Hands-free phone ban for drivers?

Banning the use of handheld phone whilst driving was a sensible move by the government as it caused the driver to be distracted as well as not having full control of the wheel especially in an emergency situation. on the other hand, most cars now come equipped with a telematic system as standard and banning handsfree use would cause an uproar.

How would they do it?

Would they have to get everyone to take cars to dealers and get the facility disabled?
Would you just have a ban on installing it in new cars?
Is talking on the phone really more dangerous than talking to another passenger?

Driving cars is dangerous accidents will happen because you have the chance of a mechanical failure, poorly maintained roads, poor road conditions and human error.

For me the actual solution to this is better enforcement of the rules that currently exist that means more police out on the roads patrolling and pulling up those who brake the laws and tougher penalties for those who break them.

Really the responsibility is on us as drivers rules won't change it those who want to drive recklessly will continue to do it until they make a mistake and hurt either themselves or someone.

Long and short I don't think changing the law here will make it any safer and in reality in 10-15 years time it'll all be driverless cars.

They discussed this on R5 yesterday. Someone said that research shows that even being on handsfree can significantly affect response time. The brain picks one thing to concentrate on over the other.

I can't see how they can pass it to be honest.

It wouldn't really bother me if they changed the law but I just think the real change comes with enforcement of the current rules get more police out on the roads catching people that already break the rules and force those caught breaking them to re-sit tests to get license back.

Changing the radio is as distracting as talking on hands free but as drivers we learn to do it and these tests are always subjective because reality is anything that takes away 100% focus on driving will change reaction time.

The main reason more accidents happen now is because there are more cars on the roads.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back