Fred | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great performance and a goal to boot. Great appetite for the game today and must have been close for MOTM.

That might've been his best ever sequence in a red shirt. Hopefully it'll add a few of Her Majesty's pound sterling to his sell on value.

I think a goal covered up a lot of the usual problems with Fred especially in the first hour but after the goal he was very good seemed to give him an extra buzz and he found another gear.

Seems a popular lad in the squad all the players seemed to have a joke about him being in the box to score that goal.

His passing just isn't good enough to be a man utd centre mid but happy he got his goal yesterday

Man Utd 2 Liverpool 4

Can't believe no one's been on this thread after last night.

Absolute horror show from Fred now last night was a real low point he is not this bad in every game but he needs to be playing a lot less next season if we want to really challenge for a title.

No issue with him being in the squad you need depth but we can't have this guy playing 50 games next season.

Man Utd 2 Liverpool 4

Can't believe no one's been on this thread after last night.

Absolute horror show from Fred now last night was a real low point he is not this bad in every game but he needs to be playing a lot less for a different club next season if we want to really challenge for a title.

No The issue with him being in the squad is he is shit. you need depth but we can't have this guy playing 50 games next season.
Many of our players are punching above their weight, Fred being one of them. As a team we are able to get performances where the sum is greater than the parts, but even so, we rode our luck this season. The perennial question arises: will the board invest to make us champions again, or will we scrimp and save and bargain hunt and hope for the clubs around us in the table to be as shambolic as they were this season?

Fred isn't good enough. I agree with the squad depth idea but I feel that depth should be filled out with youth team players and the odd professional who gets dislodged from the starting berth (like DeGea has been).

Against Leicester I enjoyed seeing Elanga and Amad. I would have preferred to watch our starlets like Laird, Will Fish, Galbraith, McCann get game time, and even Hugill and McNeil see some minutes, than to watch what we watched.

If the board is going to do their usual thing where they don't strengthen when we're in the CL spots, then we can't afford a 50m player on the bench. I'd rather sell the likes of Fred/Martial/Bailly and reinvest that money toward a truly world class player that can fill one of our many holes. Look at the difference since Bruno arrived. One world class player in an area of need turned our entire season around. Get as much as you can for the surplus/useless players, fill their spots on the bench with the kids and try to get Sancho and a beast of a DM.

Who is buying Fred though?

It’s easy to say sell these players but it’s unlikely Fred wants to leave and if Utd were willing to sell not going to be a long line of clubs queuing up to take him.

Just been called up to the Brazil squad... they must be desperate.

Wasn't Fred a Jose buy? Maybe Roma is interested in him, and to be fair, I think Fred would do better in Italy than in England.

I think Cruella is onto something though: we should be bringing in world-class players each window, even if it's "only" a Bruno. The ones that don't make it, didn't make it, and should be moved on.

The past few windows we average around 150 million pounds spent. That is probably by design, not accident, so we can probably peg this next window's outlays at around the same amount. Fred, VDB, Lingard, Matic, Mata, James, Lindelof, Bailly, Telles, and I'll throw McTominay on the list even though I like him to make it an even 10 players - are all squad players, not good enough, or should be sold at this point. It's going to be a buyer's market, no doubt.

There won't be many buyers but even if we're only get 10 million per, that would buy us a world class Sancho (everyone seems to want him, I use him as only an example). Selling those players would leave us even more threadbare but it's a vicious circle we have to end at some point.

Fred was signed by Jose in his final summer window by all accounts we beat City to his signature by agreeing to pay his release clause but he never really played much under Jose.

He’d just recovered from an injury when he signed so missed most of the pre season never looked fit to be fair that hasn’t been an issue since Ole took over he just looks like a pretty limited player.

Thing is we paid such a high fee for him e will probably get a new contract soon and hang around for a few more years. We just can’t be having him as a starter.

Wasn't Fred a Jose buy? Maybe Roma is interested in him, and to be fair, I think Fred would do better in Italy than in England.

I think Cruella is onto something though: we should be bringing in world-class players each window, even if it's "only" a Bruno. The ones that don't make it, didn't make it, and should be moved on.

The past few windows we average around 150 million pounds spent. That is probably by design, not accident, so we can probably peg this next window's outlays at around the same amount. Fred, VDB, Lingard, Matic, Mata, James, Lindelof, Bailly, Telles, and I'll throw McTominay on the list even though I like him to make it an even 10 players - are all squad players, not good enough, or should be sold at this point. It's going to be a buyer's market, no doubt.

There won't be many buyers but even if we're only get 10 million per, that would buy us a world class Sancho (everyone seems to want him, I use him as only an example). Selling those players would leave us even more threadbare but it's a vicious circle we have to end at some point.
Surely your not suggesting we keep Martial & Phil Jones?

Fred: 120k/week
VdB: 120k/week
Lingard: 75k/week
Matic: 120k/week
Mata: 160k/week
James: 45k/week
Lindelof: 120k/week
Bailly: 80k/week
Telles: 93.077k/week (random)
McTominay: 20k/week

Whatever you get for fees, you're freeing up 953m/week or 49.5m per season in salary. Add Martial and Jones to the list and those figures jump to 1.278m/week and 66.5m/season. Realistically that's not happening in one window, but fees for half of them, and 500k/week gets you a world class player.

Yeah, like you said, we're threadbare if injuries happen, but the drop in class from say, Ndidi (random name plucked out of the air) to Fred isn't that much less than Ndidi to a kid, and certainly doesn't justify keeping all that on the wage bill.

We also know what we're getting with McFred and that glass ceiling might as well be made from adamantium. With 2 world class additions we could win the league if all goes well (Scousers/Leicester etc.) and we remain injury free. With that current lot, there's no chance.

Having watched Brichronologically v Hammers
2 names being touted in the DM position, Rice & Bissouma. Neither did much to whet the appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back