Football clubs, business and the media and public

Red Warrior

So i just had a thought, when a player signs for a club we know all the details such as salary and length of contract, add ons, extensions and so on. I don't discuss my salary with anyone at work so why is all this so public. Should a footballer have to have the world know about his money situation?

Then on the other side of it, you get all the transfer madness until a player signs but the details of the chase are never revealed, eg Sancho will not come out and say Utd agreed this with me on that date and the discussions took x days and this happened. It's all cloak and dagger, it's complete contrast to the wages situation. I'd love to know what really happened on a big transfer and have the details made public.

I dont know how you managed to make that post and not mention the word "Agent".

We also don't know any of these things as facts especially since the club stopped being a plc every transfer fee is undisclosed and no contracts are made public.

Figures are reported but these can vary widely as basically it's whatever the agent, buyer or seller tells you and most of the time tabloids will report the highest figure for shock value. For example some will include all bonus figures in a headline whereas others will only include the initial fee and in wages some countries report the wages as gross figures some do it as net figures.

I do think football would be a better place if everyone know the ins and outs of deals so what you paid for a player, what the contract is worth and how much the agents received but football doesn't have to make this information public so it doesn't and since it's deals between private parties the public has no right to that information.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back