Goals Goals Goals do you miss them?

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Saw a stat yesterday saying since Fergie left Utd haven’t scored 6 goals or more in a single league game

These are our goals total in league seasons including the last Fergie season

2012/13 - 86
2013/14 - 64
2014/15 - 62
2015/16 - 49
2016/17 - 54
2017/18 - 68
2018/19 - 65

That’s a pretty damning set of results a lot of fingers being pointed at the defence but Utd consistently averaging less than 2 goals a game over 6 seasons if you don’t score goals you don’t win games.

I struggle to see where the goals are going to come from. Will United break their own record for the fewest goals scored in a season?

Going to be hard to beat 2015/16 but feels like this team has to to be super clinical to win can’t afford to miss good even average chances

We came in to this season knowing goals were going to be hard to come by. Rashford is not a natural goalscorer and I think it's fair to say that he won't ever be. There's enough of a sample size on him now to declare that.

We sold Lukaku and didn't replace him, that's a big issue. I got why we sold him and so I have no issue with that decision but we had to replace him.

It's simply not good enough for a club of this size to be so disconnected.

I think the hope was that our two youngsters would come of age and step up a level and it looked promising first few games but both are now injured and there's nothing behind them.

I do think in January they have to try and find a short term fix to the problem either a loan or a short term fix with a senior player.

Selling Lukaku and loaning Sanchez after our transfer window shut almost felt like Utd were prepared to write this season off the hope was the boys would come good but if they didn't there was no back up plan.

We sold Lukaku and didn't replace him, that's a big issue. I got why we sold him and so I have no issue with that decision but we had to replace him.

People wanted Rashford and Martial to be number 1 choices. They’ve just got £200k a week contacts. People would moan if we’d signed a CF to go ahead of them. If we signed another player to go in Greenwood’s way people would have moaned.

Whatever happens people supporting this club aren’t going to be happy. It’ll be oh he should give youth a chance or why haven’t we signed more experienced players. Not singling out anyone in particular on here just in general.

I think we needed to try and make it work with Rashford and Martial because it’s time they stepped up or were sold on. Martial hasn’t improved significantly since he joined and Rashford appears like him to be going backwards. Where is the pressure on these guys to perform. The seasons a write off so when fit I’d drop Rashford for Greenwood for a premiership game and make him realise he isn’t undroppable. I got selling Lukaku but it was criminal letting Sanchez leave.

People wanted Rashford and Martial to be number 1 choices. They’ve just got £200k a week contacts. People would moan if we’d signed a CF to go ahead of them. If we signed another player to go in Greenwood’s way people would have moaned.
People are also foolish. Rashford and Martial were never going to be enough. Bringing someone in wouldn't limit Greenwood anymore than he's being limited. He's a young unproven option that is very much being used that way.

Think most people said Lukaku didn't need a like for like replacement but he did need to be replaced we needed a striker to compete with the likes of Rashford/Martial but not be a nailed on first choice guy. There was talk of players like Ben Yedder, Mandzukic, Llorente all to some extent made sense.

Yep. United have scored 2 goals or more in a single game on 3 occasions in the last 25 games.

I fancy that to change this weekend. Pogba Martial back. James and Rashford back to fitness. Think we’ll get 4.

When all else fails fall back on blind optimism. If we get 2 I will feel like throwing a street party. I hope you're right

When all else fails fall back on blind optimism. If we get 2 I will feel like throwing a street party. I hope you're right

It isn’t blind optimism when I stated the reasons for thinking it.

Go enjoy your party.

Yep. United have scored 2 goals or more in a single game on 3 occasions in the last 25 games.

2 or more goals in 4 of our last 5 games now. Think it was a run of 12 without before that. So things are trending in the right direction.

Two promoted teams up next before Spurs and City.

There’s definitely improvement here. 35 goals in our last 16 games since the horrific run before it.

Martial being back and Rashford going back to the wing has definitely made a difference the team is having less and less of those off days.

Weirdly goals have come at a cost defensively as that was our first clean sheet since September in the league guess he just hasn’t quite found that balance yet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They've really dried up again on us haven't they.

6 goals in 7 games this month and 4 of them came in one game vs Norwich.

2 wins 1 draw and 4 defeats is not a good month but warning signs were there we all said the squad is short players should have been secured for the start of January not the end.

We’ve scored 5 or more in 4 of our last 16 games.

43 goals in that time.

55 goals for the front 3. Which is even more amazing when considering this thread was created this season because we couldn’t score.

It’s fun being a Man Utd fan at the moment with this front 5 ticking over.

Yeah been a crazy turn around I was at Bruno’s first game a 0-0 draw with Wolves but since then the goals have really started flowing. 5 genuine goal threats on the pitch now our full backs pushing up nice and high to a team taking risks again vs the weaker sides.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back