Gabriel Obertan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholesy18

Having read a few things on here I was just wandering about everyone's opinion of Obertan. I think he did very well last year with very limited games. I think he was a very positive influence when he came on away to Chelsea and was very good in Europe, his assist for Owens 2nd against Wolfsburg was world class. I believe he has the makings of a fantastic winger, pace, power, ball control, aggression, crossing. He has all that, although I remain unimpressed with his shooting, which hopefully will improve.

[youtube]AYxJoGUhZ-s[/youtube]

Re: Obertan

I like Obertan, he's got a lot of flair, pace and skill. Reminds me of Ronaldo when we first got him. I think his development as a footballer was hampered with his spine injury but his development is back on track now. He scored a brilliant goal against Liverpool's reserves towards the end of last season and another the other night, he's expressed that he sees himself as a striker, could be a bit like Ronaldo where he can play on the wing and upfront.

That video clip is the one good moment he had all season, the rest of the time he did a lot of running and not much else. I know he was injured, but I wanna see some consistency from him. I am not yet convinced.This season he has looked good in pre-season so far and once he has match sharpness and confidence he could solve our lack of Attacking midfielders.His confidence on the ball has been pretty good so far on the tour.Can become a star for us,I feel.I think we all need to be a little bet patient with Obertan and not be so quick to write him off.

Myself,Im encouraged by the good things he's shown rather than disheartened by the not so good.

Obertan will come good this season, not that he got many chances last season to come good anyway. I liked David Bellion, wasn't good enough for us though, he didn't get many chances either though, he had bad loan spells, playing at Bordeaux now and doing well.

Obertan has a long way to go, his final Ball needs to improve significantly...and i think if he continues to do well he might have a shot at being called up by Blanc, since i don't think the French have many other Wingers left.

I'm pretty sure that with Tosic gone, Obertan will be the second choice Left winger behind Nani, Valencia would be the AMR with Park as his cover.
Obertan's versatility is also good, since his preferred foot is right he can do great done the right wing too.

Him and Nani interchanging positions during games would be good too, only thing missing when Valencia plays..

Obertan has impressed me on this tour, always looked a threat, still a lot of work left for him to do though to become a week in week out United player in my opinion.

i think he's the kind f player who improves the more he plays regularly...his performances on the tour have been constantly improving, so maybe all he needs is a steady run of games?
unlucky that he got injured, but its good that its only a 2 week lay-off, might even be back earlier than that!

won't be surprised to see him recover earlier than expected...most of the times, the expected period is ususally the worst case scenario, so who knows he might make the bench against Chelski

I'd give him extra time to recover and get some fitness back as long as Valencia is fit.

I actually wrote an article on the back of some of his recent quotes. I think he's going to be a great player for us and now that he's injury free (the serious back problem, not the current one) and has settled into the club, he'll have a much better season. He needs to work on his final ball, which he admits to working on. I also see him as becoming a central midfielder one day too. He's very two footed.

Gabriel Obertan was given limited opportunities last season but when he did play, he showed glimpses of brilliant. I, along with most United supporters felt that he had all the ingredients to be a fantastic winger (many think he’ll make a great central midfielder also) but his decision making was a bit iffy and his final ball was poor. I’m glad to say he agrees with us and he’s on it.

He definitely made a positive impact when he came off the bench on Wednesday. He did look stronger on the ball, maybe he has been working hard in the gym.
I would like to see more of him in the first team, give him a chance to show what he can do. Or can see him going out on loan and going the same path as Tosic.

Expect him to start on Tuesday. Surprised he didn't start today, doesn't bode well for him if we're playing Evra on the left, complete lack of confidence in him from SAF.

Anyone else think that maybe he'd be better playing as a 2nd striker?

Brilliant performance from him anyway. With Nani out I expect he'll play on Saturday and maybe even next Wednesday.

