Fabinho

Red Warrior

I read a report that PSG are ahead of us to sign Fabinho and I heard an interview with the player saying he would like to play there.

Does anyone know what PSG's FFP situation is as they are due to sign Mbappe in the summer for some ridiculous amount. would PSg be allowed to sign Fabinho

@jsp ?

They've already been fined. Already had they're CL squad reduced to 21. So there isn't a lot of lives left for them in terms of FFP. But I don't know if UEFA will have the bottle to kick them out of the champions league which would be the ultimate ban for them. To starve them for winning a competition they clear want. But FFP is a joke and PSG will find a way around it.

In terms of Fabinho is he all that? I must admit I thought he was. But after watching Bakayoko in the prem I'm not sure. And Baka looked brilliant last season at Monoco.

The current situation as I understand it is that PSG's spending from last summer is still under review by UEFA as all clubs have submitted their applications for licenses for next season which will include their FFP submission which I think will include any transfer spending from summer 2017 & January 18 transfer windows. PSG have alread been told that their submission will be reviewed in depth because of the spending last summer mainly the Neymar deal, this is why they were keen to move a few guys in January although I think the only one that happened was Moura who joined Spurs. Any sales from this summers window won't help their current FFP application as it's to late.

The Mbappe money will be a factor in their FFP application for the 2019/20 season as would any spending/selling this summmer.

Basically historically PSG have had fines and squad restrictions as max says so the only real option left to UEFA if they have breached the spending rules is a ban for next season but with the power Qatar now have over football, pretty sure Bein Sports pay huge money for CL TV contracts it'll be interesting to see if PSG get that punishment. The suspension was only ever supposed to be the "Nuclear" option but PSG have pushed the rules further than anyone else especially when you consider both them and City have benefitted from lets say questionable sponsorship deals at highly inflated prices which may not break FFP rules but are certainly against the spirit of them.

The issue is PSG have agreed to the regulations it's part of the rules to enter he competition which is an invite only competition so if you break the rules you have to accept the penalty.

I guess buying players from the likes of France and maybe Italy are always risky as they play very differently to the EPL.

That said I'd still like to see him in a Utd shirt.

I can't say I've watched enough of him to really hold an opinion but Mendy/Silva took to PL like a duck to water at City whereas Bakayoko has struggled at Chelsea since coming from Monaco.

Bakayoko was a bit unlucky in that he arrived injured and has struggled to settle into a team that hasn't really clicked all season, Mendy just slotted in perfectly until his injury and Silva was eased in gradually in the first 1/2 of the season.

@Red Warrior do you see him as a potential midfield or right back option?

The reports were that he wanted to go last summer but was basically told by Monaco he had to stay 1 more year because he'd signed a new deal whereas Bakayoko hadn't so they needed to cash in now. Only seen him play a few times and he looked alright but that was last season in that bonkers good Monaco side.

I'd see him as Matic's straight replacement. Although he can do a job at right back which is always handy too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Translation: Manchester United is still in the Fabinho folder. Discussions with the entourage but still no concrete offer to the AS Monaco.

Quickly turning into the new Gaitan this fella

Sneijder > Gaitan

Neither got to the levels Garay did.

We were linked with him every window for years despite him moving clubs twice.

I can only assume he’s the backup plan in case the Fred deal falls through.

I wanted this guy at Utd. We're still faffing around waiting to see if Fellaini will sign or not. Just get on and sign players....

Quite a few journalists backing it up so sounds like this one is on.

Well that story moved quickly hadn't even heard him linked with a move to Anfield.

Have to say reinforcing your midfield with Fabinho & Kieta for about 80m on paper looks like fantastic business for Liverpool.

Best kept secret in football surely. Not one mention of a link to Liverpool. That's how you do business.

Well it just shows why you don't pay any attention to speculation because you don't know the reason why messages have been put out.

You wonder if we'll ever find out how interested Utd were in Fabinho.

Tell you what, they sign that Fekir or whatever as well they could be a serious force next year, that would be some 6 head of the back four!

Can't believe how quickly that moved, good player Fabinho!

Fred should hopefully be done this week with Brazil in England for a friendly.

Oh wow yeah that did happen fast. That's a real shame too because he's a good player and now I dislike him

Fekir would be a strange one as they don't really play a system that suits him as he's a number 10/second striker but if Klopp can get him back into the midfield 3 attacking/creating from deep like Coutinho he could be lethal with that front 3 ahea of him as his passive is fantastic.

Yeah he might just let him roam with them pair behind him, jesus could be lethal that I hate to say it, that Keita looks very suited to England and can see him being horrible to play against as he will run all day long.

Will be interesting to see who else Jose goes after, Matic & Pogba didn't pull up to many trees last year.

Be intersting to see who Liverpool let go now.

