese snipers around the stadium, because everyone was falling over, and you get a tough game to watch.

If the pitch was opened up and there was an outlet on the flank we would see the best of Alexis and Pogba because they would have space. You'd increase crosses into the box and you'd see the best of Lukaku. Maybe away in a last 16 CL time isn't the time to get full backs forward, but the frustrating thing is City, Liverpool and spurs would have tried last night and we didnt.

Second leg is a winner takes all tie now which is a huge gamble by Jose. If he gets this wrong his going to be right back in the firing line again.

Sevilla have lost at home once this season. They’re a poor away side and we should go through this tie now.

I was thinking at one stage a good way thru the second half last night, Pogba doesn't fancy a shot anymore, last season he was blazing them into row Z from everywhere, then all of a sudden he lashes one from a good 40m out! I was like, wtf! He had been in better shooting positions a few times last night and didn't pull the trigger then goes and does a ridiculous one. He was very poor again last night, trotting round like a shetland pony. I don't see him run with any menace or intent anymore, its like a practice match.

Matic just had his usual poor performance, crazy wayward passes again you wouldn't expect. McTominay was the only midfielder who came out of that game with any credit.

Can see us beating them at home but let's be honest, any half decent team would have scored 2 or 3 last night. We're miles off at the minute.

JSP - McTominay has only played a handful of games, give him a break, he's done really well.

Pogba's agent has been touting him round Europe, no one interested which says it all. He can't play the system everyone plays.

Lukaku needs dropping for Rashford and I would start with Chelsea.

I didn't slag him off I said he was fine he did an ok job in a midfield that protected him and played tight and compact which helps him all I said is with the ball he needs to do a bit more to push himself on to the next level. The issue for him might be playing with Matic that is 2 players who don't really create much with their passing it puts a big burden on Pogba in the 3 and neither of them are particularly good at driving forward with the ball or carry much of a goal threat. I think McTominay has really grasped the defensive side of the role but the next step is developing his ability as a playmaker. If you take Carrick as the guy who's set the standard in that sort of role he was good at protecting the defence but he also needs to start attacking moves when he's got the ball at Utd you can't just play safe all the time you have to be brave.

Thought both centre backs played well but they were well protected in the system as the full backs stayed close and they had 2 holding players in front of them at all times.

Both full backs struggled with the wide players from Sevilla who were very tricky and weren't afraid to hit the deck if you went anywhere near them they didn't have rings run around them but it was a tough night for them and neither of them really ventured forward at all not sure I remember either of them putting a cross in all game.

In midfield McTominay was fine without the ball kept his possession and won the ball back a few times but with it we need more from him it's all very safe play and a bit Tom Cleverley, the next level for him is impoving his confidence in his passing so he can play a bit longer and take a bit more risk.

Pogba looks very low on confidence right now there were a few flicks and tricks but he didn't get past the opposition back 4 at all and he didn't really create much either but again he was disciplined and maybe is just trying to go below the radar a bit the main thing is right now is he doesn't look physically powerful you wonder if this illness has affected him a little more than he's letting on.

Matic was awful last night he looks knackered he's still got his strength but he can't move and he's making some very lazy and sloppy passes which can put us in dangerous positions he's looking a shadow of the guy who arrived in the summer.

Up top we just had nothing Sanchez had to come so deep to get a touch, Mata was missing for pretty much the entire game and Lukaku couldn't hold anything up at all and wasted a very good opportunity with that volley in the first half not saying you expect him to score but with that much time and space you expect him to hit the target.

Give McTominey a chance mate bloody hell, knockout stage away at a club who have just got to their domestic cup final and been flying, that was a massive night and a superb experience, he stood there and matched up to everything thrown at him, phenomenal for such a young inexperienced lad.

We don't half try and find cracks in our youngsters on here bloody hell lol

Whilst Herrera was fit McTominey was actually playing the attacking role of the 3.

There was one point he controlled it beautifully and the ref gave a free kick for what I think was high foot. Ridiculous.

For a kid who has played no more than 10 games, brilliant. Has shown a lot more in 10 games than a lot of them have over a season, my midfield options next year if given the choice would be:

Pogba Jorginho Vidal/Seri

Back Up
McTominey
Pereira
Matic

Disappointed with performance more than result but disappointed with both but even more disappointed knowing Mourinho is happy with it. We looked better when Martial and Rashford came on. De Gea was the difference between draw and defeat. McTominay the only outfield player to come out of it with his head held high.

Disappointed but having seen our record in Spain over the last 20 years, it's no surprise. 0-0's with Valencia (twice), Real Madrid, Villarreal (twice), Barcelona and Real Sociedad. Lost to Deportivo (twice), Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao.

Still confident of progressing but we look far away from being a cohesive team rather than a team that has just been thrown together.

I can't help but feel that Jose is making a rod for his own back with Pogba? Why did he start him on the bench in arguably our biggest match of the season so far?

