Frank Lampard at Chelsea 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

Chelsea are so lucky sometimes they've actually managed to secure compensation for a manager that none of their fans liked in Sarri.

Now Lampard has a tough decision to make this might be the only time this job is available for him he did great work at Derby getting to a playoff final with a young team but a lot of that was down to loan players who probably won't be back next season so likelihood is next season will be much tougher.

Chelsea however have just lost their manager, have also lost their best player, have an owner who's become more distant and apparently is looking to sell the club, fans who now expect success, have a lot of ageing players who run the dressing room and are probably rather resistant to change.

The positive is they have about 100 players on the books and some incredible young talent assuming he brings Jody Morris with him he's got someone who's worked with a lot of these kids in the academy as well as his assistant could they transition the old guard out and bring through the next generation. Expectations from fans will be lower next season because of the off field problems, the owner absolutely loves him, the new sporting director is his mate Petr Cech and he's also Frank Lampard they basically worship the ground the man walks on.

I think for Lampard if the chance is there it is 100% worth the gamble.

If Lampard gets offered the job he has to take it. Couldn’t possibly turn down this chance. What if he has a shocking season next year and the opportunity is never there again.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like this is about to be done.

A risk no doubt by Chelsea but sure he will be given time but after losing Hazard and having this transfer ban it’s a tough gig. They will probably have to dig into their loanees but they have a lot of them to choose from!

Think it's important that they're getting Jody Morris back as well if they're putting the kids in as he worked with a lot of these great young Chelsea players in the academy before joining Lampard at Derby.

Not exactly the easiest job to go into they've at least got Pulisic coming in to replace Hazard they really need him to hit the ground running as there's big pressure on him.

They're basically going into the season with Giroud & Abraham as the strikers.

Can see goals being a big problem for them next season as they don't really have free scoring wide forwards and midfielders on the books. The defence looks solid enough and no doubt with Kante back in his traditional position they'll be better protected than they were by Jorgino.

I'm not seeing the papers writing things about Lampard being a sentimental hiring, the stick they keep beating Ole with. Why is Lampard seen as the real deal when Ole is not?

You're not wrong. On talksport they said they should give him a 4 or 5 year contract and genuinely give him that time. Not heard that about ole, more like out by xmas.

I'm not seeing the papers writing things about Lampard being a sentimental hiring, the stick they keep beating Ole with. Why is Lampard seen as the real deal when Ole is not?

I guess he has a bit more of a track record in England getting Derby to the playoff final but also he’s English which gets him a smoother ride in the press. It’s not fair but it is a factor.

Ole got an easy time when he was the interim things only really turned on him in the press when he got the permanent job and results went down the pan and the never ending nostalgia for the 90s started to grate on people.

If Lampard gets off to a rough start the knives will be out for him to.

He was given a huge budget for wages and loan fees at Derby got in some top talent and still couldn’t get them over the line.

I think Chelsea know a tough year is coming so they’ve put Lampard in as a peacemaker option with the fan.

People forget that Ole still accumulated more points than anyone in the league other than Liverpool and City after he joined. We were just so far off the pace when he came that it was almost mission impossible at the time. Having such a good start meant that when the slump came it just highlighted how badly we were playing.

I like the hiring of Lampard. It's fun seeing players I used to admire being on the other side of it and I think that he couldn't really turn this oppertunity down.

I like the appointment, young English manager.

I also prefer it to the same old managers doing the tour.

People forget that Ole still accumulated more points than anyone in the league other than Liverpool and City after he joined. We were just so far off the pace when he came that it was almost mission impossible at the time. Having such a good start meant that when the slump came it just highlighted how badly we were playing.

I like the hiring of Lampard. It's fun seeing players I used to admire being on the other side of it and I think that he couldn't really turn this oppertunity down.

O yeah it was 2 ridiculous extremes massive winning run following by massive losing run if it had just been a bit of a mixture of results he'd probably be judged more favourably. Still think it was stupid to make him the permanent manager when they did it should have waited until the end of the season even if it was in the bag there was no reason to change the plan.

For Lampard it's a no brainer when the chance is there you back yourself and take it you can't mess around and expect these opportunities to come again. There's talk that Drogba will be back as a coach and Cech is already in as the technical director so they might retain some of that winning culture that has existed within the club.

With all the issues he faces with the transfer ban, losing Hazard etc they'll do well to make top 4 next season but apart from the top 2 from last year everyone is looking a bit of a mess at the moment, Spurs seem to be the only steady ship out of the other 4.

