Gareth Southgate at England 2020/21

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
England 3 Wales 0 last night both sides heavily rotated and were missing key player due to injury and lets say other reasons.

Didn't realise that there's actually 3 fixtures rather than the usual 2 in this round just what the doctor will have ordered.

Good to see the like of Calvert-Lewin, Ings, Grealish and Pope get rewarded for good club form with starts and all of them did well on the night for England. Have to say the more I see Calvert-Lewin the more I think that lad could go on to become a top striker seems to have all the tools you need and keeps getting better.

England move on to the nations league now still not sure if the 3 covidiots will be allowed to join up with the squad but the game vs Belgium will be much harder.

1-1 vs Belgium at half time both penalties.

Lukaku is pulling our defence to pieces.

3-4-3 playing a right footed left wing back in Trippier isn’t easy and 2 similar midfielders not much invention when we have the ball.

Good win for England against a top side probably a bit lucky soft pen and a massive deflected goal but Belgium weren't great.

Both sides missing a few key players

Few changes tonight sticks with 3-4-3

Pickford

Walker Coady Maguire

James Rice Phillips Maitland-Niles

Rashford Kane Mount

Does anyone get excited about England games? I used to be but now it’s like meh, could take or leave them.

Looked a bit unlucky with second yellow but he’s lunged in after a bad touch so given the ref a choice to make.

As for the games not really arsed seems like we never have the full team out and with no fans just feels like a massive waste of time

0-1 Eriksen penalty

Penalty was harsh I thought

Don’t see how Ole can start him at the weekend he needs to be dropped get your head right and come back in when you’re ready.

Right now he’s making to many costly errors if this game had VAR he could have got a straight red for the first tackle.

Normally you’d say bugger off to a beach somewhere quiet for a week but that’s not exactly an option for him right now.

I agree, needs dropping. He's getting slated all over the place

You’ve got to wonder if his head still isn’t right after the incident in Greece. He just looks so out of sorts and a walking disaster. Sad to see because he is a very good defender usually.

He’s making one of the biggest mistakes top players can make when you make 1 mistake you need to resist the urge to make a rash decision to make up for it.

He’s turning a small problem into a big one by following a bad decision with a stupid one.

Don't know if anyone is watching but the second yellow was never a card

But Tuanzebe is back. Jones and Rojo are fit so maybe it is worth giving him a rest and we're back to 2018 with Bailly and Jones in the middle.

However it's not really the United was to throw a player under the bus on the back of an international performance.

Don't know if anyone is watching but the second yellow was never a card

I thought he was a little unlucky he gets the ball first but nails him on the follow through showing studs if he hadn't hit him with studs showing he probably gets away with it.

Overall though the ref was quite poor last night think he gave them a soft pen then didn't give us a similar incident on Coady and he allowed them to get away with slowing the game down a lot with niggly fouls.

That said England didn't deserve the win but they did well with 10 men and probably couldn't have been to many complaints had they snatched an equaliser.

no I don't, I enjoy the tournaments. Don't pay any attention at all to the other matches.

I used to get so hyped for World Cups and Euros but I've been though the mill so many times with England. I remember watching my first WC in 78, then after seeing the pretty good 90's teams not achieve, and the Golden generation flop I have no enthusiasm watching this new England play the likes of Lichtenstein with 3 subs coming on who's faces I dont even know who they are. I find England these days have no personalities, its such a bland bunch

I quite like England over the last few years it's not being dominated by the same old faces failing over and over again he's kept a core of that 2018 side around but plenty of players have lost their spots after dips in club form.

Plenty of exciting young players as well and we've got a good shot in the Euro next summer there's a few weak points to address.

Think my main issue with international football at the moment is it does feel like there's an extra level of pointless to it at the moment with everything going on in the world it does feel a bit like do we really need this.

England have no chance of ever winning a Euro or WC. They just haven't got the right mentality. We blew the easiest chance we've ever had in 2018 and that was inevitable as well.

England have no chance of ever winning a Euro or WC. They just haven't got the right mentality. We blew the easiest chance we've ever had in 2018 and that was inevitable as well.

In my lifetime I think we blew 2 great chances 1996 and 2004.

1996 we were much the better side in that semi final vs Germany but lost on penalties and I think we'd have easily beaten the Czech's in the final.

2004 was the "golden generation" in their prime plus the whirlwind of Rooney if he doesn't break his foot I'm convinced we get past Portugal and win that tournament. That generation of players never played anywhere near that level again and Rooney carried the lot of them for a decade into their eventual retirements.

2018 as many point out was a decent team that had a nice run but it wasn't a great side capable of winning a world cup had we got past Croatia we'd have had our pants pulled down by France.

1990 WC semi final was the real bruiser. Awesome game, knocked out on pens. Nothing between the 2 sides.

I look back on that and the 1996 semi and we will never reach that level again. We competed with the best and narrowly lost out. I never looked at any team and thought they would beat us, unlike now.

I don't think Southgate is good enough to win a tournament, let alone the players

Nations league game vs Iceland in doubt due to Covid.

Iceland due to play in Denmark next weekend UK government may not give them sporting exemption due to concerns over a new strain of Covid.

Still think it’s ridiculous that England are playing 3 games in 2 weeks given the already hectic club schedule.

Jude Bellingham called up to senior squad from under 21's at 17 years old after Alexander-Arnold and Ward-Prowse withdrew with injury.

Game vs Iceland due to be played at Wembley may now be played at a neutral venue because UEFA will not allow it to be postponed.

Potential locations being discussed are Albania and Germany.

Can only assume that the friendly game tomorrow will be a chance for the reserves to get a game so could be another big chance for players to stake claims on starting spots.

We saw in the last round of games that Coady and Grealish really put some pressure on the regular starters.

He seems to be sticking with this 3-4-3 formation I can see the logic gives us an extra body in defence where we are weak at centre back but think it restricts us a bit going forward and puts big pressure on the 2 in midfield against better sides we will struggle to get the ball.

I do think England should be pushing more for a 4-3-3 system think we need that body in midfield more than defence but centre back is such a problem spot for us. Stones has just disappeared, Maguire's form is hit and miss, Coady not really testing in a 2, Gomez I don't think looks particularly amazing, same with Mings and I've never really like Dier as a centre back. There's a lot of options but not really anyone you look at and think he's absolutely nailed on to start every time.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back