Strachan spoke well on this. A manager doesn't drop a player to prove a point, if they have something to say or want to be the boss then they do it face to face. A player on form doesn't get dropped and make the side worse. Pogba was dropped because he's not playing well and only he can sort that out.

Like I said before, I love Pogba, but he's got to do more, you can't say I want to play here and then sulk when you don't. He's got to get better at defending.

Jose Mourinho stance on Paul Pogba backed by Gordon Strachan

The last 10 minutes Sevilla looked absolutely shattered. I think we’ll keep it tight at Old Trafford and look to hit them late on as they tire. Game wasn’t even played at a high tempo and they controlled possession most of it so no idea why they were so tired

Give McTominey a chance mate bloody hell, knockout stage away at a club who have just got to their domestic cup final and been flying, that was a massive night and a superb experience, he stood there and matched up to everything thrown at him, phenomenal for such a young inexperienced lad.

We don't half try and find cracks in our youngsters on here bloody hell lol

I said he was fine the bar at Utd is incredibly high and he sat in and did a job in a defensive setup which is fine but next level is to add some attacking threat to all that.

The midfield bar has not been as high recently, maybe the in the Keane days yeah but that was when a CM could actually do two jobs and not just one like they do these days.

At the moment, to be a CM at United, you don't have to be to good at anything, a few signings and a few more chances to the kids for me, ship out the deadwood who offer the square root of f-all

Anyone see the Mourinho questioning on Sanchez and if Sanchez can listen to a manager tactically or Just has to be left to do his own thing.

‘‘I think you are all, or many of you, in a new sport, you know?

‘When in England some guys they say the wingers they should not defend, the next time I see David Beckham I am going to ask him: “David, when you were playing right wing in Manchester United, when the left back attack, do you stay looking at the stand or you come back with the guy?” I’m going to ask David that.

‘And everybody knows I’m not a big friend with Roy Keane or Paul Scholes, but I will ask them: “when your team lost the ball did you drop back or stay walking on the pitch?”

‘Because now it looks like all the good players they have to play free, and when the team has the ball.

‘But I think that is such a stupid thing to say. When the team has the ball, you attack. When the team doesn’t have the ball, you defend.

‘It’s as simple as that. But it looks like know some guys are creating a new sport. But I still don’t see it.

‘Because the winning teams, the top teams in the world, now, not 20 or 30 years ago, now – everybody works. Everybody has tactical discipline.’

He’s spot on. Players used to be up and down that pitch all day long. Back and forth effecting both sides of the ball. This whole DM Holding and Attacking mids p!ss me off.

100% agree with him now, why, because you can do a Cruyff turn or a drag bag or a some fifa skill move do you not have to track back, press, work hard.

Does my head in these days, even the likes of Scholes could not tackle for toffee but he was always pressing always working hard, tracking, and if players did not do their job defensively Fergie would absolutely rollock them!

Beckham v Greece at OT anyone, one of the best wide right performances I can remember, he was everywhere, his defensive work was tremendous, he was helping out, tracking back, getting tackles in, up and down that line like a mad man, why do modern fooballers feel they get a free pass from working hard and doing the hard graft, if people don't wanna do it then get them sold, I don't give a sh*t who you are.

100% agree with Jose, either do your job or get f**ed

Thing is as well, all these attacking players who don't want to defend are offering us nothing going forward either! Just get your pipe and slippers out boys, take a seat, take a load off

100% agree with him now, why, because you can do a Cruyff turn or a drag bag or a some fifa skill move do you not have to track back, press, work hard.

Does my head in these days, even the likes of Scholes could not tackle for toffee but he was always pressing always working hard, tracking, and if players did not do their job defensively Fergie would absolutely rollock them!

Beckham v Greece at OT anyone, one of the best wide right performances I can remember, he was everywhere, his defensive work was tremendous, he was helping out, tracking back, getting tackles in, up and down that line like a mad man, why do modern fooballers feel they get a free pass from working hard and doing the hard graft, if people don't wanna do it then get them sold, I don't give a sh*t who you are.

100% agree with Jose, either do your job or get f**ed

the rest of the team did have to run around covering him though, he was a bit tactically unaware that game really. Albeit he scored a corker.

the problem is simple, we have defenders who aren't good enough to defend, midfielders who don't want to track back and forwards who can't score.

We are not a team, the defence can't play out so hump it forward, the attackers want to win the game solo and move and our CF has a polarity problem between his boot and the ball.

the rest of the team did have to run around covering him though, he was a bit tactically unaware that game really. Albeit he scored a corker.

Absolutely unplayable that day, he got England to the World Cup virtually on his own, phenomenal!

How bad was Lukaku's touch last night? His poorest peformance touch wise for a while.

bloody hell only tongue and cheek, "or get em yourself a new club"

Apologies!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back