Handball Rule

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Can it be changed mid season or are we stuck with it?

Defending is hard enough without introducing more punishing rules.

It was changed mid season last year so I imagine it can be changed now

Didn’t they make the change we have now but it didn’t come in until the new season started?

Just saw the Spurs one, how was that handball? He wasn’t even looking and he didn’t go towards the ball with his arm. It was a ridiculous decision but the refs have got their instructions so their hands are tied.

It has to be reviewed. We’ve been on the wrong end vs Palace and it’s going to keep happening. Crazy rule.

the rule is ridiculous.

they gave a pen count for the leagues last season on MoTD2.

I can't remember the figures, but Prem pens for hand ball last season was something like 19, La Liga and Serie A were up in and around the 50 mark.

This has been the rule according to FIFA since 2018 apparently the PL just never enforced it properly they’ve now been told they have to apply the rule as written.

The only change this season is FIFA now say the arm starts below the sleeve rather than at the shoulder.

I get what they want to do make the rule simple and more consistent for refs to apply but the punishment of a penalty is way to harsh for the crime.

Was in the car earlier and had Talk Sport on the radio talking about the handball rule and VAR in general.
So happened Rod Stewart phoned in to give his views and totally slated VAR. He was saying he really missed the conversations down the pub about the ref being an arsehole, being robbed, etc etc :)
Always been a top down to earth bloke our Rod.

I was never a fan of VAR for this reason. football and sport in general teaches you some valuable life lessons which is life isn’t always fair, you aren’t always right and sometimes you have to accept someone else has made a mistake.

Because we now have VAR at the top level of the game that is dictating changes to the rules that we all have to play by that means Sunday league refs or kids football refs have to give penalties/free kicks every time he sees the ball hit a hand.

The broadcasters focus on hammering refs/assistants making any errors post game for 25 years since TV really took over the game has caused VAR. I don’t think fans really wanted it a VAR review in the ground is dreadful and the joy of scoring a goal is ruined because you need to wait 30 seconds or more to be certain it counts.

They softened the rule in an attacking sense which is why Havertz handball in the build up to their equaliser stood when last season it would likely have been ruled out.

I should make it clear, I think the rule is a joke, as is VAR

But I recall managers like Roy Hodgson moaning they don't get the decisions, big clubs get the big calls etc etc. So they brought VAR in.

The problem with a system like that, you need a strict set of rules to work to or it doesn't work. So that's what we have. You can't have wishy rules and VAR. So we now need to just live it and get on with it. It's the sames rules for everyone.

You can have wishy washy rules with VAR a foul is still a very subjective thing so handball should also remain that way the ref has the ability to go and check the monitor and say yes that's clearly handball, looking to gain an advantage etc or no that's an accidental handball.

If anything VAR makes it much easier for a ref to decide if it's hand ball or ball to hand as he has the time to assess all the information.

The purpose of VAR was to make it easier for the ref to make subjective calls.

It's the consistency vs common sense argument and pundits and managers flip flop on it one minute they want consistency the next they want common sense. The way the rules are going it's going much more towards consistency and much less room for common sense.

These rules don't just govern elite level sport though they are there for everyone and without VAR the refs lower down have no chance of being consistent.

I might be wrong but when other sports introduced the video reviews did they start changing all the rules of the game or did they basically stay the same?

You can have wishy washy rules with VAR a foul is still a very subjective thing so handball should also remain that way the ref has the ability to go and check the monitor and say yes that's clearly handball, looking to gain an advantage etc or no that's an accidental handball.

If anything VAR makes it much easier for a ref to decide if it's hand ball or ball to hand as he has the time to assess all the information.

The purpose of VAR was to make it easier for the ref to make subjective calls.

It's the consistency vs common sense argument and pundits and managers flip flop on it one minute they want consistency the next they want common sense. The way the rules are going it's going much more towards consistency and much less room for common sense.

These rules don't just govern elite level sport though they are there for everyone and without VAR the refs lower down have no chance of being consistent.

I might be wrong but when other sports introduced the video reviews did they start changing all the rules of the game or did they basically stay the same?
Hockey made changes to the rules in the crease, which changed a lot of things.

The rules come from FIFA, we don't have to follow them, but then we'll playing to rules different to every other competition we play in.

A foul is a foul. The only complaints we get from VAR is re: handball.

Everyone accepts the very strict offside rules. So they should accpet this.

I reiterate, I don't agree with it. it's complete garbage, but I assume they are trying rule out ref's making decisions because one ref might give something that another ref doesn't. Then managers moan about that. So they have given handball guidlines.

they are the new rules, so deal with them. Managers will moan will always moan when they lose.

