FA Cup Semi Final: Man Utd vs Chelsea

We got our pants pulled down and our lunch money stolen.

Awful performance. Certainly looked like we were devoid of any energy or verve out there tonight. The change in shape just destroyed our rhythm we had going from our good run. I don’t think Chelsea were anything special but we were poor and mistakes cost us in the end. Never mind, onto more important games!

If De Gea goes there is no question for me - Henderson should be given a chance.
I wouldnt have a problem with that but i do feel he has similar qualities and problems as de gea. I feel he is a good shot stopper but does not particularly command his area and is prone to the odd howler, as is any keeper to be fair.

Just didn’t turn up think Ole got it wrong going to the back 3 but we probably would have been ok to half time if Bailly hadn’t suffered that injury.

Really running out of patience with De Gea his form has been off for to long now not sure why he was even playing in the first place Romero deserved that game.

Henderson has to come back next season he’s costing us way to many goals now he’s gone bring Henderson back and say to both of them there is no number 1 as soon as you mess up the other one is in.

didnt see any this one as I spent the day driving to North Wales, no bad thing by the sounds of it. I guess we need a game like this to remind us we still need a good transfer window.

I would argue it's preceded that
I think DeGea - like many players - has trouble getting his mental focus sometimes. It's not like he suddenly forgot how to play in goal, there's something in his game mentality that is lacking. I think he had a great friendship with that coach too, and when he left I think it really affected him, and then the dip occurred. For me that's QED.

didnt see any this one as I spent the day driving to North Wales, no bad thing by the sounds of it. I guess we need a game like this to remind us we still need a good transfer window.
It was really bad. I switched off at 3-0. We didn't have a midfield today. Bruno played like he just ran a marathon. Matic was slow, Williams made a costly error, our defenders napped, it was a bad day at the office. Worse, the players didn't even look like a team today but resembled a bunch of strangers. Ole made changes around 57th minute but it wasn't enough. We need a good transfer window because we have a bunch of players who are mid-table level.

I feel sorry for the players; Ole was the architect of this shambles.
Bit harsh. We comfortably beat Chelsea in the league with pretty much the same line up and formation. It just didn’t work out on the day because Chelsea executed their plans far better but it was still individual errors that cost us in the end.

Yeah sure Ole could have done things different but not every game is going to be rosy. We still don’t have an amazing squad so when we bring in our second choice players there is going to be a drop off in quality. Also our better players also had an off day.

I feel sorry for the players; Ole was the architect of this shambles.

I think De Gea, Maguire and the FA were the architects here. Why did we only get days compared to Chelsea's 4?

De Gea was woeful, really put us on the back foot.

I thought until Bailly went off, we were doing ok, considering the lack of rest time. Not sure Martial was the right sub.

Bit harsh. We comfortably beat Chelsea in the league with pretty much the same line up and formation. It just didn’t work out on the day because Chelsea executed their plans far better but it was still individual errors that cost us in the end.

Yeah sure Ole could have done things different but not every game is going to be rosy. We still don’t have an amazing squad so when we bring in our second choice players there is going to be a drop off in quality. Also our better players also had an off day.
Pros can't play this many games this close together, especially a style that needs high pressing and aggressive running. In my 30s I played on a men's 11v11 team on Tuesdays, an "over 30" 11v11 men's team on Thursdays, and a co-ed 7v7 team on Sundays. I could barely walk. I had to stretch just to get out of bed and ended up having to get physical therapy for compressed lower back. Outside of the games I was hobbling everywhere, limping, just a painful wreck.

Long story short: these guys are playing a helluva lot harder than I ever did, and the demands on their muscles and joints is crazy. Maguire probably wasn't the only one playing through pain. And as you said, even our better players had an off day because for our "style" to work it's got to be quick, and we were slow.

Plus individual calamities.

I think DeGea - like many players - has trouble getting his mental focus sometimes. It's not like he suddenly forgot how to play in goal, there's something in his game mentality that is lacking. I think he had a great friendship with that coach too, and when he left I think it really affected him, and then the dip occurred. For me that's QED.

The dip started before his coach left De Gea has been making these silly mistakes for 2 years now either his reactions have gone, he's changed something in his technique or his eye sight is going some of these shots there's no other way of explaining it. Some of those long shots it's like he looses sight of the ball as it's coming in he seems very vulnerable to shots from outside the box.

De Gea's greatness was his shot stopping it was a ridiculously high level now that this has dropped off to a pretty average level he's really struggling.

Mentally De Gea used to be great he'd make a mistake then shake it off now it seems to be sticking with him.

