F1 2019

Sideshow Bob

Australian Grand Prix - 17th March 2019

Qualifying

D1w636RXgAAAboS

Looked like Ferrari were quite far in front during testing so a bit of a surprise to see Merc so far clear

Hamilton wins the Bahrain Grand Prix after Leclerc's Ferrari suffers an engine problem late in the race.

Who is Hamilton's major rival this season - Vettel or Leclerc?

Glad to see Hamilton bounce back yesterday and get his first W of the year. Ferrari may be the team to beat this year though.

I read Leclerc was told to concede a position to Vettel who then held him up, is that true? If so it's shameful

Anyone else seeing this pathetic outburst by Vettel? Never liked him and think he's an even better tool now. Moving the #1 sign from in front of Lewis's car and replacing it with the #2. Hamilton should just laugh in his face.

Not going to lie was a big fan of him doing that love how petty formula one drivers can be.

See I don't like him and never have. Will always be a Hamilton guy because he's the best driver. And the argument for Vettel is a none starter.

Don’t get why the uproar regarding Vettel’s penalty. It was about as blatant as it gets. He broke two rules. Unsafely reentering the track after all 4 wheels left and failing to leave a card width. Hamilton doesn’t get on the breaks and it’s both their races over. He shouldn’t have to take evasive action because of a Vettel mistake and Vettel shouldn’t benefit from the mistake.

Absolutely agree with you here! Whether he meant to or not. Accident or deliberate what he did was dangerous and deserved a penalty. He argues he had nowhere to go and that's perhaps fair but he should have reentered the track behind Hamilton.

The only damning thing is that we’re 7 races in to the season and it’s already obvious the only thing stopping Hamilton winning another title is reliability woes. 29 points clear of Bottas and Bottas usually falls back after the first few races as Hamilton gets used to the car. It’s a trend that these two have followed where people are surprised by Bottas pace until Monaco and thereafter he’s not really near except for Russia.

Title race could easily be over mathematically with 5/6 races to go especially if Merc are only a couple of tenths up on Ferrari and Bottas like today finishes 4th not 2nd. A DNF for Hamilton brings it back to 4 points but if that first DNF goes the other way around and Hamilton takes a 54 point lead you can call it a day.

Title race could easily be over mathematically with 5/6 races to go especially if Merc are only a couple of tenths up on Ferrari and Bottas like today finishes 4th not 2nd. A DNF for Hamilton brings it back to 4 points but if that first DNF goes the other way around and Hamilton takes a 54 point lead you can call it a day.

Yeah let's not rule out Hamilton not finishing a race just yet. He's had good reliability in recent years but that could change at any time. I pray it doesn't and he continues to open up his lead. It may be a little boring but what we are watching from him is racing greatness.

I’m not usually one to say it but there was very little to get excited about in that race. Hulkenberg vs Kimi was probably all we had most of the race and then a late hydraulics issue for Norris was a shame and added a little bit of late drama.

It’s hard not to see Lewis wrapping this up very quickly. Bottas just doesn’t have the race pace to stick with him. He switches off during stints for too long. Lewis was 20 seconds up the road today. Then set the fastest lap of the race on the last lap so was barely pushing. (Then taken by Seb on the 1 lap old softs)

The fact that Seb on one lap old softs was only 2 tenths up setting the fastest lap than Hamilton on 30 lap old hards shows how much pace is still remaining in this merc that they aren’t showing.

I hope Merc don’t keep Bottas in that seat next year. After 3 years we know Hamilton easily has the beating of him.

Obviously we’d all love them to go all out and get Max. Let’s see him vs Lewis in the same car. But even if not Max let’s see Ocon or Russell in the seat.

As a Hamilton fans it’s great to see him putting up the stats his talent deserves. I want to see him beat as many of Schumachers records as possible.

Poles he’s got comfortably.

This should be championship number 6. And I wouldn’t expect him to leave before getting number 7 when that close. He said recently his new target is 10.

The wins is probably a definite now with 13 races left this season you could see him possibly getting another 10 wins taking him to 89. However with no regulation changes next season it’s hard not to see him getting 12 wins between now and the end of 2020 with the form he’s on. He also is 13 podiums
behind. Unless he retires that’s surely guaranteed.

Other records. Seb’s and Michaels record of 13 wins in a season is there for the taking this year. 6 wins with 13 races to go.

Highest percentage of wins is 75% for Fangio. Which is what Lewis now sits on.

Other unlikely ones. Vettel’s 9 wins in a row. Now sits on 4. Lewis record is 5.

Podiums in a row. 19. Currently on 10.

Most podiums in a season. 17. 8 now with 13 races to go.

If Lewis doesn’t have any reliability issues he could truly lay down some unbreakable records this season.

Hamilton podium run is over unless something ridiculous happens. Broken front wing

My girlfriend is off to Thailand for a month this week. Once Hamilton pitted the first time and came out 6 seconds behind I said let’s go and get food this is over as could see she was getting annoyed waiting.

What a mistake. By all accounts I’ve missed a classic.

It wasn't overly exciting as a moment when it happened as Hamilton just had so much speed on him he was taking a few seconds off per lap by the point where he caught him.

Hamilton takes the title.

However the most interesting thing from the weekend is a technical directive issued looks to have accused Ferrari of cheating and slowed them down substantially.

I mean in F1 if you aren't "cheating" are you even trying? They're all pushing the rules and regulations to the absolute limit to try and gain any split second they can get.

Was it a few years back where one of the cars had a new wing design that was borderline illegal so they smashed everyone for the first half the season then when the FIA ruled it was legal everyone just copied it and they really struggled. Think it was the Brawn team with Button.

It was the blown diffuser with Brawn I believe.

The claims made by Redbull aren’t borderline grey area cheating though it’s a blatant ignorance of the rules.

Yeah I just remember them basically having a new bit of kit that meant they were blitzing the field everyone else trying to claim it was against the rules then when they were allowed to install upgrades to their cars they all had a version of it that levelled things up again.

Well I'm sure if they can prove that Ferrari were cheating then they'll get penalised but as it stands it's just an allegation based on 1 race if the Ferrari is clearly slower on the straights again in the next race then it might be a bit more obvious.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back