I think our left wing is cursed. Nani is always shit there but good on the right, Park was quite sloppy at times, the way he lost the ball in the build up for our first goal is just so typical, and Obertan was struggling till he was moved right, and then Nani got injured on the left.Obertan started shaky but thats understandable and was very good in the second half. Awesome goal, good touch and finish, and his driving run was the catalyst for the first goal. I like the signs of him and Bebe

It's not cursed, we just don't have a left winger, and we've got about 5 right wingers, 4 of which can play on the left a bit.

But can Nani play as well on the left as he does on the right? Probably not

That's why I said "We don't have a left winger" ... apart from Giggs.

we have 4 right footed wingers and only 1 left footed winger, so the likes of Park, Obertan etc are more comfortable down the right wing, Nani is out next best option down the Left, after him Evra would be a better choice for me, better than Park or Obertan as a left winger

^ Nah i would prefer Obertan to Evra....it doesnt hurt robben and ribery playing on their weaker side

Can't really compare the likes of Ribery and Robben to Gabby or Bebe, they have established themselves well down either wing. i'm not saying Obertan is bad but best for his progress to play him on his favored side

He had a quiet game everywhere really. I see him as playing more central in the future but we required someone with a bit more experience and patience to break them down. I would have liked to have seen him and Bebe switch wings when Obertan went out to the wing. Bebe's poor crossing today meant he might have been better off cutting inside and running at defenders, also Bebe's best cross on the right came with his left foot. Bebe's crossing has been good in previous games though, not sure what was up with him today, perhaps a bit overawed or maybe not ready to come on when he did. It was odd.

Obertan does best when he gets space to run at players, the reason pasrk did well in the middle was he playing deeper when he moved central, giving him space to run at, Obertan was too up field, to get much time on the ball when he was central.

At the moment he's best as a winger, in a few years when he has more experience I think he'll be better central.

could be, as you said mate, needs experience... we saw what a run of games can do for Nani, exactly what Obertan needs too

I just read this tread and have be thinking about the comparison to ronaldo. I think this gives us a really good insight into what obertan must improve on to become better.
We all know he is very quick and has good technique. If you study how he runs with the ball and compare it to ronaldo. the main difference is how far they kick the ball away from themselves while running. Ronaldo is able to keep the ball close and touches the ball often at full speed. When obertan is at full speed he kick the ball far away from himself and therefore loses the ball more often. If he could improve on this his attacking play would improve alot..

Good point Dalegute. I think Obertan will go through a big improvement stage over the next 2 years.

From his cameo vs Aston Villa and his display v Wolves,Bursaspor,I think Obertan should be played a lot more in a free role behind the striker.He is not so effective on the wing as even though he can dribble past player,his crossing is not so great.

The only thing with the free role behind the striker is that there is more players who can take the ball from him. As i said earlier, if he can improve and keep the ball closer while running. He would be much better in that free role. For now he needs the space on the wing to take on full-backs...

From his cameo vs Aston Villa and his display v Wolves,Bursaspor,I think Obertan should be played a lot more in a free role behind the striker.He is not so effective on the wing as even though he can dribble past player,his crossing is not so great.

Have to disagree, he seems to struggle when he's being marked tightly, he needs space to be at his best, him cutting in from the wings is his best position for me, like he did towards the end of the Villa game..

At the moment he is but I see him as playing more centrally in the future.

Obertan doesn't like staying out wide, he wants to be in the middle of the action, i was noticing that in the last 10 mins of the game, Nani was staying out wide to recieve the ball, but Obertan was always more inwards, but he showed his class when he got Alcarez that yellow, 1v1 he can beat his man easily.

When central he seems to be a bit lazy to get into the box, he does a lot of work and gets the ball wide for Evra to cross but he doesn't make a run inwards, he just lazily walks at the edge of the box, an extra body in the box can make a lot of difference

He was poor today but it would be hard for him to come in to today and perform at his very best. A loan could be good for him if we bring Cleverley back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back