I thought they signed Ole up early so the could make recruitment easier, turns out that hasn't worked out so good :p

I thought they signed Ole up early so the could make recruitment easier, turns out that hasn't worked out so good :p

They did it because they got swept up in the Ole's at the wheel hype and no doubt Ole probably put the squeeze on them to make it permanent and they probably accepted this new technical director wasn't coming so as a result they panicked again and appointed Ole.

At least Lampard has some good structure around him Chelsea is a club that is pretty well setup and has players who are used to change they didn't really build a squad for Sarri so there's maybe 1 or 2 players who might need to move on but it's not an overhaul job.

In terms of players that Sarri bought in I can’t see them needing to move any on. Kepa Jorginho and Pulisic were the only perm signings and I think Jorginho will be liked by Lampard. He’s a terrific player just not helping him by putting Kante out of position and I’m sure he could do his job further forward as he’s very comfortable with the ball in tight spaces.

He doesn’t have to be that far forward just in a 4-2-3-1 and let Kante do his thing instead of playing him as an advanced midfielder.

He’s the sort of player that every manager would love except for the old school English manager.

Yeah I can't see Sarri taking Jorgino to Juventus and he'd probably be fine playing as the playmaker in a 2 man midfield with Kante not sure what his long range passing is like though it would make Chelsea very short range in terms of passing in midfield.

4-2-3-1 will probably be a good system for them.

I dunno on Jorgino I think a hyper possession manager like Guardiola would love him but not sure someone like Klopp would but I think the issue for Jorgino was the two players ahead of him in that 3 weren't really suited to Sarri.

Still think it was stupid to make him the permanent manager when they did it should have waited until the end of the season even if it was in the bag there was no reason to change the plan.
Yep. I see no reason why they rushed the appointment. I like Ole, I liked what he was saying, and he had that amazing run of wins, but the smart move was to wait until the end of the season. Ole could turn out to be exactly what the club needs, who knows, but there was no fecking reason to appoint him early, Ole wasn't going anywhere.

Sky Sports reporting that Lampard will be named managed on Thursday. Fascinating appointment really, it could be a stroke of genius or a bit of a boo boo.

could be a result our first game is against them

I don’t know. If anything I expect him to start well and it’ll be important to see how he responds to a setback.

I think he'll do well, I just wonder if the season will come a bit too quickly for him.

1-1 draw with Leicester. Didn’t watch the game had the cricket on. But from what people are saying they were lucky to escape with a draw. 5 points dropped. Things could get nasty quickly if a few more games without a win. Norwich away and Sheffield Utd at home. They really could do with 6 points in their next two before the break.

Was flicking over from the cricket now and again and they were so lucky to get away with a point. Leicester got in so many times towards the end and should have punished them.

Without Hazard they look distinctly average, he has carried them for sure. The defence looks wobbly, beyond Kante the midfield looks short of quality and up front I wouldn’t class Giroud or Abraham as first choices, so yeah big trouble for them I feel.

Looking very average so far but new centre back pairing and losing Hazard will be tough on any managers.

Started well but faded massively sounds similar to last week but Leicester didn’t punish them.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-2 Sheffield United - 31st August 2019

Played 4
Won 1
Drawn 2
Lost 1
Points 5
Goals For 6
Goals Against 9

I think ourselves and Chelsea are going to have a very similar season - there are gonna be some good days but there will also be some rotten ones!

Chelsea need to get Rudiger back I think he’ll make a big difference to their defence which has been leaky.

I agree it’ll be an up and down season for them with a few young players having to get used to the league but they’ve got Abraham scoring which is important and Mount looks comfortable but I think goals will be a problem that team isn’t blessed with goal scorers.

Premier League: Southampton 1-4 Chelsea - 6th October 2019

Played 8
Won 4
Drawn 2
Lost 2
Points 14
Goals For 18
Goals Against 14

See there's a young manager who's having an impact and who's team are playing good football. We see none of that with Ole.

See there's a young manager who's having an impact and who's team are playing good football. We see none of that with Ole.

Ole’s initial results and impact were much greater than Lampards. Give it time.

You don’t think there’s a feel good factor at Chelsea?

@IDFD is right let’s give it a bit more time before jumping to conclusions but the Chelsea job in some ways was easier than Utd.

Yes they lost Hazard but they have been able to bring back young players who all had great seasons on loan and are brimming with confidence the squad he had to select from was massive.

They are also a club that are constantly in flux and change it doesn’t really seem to effect them people come and go that’s just the way it is.

Premier League: Burnley 2-4 Chelsea - 26th October 2019

Played 10
Won 6
Drawn 2
Lost 2
Points 20
Goals For 23
Goals Against 16

Premier League: Watford 1-2 Chelsea - 2nd November 2019

Played 11
Won 7
Drawn 2