F1 2021

IDFD

The new season started yesterday.

Qualifying today. First race of the season is at Bahrain because of Covid rules entering Australia.

Throughout preseason testing it looks as if Mercedes are slightly on the back foot and that Red Bull have the stronger car entering the first race of the season.

Looking forward to a few things this season.

- Max and Perez. Let's see how he goes up against a top team mate that isn't from the Red Bull academy.
- Sainz and Leclerc. Leclerc easily had the beating of Vettel.
- Alonso returns.
- McLaren look like they're returning to the top table.
- Will Lewis get win 100.

Excellent race. How Hamilton managed to on I've no idea.

Turned it off for the football but caught the last few laps well played Max/Red Bull giving the position back rather than gambling on the stewards.

Hamilton showed all his skill to keep the slower can in front no mistakes didn’t give Max a sniff

Turned it off for the football but caught the last few laps well played Max/Red Bull giving the position back rather than gambling on the stewards.

His engineer said they were immediately told by the Stewards to give it back.

Max after said I should have been allowed to carry on and take the 5 sec penalty. Bad sportsmanship from him.

His engineer said they were immediately told by the Stewards to give it back.

Max after said I should have been allowed to carry on and take the 5 sec penalty. Bad sportsmanship from him.

I turned it back after so didn’t see that think sometimes teams have to play the game he had the speed he could have easily pulled 5 second clear in 3 laps that were left. Hamilton wouldn’t think twice about using that tactic.

Seems like they’re going for Mercedes this year they said on the radios mid race the race the Merc was going to wide on a corner just do the same until the stewards tell us to stop.

Seems like they’re going for Mercedes this year they said on the radios mid race the race the Merc was going to wide on a corner just do the same until the stewards tell us to stop.
They said on the highlight show that these were in the rules written down before the grand Prix. I can't remember the exact corner but you couldn't go wide in Q but you could in the race and only mercedes had understood that.
The penalty was a different area to that radio chat. You can't have all four wheels off and get an advantage. They'll give you the option to give the place back, or face penalties

Yeah you can go wide as long as you don’t gain an advantage Red Bull clearly worked out Merc we’re getting an advantage so they told their drivers to do the same.

Mercedes certainly seem to be prepared to offer an apology for breaking a rule rather than ask permission.

Mercedes weren't breaking any rules, as I said, the commentary team said the rules printed before the GP stated you could go wide at that one corner Mercedes were, but only during the race. Not Qualifying

The red ball error was on a different part of the track

I know they were two totally different incidents.

My point is no one else thought to go off track at that corner to maintain speed during the race Red Bull clocked what they were doing and told their drivers to do the same to lap quicker.

Turns out it was completely ambiguous, ridiculous.

From an article:

We started with track limits not being monitored at Turn 4, then after FP1 that was changed for practice and qualifying – but not for the race. However, drivers were told they had to obey the sporting regulations, which include keeping all four wheels on the track.

But because the stewards weren’t monitoring Turn 4 through the race, some drivers were going wide there during the grand prix until apparently being spotted and told not to.

The argument/criticism of Lewis is a bit of nonsense anyway. Verstappen went wide at that corner 15 times before Red Bull radio'd to him according to the F1 forum I use. So Mercedes weren't only not breaking the rules but Verstappen was taking the same line through the corner.

I took the decision to go on the Radio as a tactic from Red Bull to get the Mercedes to stop as they probably worked out they were getting more of an advantage from it that the Red Bull was. It was all tactics happens all the time like when someone gets forced wide they are straight on the radio having a moan even if it was a legal move.

Race is about to start and it looks like it should be very interesting.

Half the lap is wet half of it is dry. Starting on inters. You'd imagine they'll be in for dry tyres 4/5 laps in to the race.

Shame they didn't have to wait a while before going on to the slicks and Lewis f*cked it!

Crazy lap Hamilton loses the car but manages to recover.

Then a huge crash between Bottas and Russell.

Race stopped

Could be a while before this one restarts.

Hamilton will be fuming as it should be a standing start he’s had a tough race and made a very rare mistake now he’s got to fight back through to try and recover some points.

Bottas not happy with Russell who is blaming Bottas annoyingly doesn’t look like they’ve got a great replay to show what happened. Looks like Bottas moved on forcing Russell off the track at full speed but the commentators are suggesting he had enough space to stay on the road.

Poor mistake from Hamilton but fantastic recovery drive and fastest lap to still lead the championship.

I switched over as soon as he got Norris.

Given everything that happened he will be very happy to come out of that with second.

Terrible day for Hamilton and Bottas.

Such a dull race to watch as it’s impossible to overtake so no one even bothers.

Everyone just coasting along trying to do something clever with pit stops.

Max Verstappen cruising to victory with Hamilton in third and has a complete tyre failure with 4 laps to go. Race red flagged after a lap under SC conditions. Going to be a crazy 3 lap shoot out.

Be some big questions after the race about the tyres two blow outs at huge speeds the drivers won’t be happy.

Must be terrifying at 200mph.

Lewis messed up the restart. Finished last after knocking the break magic switch. Big let off for Verstappen. And we leave Baku with the drivers championship as it was. Lewis when he looks back will probably still think he got a lucky break as should have lost 11 points to Max. Instead it's 0. But he really should have been gaining 18 as a minimum.

Think he will be fuming 18 points lost at the end because he knocked a switch.

Hamilton will be fuming with team tactics again costing him the lead in a race.

Bloody stupid. Why leave him out two extra Laps after pitting Bottas?

And why didn't they get the undercut in the second phase. Seems crazy.

Verstappen and his team got it bang on yesterday managed to recover from the mistake at the start and caught out Mercedes with the stops.

It wasn't even a contest once he got in range of the Mercedes cars up top he just breezed past them with the extra straight line speed.

It's certainly good for the sport that there's a bit of competition this season for the drivers title.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back