Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018' started by Sideshow Bob, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

[​IMG]

Tuesday, 19th June 2018
    Colombia v Japan, 13:00
    Poland v Senegal, 16:00

Sunday, 24th June 2018
    Japan v Senegal, 16:00
    Poland v Colombia, 19:00

Thursday, 28th June 2018
    Japan v Poland, 15:00
    Senegal v Colombia, 15:00​

2. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

And isn't this the group where we play the winner or runner up depending on where we finish? Think if we, as expected, make the knock outs then we will fancy our chances against any of these.

3. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

So I had this group down as Columbia comfortable winners of this group and our opponents in the next round. But they've just lost to Japan so that may no longer be the case!

Bit of a mare for Columbia that.

4. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

The South American teams aren't having a great time of it.

Uruguay - Late winner vs Egypt
    Brazil - Drew vs Switzerland
    Argentina - Drew vs Iceland
    Peru - Lost vs Denmark
    Columbia - Lost vs Japan

5. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

Lots of results that we thought would be nailed on not happened, Germany, Brazil, England :):):)

Could be a really interesting tournament. Be great to see an underdog win it ahem England cough

6. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

The Columbia one is the only shock there for me and just seen they went down to 10 men after 3 minutes so going to be tough to win from there.

Argentina are not a good team they are a group of really good players but we saw in qualifying that they are a lot less than the sum of their parts probably because they've got a poor keeper, average defenders and no central midfield just world class wide players/strikers.

Switzerland are a good side so them drawing with Brazil wasn't a huge shock and Brazil did enough to win that game just didn't take the chances they created.

This group is really evenly balanced I don't think any team going through/going out would be a massive upset.

7. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

Have we had anyone come from behind to win yet? I can't think of one.

8. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

@jsp - Surely Mexico beating the reigning Champions and completely destroying them for 45 minutes was a shock. Should have been 3/4-0 up at HT

9. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Yeah that was a big shock but the comment above was about South American teams not European/North American teams ;)

10. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

Ahh thought you was responding to this as it's the one directly above your post!

11. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Colombia let me down big time. Had Sweden, Colombia and Senegal on my acca!

12. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

I guess the results yesterday kind of leave this group wide open really? I think most would have tipped Poland and Columbia to progress? Even though that was far from certain.

13. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think this group on paper was the most evenly matched group in the tournament anyone can beat anyone, I guess for Columbia they'll need to risk James in game two from the start as he's the key man for them but he's obviously got an injury and how good is there 3rd centre back as they'll be missing Sanches for 1 game because of his red card.

Senegal looked impressive got two really direct quick guys out wide, Niang looks a handful up top and they have a top class centre back in Koulibally. For me they're the one I want England to avoid in the second round as I think they could give us big problems.

14. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member