Can is obviously off on a free but that still leaves Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wijnaldum, Lallana add to that Keita & Fabinho doesn't leave much room. They're really starting to flash the cash over at Anfield now and the worry is they seem to be spending it with a bit of a plan rather than just being scatter gun on big names most of the time the signings are paying off and improving them.

@Edgy1968 Matic was an absolute trooper last season for us he had a bit of a lull in the middle of the season but he got almost no rest or pre season and Pogba for all his faults was only behind De Bruyne & Silva for assists from centre mid last season considering he missed at least a 1/3 of the season that's not bad.

Sort of what I said above whoever Utd get this summer they have to settle straight in there's no time to wait now, the days of getting a season to get your feet under the table are gone you need to hit the ground running.

I thought Matic for every good game he had, had 2/3 very poor ones, yeah he was superb in certain games but for large parts of the season his passing was awful and lacked urgency, whether that was down to no rest, no pre season etc., fair enough but I watched a hell of a lot of games where he wasn't the best, to say the least.

The stats paper over the cracks re Pogba season, 80% of those came in the first two months when he was involved in just about every goal we scored, for the past 8/9 months since he came back, he has gone missing pretty much most of the time in big games (bar City away), been very poor in so many and just does not look bothered.

Expecting a lot more consistency from them both next season, if there as inconsistent this year as they were last, we won't be anywhere near the title again.

1 good game in every 3/4 won't win you the league, we can all take joy in stats in Google but they paper the cracks for me.

The scousers are building an impressive team there with the potential to grow together and achieve something special, with Keita already in the bag then this I will grudgingly say I am impressed. We need to focus on signings that complete us; both fullbacks, a CM and a right sided attacker because even though our attack leaves a lot to be desired we have a damn good side which just needs balancing.

Matic shouldn't be shouldering the responsibility he had next season I personally think there are games where he isn't required as defensively he's not actually as great as people make out he doesn't actually regain possession a lot but he kind of controls the midfield because he rarely gives it away but it's all done quite slowly he's one who often takes 3 touches when only 2 are required.

Pogba came back from his injury looking back to his best but that red card vs Arsenal seemed to be the turning point for him he really hit a rut for about 6 weeks he was either injured or his confidence was rock bottom but there were a real bad run in there but I still think he had a decent enough finish to the season.

That isn't to say he can't do more and we shouldn't expect more but I often feel he's expected to be the one man team bit like Ozil everyone loves him when we win but he's first head on the chopping block when we lose.

I know I'm a bit of a Pogba apologist but a lot of the time I think he gets the stick because he's the easy target and while I think he can step it up another gear I think others need to take the burden off him and step up when he's having an of game and almost say don't worry I'll win this one our midfield became way to focused on Pogba last season. Hopefully some reinforcement in there will mean when he's having an off day someone else can take over responsibility front him.

I think we need to rotate Matic more and having Herrera and young Scot around will certainly aid that because as you say there are matches where he isn't necessary and we need more fire power upfront to put games to rest quickly and then maybe introduce him to steady the ship when we are ahead. Ironically these are the games where we inexplicably dropped a lot of points. In games again the bottom seven we need to play a 4-2-3-1 with Pogba sitting besides anyone of Matic/Herrera/McTominay/Fred and have Sanchez in the hole as a support striker with Martial/Rashford coming in on the left.

It's more 4-1-4-1 really with the way Pogba plays 1 guy protects the middle and the other 2 centre mids push up, 2 CB's need to be happy defending high and going one vs one with a striker and the full backs have to be starting in high and wide attacking positions to pin the opposition back and stretch them across the pitch.

Anyone think Fabinho has been signed to play right back?

I know we probably say this a lot... But I think this is a huge off season for the club. Jose has to get all of his transfer business right and he needs to do most of it quickly.

He needs to close the gap to City but just as much he needs to be wary of Liverpool. And watch for Arsenal to start improving now they've gotten rid of Wenger and will likely spend.

I would be surprised re playing him RB, think Arnold has absolutely nailed that position and they have Clyne as well, agree on the Pogba/Matic, hopefully less workload next year will result in them going up a gear.

I am interested to see what he does with Pereira as think he could be good as a link between midfield and attack in a midfield 3.

I think Arnold has been exposed by the better sides in big games Utd and Roma really went after him and got plenty of joy from it. He's only a kid but I do wonder if Fabinho might drop back in there at times as I don't see Klopp replacing Henderson who is club captain and does a good job for them.

My honest assessment is that he'd be happy to sell Periera this summer if it gets him money to spend elsewhere if he rated him he'd have made him stay this season rather than allowing him to go on loan. Doesn't sound like he did much at Valencia in the second half of the season either.

Very good signing for them. They’re recruiting well and they resemble a football team more than we do. I know we finished 2nd and they finished 4th but think they’re a fair bit ahead of us. On paper we’ve got some great players but Mourinho has yet to get them to click together and unless he does that no signing is going to improve us enough to get above City and maybe not even be enough to hold off Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs from pushing us out of the top 4.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back