I mean on the first goal he shares that responsibility with Lindelöf who allowed the run across him way to easily but it was still a pretty weak shot straight at him, the second one if just a joke it's like he pulled his hands away 30 years ago you'd be suggesting he'd taken a bribe.

De Gea and that coach had a fall out, which is why the coach left and didn't sign a new deal.

the first two goals are definitley at De Gea.

The Chelsea keeper made a great save at one point, got down low, I thought at the time De Gea wouldn't have got near that, I think it's time we need to look beyond him.

We were absolutely awful from start to finish.

Daniel James is a completely out of his depth at this level and needs to be sold back to the Championship as that is clearly his standard. He's possibly the worst player we have at the minute, and that is saying something.

DDG. That's one embarrassing mistake too many for me. He should be dropped for the remaining 2 games and for the foreseeable future until he can sort his schoolboy errors out. No wonder our defense looks shaky, I'd have zero confidence in him behind me either. His distribution is appalling as well. What does DDG offer any more that Romero doesn't? There ISN'T any competition for him which I think this is why he is so away with the fairies! If every time he got dropped and Romero came in until he then made a clanger then maybe DDG might just step up, like Luke Shaw had to. I'm sure Ole will come out and back him again and this is exactly the issue.

Lindelof needs to learn what the words 'goal side' means. That's two games running he's been the wrong side of the forward and we have conceded.

Maguire - was he concussed as he certainly played like he was?

AWB - Is this the same guy that we say pre lock down? He has spiraled from bad to worse.

We have 2 games to go, 2 game to secure the European football we've all been craving, the European football that I'm pretty sure Sancho will sign for us if we get. I'm nervous as hell as we seem to have got progressively worse in 3 games. Southamptopn we were poor, Palace even poorer, and Chelsea just bloody abysmal! The end of the season now can't come quick enough.

Where did that scintillating, free flowing football go? To me it looks like we've been worked out. Press United and they will fall apart, we can't get it out our own third to the p;layers that matter at them minute.

I think actually that defeat could prove to be a good thing for United. It's never good to lose in a semi final of course but ultimately I think it did highlight many issues that were perhaps being masked by their undefeated run.

We were absolutely awful from start to finish.

Daniel James is a completely out of his depth at this level and needs to be sold back to the Championship as that is clearly his standard. He's possibly the worst player we have at the minute, and that is saying something.

DDG. That's one embarrassing mistake too many for me. He should be dropped for the remaining 2 games and for the foreseeable future until he can sort his schoolboy errors out. No wonder our defense looks shaky, I'd have zero confidence in him behind me either. His distribution is appalling as well. What does DDG offer any more that Romero doesn't? There ISN'T any competition for him which I think this is why he is so away with the fairies! If every time he got dropped and Romero came in until he then made a clanger then maybe DDG might just step up, like Luke Shaw had to. I'm sure Ole will come out and back him again and this is exactly the issue.

Lindelof needs to learn what the words 'goal side' means. That's two games running he's been the wrong side of the forward and we have conceded.

Maguire - was he concussed as he certainly played like he was?

AWB - Is this the same guy that we say pre lock down? He has spiraled from bad to worse.

We have 2 games to go, 2 game to secure the European football we've all been craving, the European football that I'm pretty sure Sancho will sign for us if we get. I'm nervous as hell as we seem to have got progressively worse in 3 games. Southamptopn we were poor, Palace even poorer, and Chelsea just bloody abysmal! The end of the season now can't come quick enough.

Where did that scintillating, free flowing football go? To me it looks like we've been worked out. Press United and they will fall apart, we can't get it out our own third to the p;layers that matter at them minute.
Press almost any team long enough and they fall apart. Barcelona might be the exception. Has Ole said why he didn't start Romero? It seemed an odd decision at the time, and after the fact it looks catastrophic. Both CBs were bad, maybe they just don't complement each other's style. I don't think Bailly is an upgrade on either one of them. Bailly is totally brainless. I'd rather have Lindelof in there because at least you know he's not going to do something insane and either get a red card or concede a silly penalty. Lindelof had help giving away that first goal, I think Maguire was way out of position and Lindelof was caught trying to cover for him and then got caught in the wrong place.

I agree with Rich, above, too, in that losing this semi is not that big of a deal - especially if the rest means we get 3rd place. The players look gassed. AWB and Shaw are asked to make 100 yard sprints all game long and the break knocked the sharpness out of them. I think fatigue plays two roles, one is the player is hesitant to gamble on a huge sprint and the second is they simply can't make the sprint at the end of the game.

Two matches to go. Hopefully the rested starters feel rejuvenated.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back