The rules come from IFAB not FIFA but you are obliged to play by them if you don't UEFA could decide to remove CL/EL places and FIFA may take action against your FA on a national level. The rules of the game are supposed to be applied consistently at all levels. Obviously things like red/yellows for fouls aren't a ruthlessly handed out at amateur level as the top level but in theory they should be if it's part of an organised league.

Your point about a foul is just wrong as contact is allowed in the sport so the ref always has to make a judgement call over is the contact made by one player fair or unfair. Take the Connolly penalty against us at the weekend that they over ruled on review. To me that's 50/50 Connolly certainly looks to initiate the contact by slowing down as he cuts across but he also needs to slow down to take his shot so it's a natural thing to do Pogba who is chasing him then bundles it over. Had that penalty stood Utd could have had no complaints really.

On handball the referee still needs to take consideration as to where the arm is in relation to the contact the ball can hit your hand/arm but if the arm is tight to the body it's not hand ball if it's away from the body in any way then it appears that this is now handball. Hence why you see defenders going to block shots/crosses now with both arms behind there backs that is how you must defend now but it mean you are totally off balance and vulnerable to a dummy by the opponent.

Just feels to me like they want to make the game more high scoring and make it almost impossible to defend.

it doesn't matter if their hands are behind their backs and off balance, it's the rules, and it's the same for both teams.

the managers used to moan there was no consistency. Now there is they moan.

As a fan, the rule is killing the game, as is VAR. But it is making the game more clear cut, it's becoming robotic which is why no one likes it. As I said Hodgson moaned before that they weren't getting decisions. Now tech has been brought in for him to get those decisions he is still moaning. The managers will moan, in some respects their opinion is irrelevant, fans should be listenened to.

And I disagree my point is wrong, before we would have had a penalty agaisnt us when it wasn't a penalty. If you try and cheat to get a penalty you should be booked, Social media opinion (according to the radio commentry) was pretty damning towards Connolly. And the radio commentry on first view said pen, when they saw it again they said no pen.

Surely we wanted the rules as they were to be applied more consistently changing the rules to make them easier to apply consistently then adding VAR which means they become even stricter doesn't really satisfy either side especially when the punishment is so severe.

For Connolly I've heard quite a few pundits ex players and ex managers go either way on it like I said it's subjective the fine line between clever play and cheating drawing a foul and diving. One of the things that does my head in currently is all channels now have the "ex ref pundit" it's a great idea but in reality all they do is support whatever decision the ref makes after he's made it as they don't want to dig out a fellow ref in public.

I just think the penalties being awarded are way to strong a punishment for the crimes being committed if we're going down this road then the penalty system needs to change get rid of the box if you deny a clear goal scoring opportunity anywhere on the pitch it's a penalty. Block a shot with your hand it's a penalty everything else is just a free kick.

I agree the rule is too strict, but it's the same for everyone and is consistent. If it hits your hand, pretty much it's a penalty unless your hands are down by your side. Takes away any doubt from one ref to the next.

It's so difficult to move the distinction and still have consistency I guess.

But if you shoot and it hits a defender 1 yard outside the box the chance of scoring from that free kick is probably 5-10% if he's 1 year further forward you get a 85-90% chance of scoring.

I'm not sure I understand the point, you kick someone one yard outside the box, it's the same.

I'm not sure I understand the point, you kick someone one yard outside the box, it's the same.

The point is penalties exist in football because when the game first started it was much more territory based and you have to do a lot more for the ref to blow for a foul.

The numerous rule changes to make it now easier to be fouled or handle the ball so we are seeing a lot more penalties.

We want consistency but where I am stood as a defender dictates whether or not VAR will look at my handball or foul so we aren't being consistent in the application of the rule at all.

The penalty exists because someone decided that in that area a foul likely meant the team lost the opportunity to score a goal the way the game is now with fouls so easily committed a penalty just seems like an extreme punishment for what are often minor infractions that only get punished in the penalty box.

right, but the law is, only the GK can use his hand. You can't say the ball doesn't hit Dier, it goes to a Toon player and it's a goal. Does it matter he can't see it? it hit his hand, and it shouldn't.

It's all subjective, do I like the rule? nope. Is the rule now less likely to have inconstancies, yes I believe it will. The fact is, it's the rule and its the same for everyone, get on with it. Managers will moan whatever happens, they did before VAR, they do now. And the pundits love anything that wasn't like in their day. Souness used to moan that two footed tackles were ruled out I imagine.

It's getting to the point I'm not sure if VAR is ruining the game, or all the ex pro's moaning about it. MoTD loves a VAR contoversy, it's boring and it's not going anywhere, just move on.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back