FA Cup: Man Utd vs Watford Sat 9th Jan 8pm KO

jsp

On to the next one for Ole and the boys after a dissapointing performance midweek vs City. Games are getting called off left right and centre so we're assuming this one even happens.

You would expect Utd and I'm guessing our opponents to rotate and use the squads with the heavy schedule the FA Cup is likely to take priority over the league for either side.

Watford are sitting in the playoff spots and have already changed managed this season which lets be honest is no real surprise with them but form looks mixed and they've lost a big player in Capoue. They have one of our own on loan in James Garner who I think is eligable to play in the game. Other former reds like Foster and Cleverley are still at the club as well.

For Utd Cavani will continue to serve his ban bit otherwise we are pretty free of injuries at the moment.

Predicted Starting XI

Henderson

Tuanzebe Bailly Maguire Telles

Matic Pogba

Mata VDB James

Greenwood

He surely has to give VDB a start in this one I think he'll also start Pogba who hasn't played every game recently and he'll probably play Maguire because he never misses a game. Right back is a tricky one if he goes for Williams or TFM in that spot I think he'll put Tuanzebe in at centre back to give him a game. He's taking up Lingard a bit recently so wouldn't be surprised if he started.

That team should still be good enough to get it done but it's always a gamble when you make lots of changes.

Pretty much agree with the team you’ve put there jsp. However would be inclined to give Maguire a little breather and play one of Lindelof/Bailly alongside Tuanzebe. Williams/TFM can come in at right back for me.

Could also be a good time to give Pellistri a little taste of the action.

I'd not be playing Pogba or Maguire.

Henderson

Williams Bailly Tuanzebe Telles

McTominay Donny

Pelestri Lingard James

Greenwood

If we get knocked out so be it.

I agree either of those are good, I think with IDFD, I'd put Mata in for a bit of experience.

I have a feeling he might be listening to all the "he needs to win something" chat and will go strong. Which would be a mistake for me.

He doesn't need to win anything this year. Next year is the year I expect to see some return.

Think we need to give some game time to the guys who are normally on the bench so I'd start Mata, James, VDB etc just to give them a bit of playing time keep them happy and for a bit of fitness.

I don't know how many subs you get in FA Cup games but regardless I'd like to see one or two of the U23 guys who are performing well on the bench so if we are comfortable in the game we can give them a reward. Pellestri would likely be one of them but I don't watch enough of the U23 to know who's really standing out.

If it was up to me the likes of AWB, Maguire, Bruno and Rashford wouldn't even be on the bench have the night off lads they've played nearly every minute recently so need the rest.

I wonder if we might see Lingard Ole has talked him up a bit recently with Europa League coming the second half of the season he might look to give players like Lingard some playing time in the hope that it drives up some interest.

Ole has confirmed Ighalo will be part of the match day squad against his former club his loan expires at the end of the month and he'll be going back to China.

United confirmed 19-year-old winger Facundo Pellistri tested positive for coronavirus, ruling him out of their FA Cup tie with Watford.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are times when I just feel a little deflated with team selection. I would like to have seen maybe Anthony Elanga given a chance on the left flank and maybe Mejbri on the bench. Surely there is no real future for Jesse at the club now.

Didn’t think the bench would be that strong but not like the players can do much with a day off in lockdown.

Thought we might see 1 or 2 youngsters on the bench but I guess he doesn’t feel they are ready. Could also be a bit of Covid precaution as well. The groups train separate and with Pellistri testing positive they maybe took precautions.

I’m happy with the team these boys all need game time a few of these lads haven’t played at all over the last month

Problem with having such a bloated squad. Lingard if you're playing a rotated squad has to get a chance.

Still 6 academy graduates in the team and Lingard aside they are all still early into their first team careers.

Bright start all these lads are fighting for a starting spot so should have a point to prove.

This is the most confident I’ve seen James with the ball in a long time

Lost the momentum after a bright start they’ve had a good spell in the game our passing in the final third been quite sloppy and a lot of panic at the back can happen when you make this many changes.

Just need to settle down feels like we are rushing it a bit to much.

Poor Bailly hopefully it was just precaution.

Henderson very jittery doesn’t fill me with confidence at all.

Does anyone know if Ole, Carrick and Fletch played together. I assume so during 06/07, but wondering if anyone knows?

Does anyone know if Ole, Carrick and Fletch played together. I assume so during 06/07, but wondering if anyone knows?

They were all in the squad in 06/07 can’t say if they were ever all on the pitch together.

Ole made 32 appearances in his final season so they must have been on the pitch together at some point.

1-0

Job done into the next round we go.

Lots of opportunities to impress but don’t think anyone took the chance lots of 6/10 performances.

Thought Lingard was best of a bad bunch he was bright.

Mata looks like a man ready for retirement lost his burst of pace can still play clever passes and nice turns but the physical side of the game just isn’t there.

Guess the result is the main thing, it’s not always pretty when you make so many changes. Glad we left Bruno on the bench though as he needed the rest.

Didn’t catch the game but sounds like a bit of a stinker?

Ole actually only make 15 appearances that season. Fletcher made 26. like Ole many of these were off the bench. Carrick was the new blue eyed boy in his first season and made 48 appearances.
Not sure if they were ever on the pitch at the same time.

1-0

Job done into the next round we go.

Lots of opportunities to impress but don’t think anyone took the chance lots of 6/10 performances.

Thought Lingard was best of a bad bunch he was bright.

Mata looks like a man ready for retirement lost his burst of pace can still play clever passes and nice turns but the physical side of the game just isn’t there.

Best moment of the game was one of his ridiculous touches. Edge of the box brings the ball down under control when it didn't look possible.

They all started the last game of the season against West Ham that season. I assume there were others.

VDS

Brown O'Shea Heinze Evra

Ole Carrick Fletch Richardson

Smith Rooney

The game Tevez scored the free kick to keep them up.

And Ole started 15. Played in 32 in total.

Guess the result is the main thing, it’s not always pretty when you make so many changes. Glad we left Bruno on the bench though as he needed the rest.

Didn’t catch the game but sounds like a bit of a stinker?

Started well first 20 minutes we could of grabbed 2 or 3 then we just sort of fizzled out.

They made a few chances off set pieces but never really felt like we were under pressure.

We just couldn’t get anything together going forward moves kept breaking down and we never really looked like scoring another goal,

Best moment of the game was one of his ridiculous touches. Edge of the box brings the ball down under control when it didn't look possible.

Mata is going to be an incredible vets player on that charity match scene his touch and awareness is unbelievable he just sees things others don’t see.

Hard to see him featuring to much in the rest of the season.

I didn't watch but seems like a scrappy game? Lots of changes for United before the game and lots during the game won't have helped. They got the win though.

The game was what I expected it to be, hardly worth spoiling a Saturday night for and I doubt many would have watched it if we werent imprisoned.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back