Giggs to be offered role as U21s manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If he's serious about managing the club one day he needs to go out and gain real Premier League management experience.

But I can appreciate what the club are trying to do though and it seems very obvious they want to try everything to ensure one day he's the manager of the club. Though I do almost think they are trying too hard at this point. They need to let things happen whatever way they unfold. It just seems they want to give him the job only in the right situation and that may never happen.

Going to get managerial experience elsewhere would be great but that's all it needs to be viewed as, experience, whether he does well or not shouldn't be part of our thinking when deciding whether we want him as our manager. Struggling at a Sunderland doesn't mean he'd struggle at the top, two different situations. Different expectations, different quality in players. Doesn't mean that if he does well at a mid table club that he'd do well at the top either... Moyes.

The only way we'll find out is to give him the job and give him time. Question is; are the club willing to give time and support anymore or do they want everything right away like other big clubs. This appointment suggests the latter but could change for next appointment.

@JSNFRMN_MUFC: The question is not whether the cub is willing to give time to a giggs. The real question is if the fans are willing to stick with a manager if he does not look like bringing success married with a good style of play. As has happened with the last two occasions it's the fans who have turned on the manager and the club have followed the fans there. Not for a moment suggesting that moyes was the right man to take us forward but lvg could have done it given time.

Van Gaal was a short term appointment, if he was a young manager on a long term contract, maybe there would have been reason to give him more time like Fergie was when he won the FA Cup.

If the club are sacking managers because of fan opinion then that just shows that they have no clue. I'm sure they make their own decisions!

@JSNFRMN_MUFC: The question is not whether the cub is willing to give time to a giggs. The real question is if the fans are willing to stick with a manager if he does not look like bringing success married with a good style of play. As has happened with the last two occasions it's the fans who have turned on the manager and the club have followed the fans there. Not for a moment suggesting that moyes was the right man to take us forward but lvg could have done it given time.

Sorry bud but what makes you think if LVG was given time he'd take us forward?! In the time he was with us he took us backwards. Even last season we scraped 4th with barely more points than Moyes... Plus he spent a load of money and the football was awful pretty much the whole time.

I thought when they appointed LVG that he was the right choice... Within 3 months I'd changed my mind and I've been proven to be correct.

He never truly grasped the size of the club and never embraced our philosophy. If you then don't deliver results you've got nothing to argue your case.

The fans turning on van gaal also contributed to his sacking. Not saying it was the only factor which led to him being removed. But it was a very big factor. Yeah he was a short term appointment as is the case with most managerial appointments nowadays. Three years is the norm.

Sorry bud but what makes you think if LVG was given time he'd take us forward?! In the time he was with us he took us backwards. Even last season we scraped 4th with barely more points than Moyes... Plus he spent a load of money and the football was awful pretty much the whole time.

I thought when they appointed LVG that he was the right choice... Within 3 months I'd changed my mind and I've been proven to be correct.

He never truly grasped the size of the club and never embraced our philosophy. If you then don't deliver results you've got nothing to argue your case.

Listen rich I don't want to get into an argument over whether lvg was the right choice or not or whether he would have taken us forward. This has been done to death over the last half season. My point was that it's not the board who are trigger happy and that the fans turned on him which led to him being sacked and that whether fans are willing to give a manager time if he is not delivering on the results as well as the aesthetic front.

The club can't do the patience/long term plan anymore, the club has become too big. Hundreds of millions fans to keep happy, investors they have to keep happy. No other club of this magnitude can do it. We gave Van Gaal and Moyes more time than any other top club would have.

Listen rich I don't want to get into an argument over whether lvg was the right choice or not or whether he would have taken us forward. This has been done to death over the last half season. My point was that it's not the board who are trigger happy and that the fans turned on him which led to him being sacked and that whether fans are willing to give a manager time if he is not delivering on the results as well as the aesthetic front.

I wasn't looking to get in to an argument about it just a conversation. It's a forum I thought that's what this place was for but OK point taken.

I think all United fans need to realise that in this day and age long term managers are a thing of the past. Money and success are the most important things to owners but success is only important to generate more money.

I wasn't looking to get in to an argument about it just a conversation. It's a forum I thought that's what this place was for but OK point taken.

I think all United fans need to realise that in this day and age long term managers are a thing of the past. Money and success are the most important things to owners but success is only important to generate more money.

I am all for a discussion. But my point was I don't want to get into whether lvg was a good manager or not. It was that if the fans have the patience to give a manager time.

The club can't do the patience/long term plan anymore, the club has become too big. Hundreds of millions fans to keep happy, investors they have to keep happy. No other club of this magnitude can do it. We gave Van Gaal and Moyes more time than any other top club would have.

That was exactly my point. The club will reflect the mood of the fans nowadays. After all, it is us fans that help pay the bills.

I know some might disagree but I think this is a great role for Giggs.

It's not often in life you have the chance to mould a job to be the way you want it to be. OK I know it's not exactly management but still it's a really good opportunity for him and shows a) the willingness of the club to keep him and b) that the club are desperate to continue to develop youth players.

Not sure how Jose will like this but hey if he's so desperate to manage the club then he's got to accept doing things differently to how he has before.

I know though that Giggs is desperate to get in to management so I personally think he'll go elsewhere with a view to coming back one day. I'm not sure I like the idea of us giving him guaranteed that he'll one day be the manager though.

I wonder how Giggs has felt over the past week or so and what's been on his mind! ;)

On the one hand I bet he's delighted that LVG has gone... On the other he must be wondering what his role will be and why the club overlooked him again.

Unless he gets management experience elsewhere it would be hard to see United appoint Giggs. He may feel that if his early management experience is unsuccessful it would ruin his chances of managing at United altogether but he will never weigh up alongside a Pochettino, Ancelotti, Simeone or whoever else will be linked with the job post Jose without it.

He's got to go and get high level experience in management. He may feel aggrieved that we overlooked him twice but a club of our size can't be taking chances. He needs to go and prove himself and then I'm sure the club would love to offer him the job. At the end of the day if it doesn't work out for him then so be it. Isn't it better to find out you aren't cut out for management at another club? Rather than getting sacked by the club you love and have the fans slightly turn on you?

I agree that Giggs needs to go elsewhere and cut his management teeth. I don't think he will ever get the job here while he just hangs around as assistant or part of the coaching staff. I thought the Villa job may have been an ideal place for him to start. That would be a massive job in terms of rebuilding the club.

Not entirely sure what other jobs are going to be honest. Can't remember if any Championship jobs are going. Heard that Bruce may leave Hull, so maybe that could be something, but it's a risk appointing a man with no real experience when attempting to compete in the top flight. It'll be an interesting few weeks to see what happens with Giggs.

Favourite for the Bolton job. Not sure Bolton is the right job for him, they seem to be under a lot of financial pressure. I do think it'd be best for him to start in League 1 though with a well run club that he can build up rather than start in the Prem. If he wants to go on to become United manager, he can't rush it, he needs to make smart decisions, pick the right team to manage and don't just pick the first team that come along. I think Solskjaer made a mistake in going for Cardiff, he'd passed on a couple of Prem clubs before that but probably couldn't wait any longer and went for it.

Yeah he wants to pick his first job carefully and not rush in to the first one available to him. He wants to go to a team who really have solid foundations and a patient owner who will give him time and a bit of money to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back