European Premier League: Talks take place over new £4.6bn tournament

From what I’m reading this will be replacing the Champions League.

Clubs will still compete domestically but the CL will become an 18 team league competition.

FIFA are desperate to get the big clubs away from UEFA.

From what I’m reading this will be replacing the Champions League.

Clubs will still compete domestically but the CL will become an 18 team league competition.

FIFA are desperate to get the big clubs away from UEFA.
Of course they will. I wonder how the promotion and relegation from this league would work.

Of course they will. I wonder how the promotion and relegation from this league would work.

Franchise system probably you’ll be invited to join if the 18 members deem you worthy I reckon it’ll be a closed shop as that’s what the owners will want.

American owners who, 10 years ago, could write what they knew about OUR game on the back of their hand, trying to muscle in and reshape OUR game to reflect their own “NFL” model.
I know this has been floating around for a number of years (without American input), but it irritates me, this whole “Americans” know best routine.
Wasn’t it the pompous Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner, who tried to reassure English football that Hicks and Gillette knew what they were doing?
We know how that turned out.
Stick to your side of the water...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

American owners who, 10 years ago, could write what they knew about OUR game on the back of their hand, trying to muscle in and reshape OUR game to reflect their own “NFL” model.
I know this has been floating around for a number of years (without American input), but it irritates me, this whole “Americans” know best routine.
Wasn’t it the pompous Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner, who tried to reassure English football that Hicks and Gillette knew what they were doing?
We know how that turned out.
Stick to your side of the water...

You can see why the model appeals to the European Clubs a closed shop with guaranteed income and full control is exactly what they want and it's what the NFL has. They act for the good of the collective group not for the good of the overall game but obviously they've always had it that way trying to impose that model on existing structures will be tough almost impossible. You basically need to setup rogue leagues that don't operate under any of the existing structures then try to beat your competition into bankruptcy.

The big clubs will always want more money the most aggressive voice in all of this has always been Juventus they are the ones who really seem to have no problem speaking publicly about this sort of stuff.

jsp...
...it will happen, just a matter of when?
I’m not against it at all, just don’t want to see Americans driving it.
And it’s not a club bias, l’d feel the same way if Real had American owners.
You are right about Juve, but all the giants want this.
I’m happy as long as it doesn’t disrupt the European domestic leagues.
And l’d be happier still if it could somehow exclude the involvement of that upstanding organisation we all love...
...FIFA.
Would much prefer UEFA, even if they have embarrassed themselves more than once when trying to enforce ffp.

It's FIFA vs UEFA and nothing else the big clubs will play them off against each other.

FIFA hate that UEFA hold the power in the game through the big European clubs, FIFA only get a sniff of the top stars every 4 years at a world cup they want much better access to the clubs because that is where the money is.

My guess if the clubs would much rather stick to UEFA than jump in with FIFA but if FIFA make promises to them that make them even richer then UEFA will need to match or better those terms.

It's self interest these big clubs don't like the fact that they share the pot with smaller teams, they don't like the fact that big names miss out on CL football every year they don't want new faces at the table they want the same old faces thinking the same old way season after season.

Basically the big clubs believe they generate all the money so they should be setting the rules not these governing bodies so it'll be who cracks first over who they align with when it comes to European competitions.

If you asked fans most of them would say the european cup should be a straight knock out tournament because who really is that bothered about the group games for most big clubs they're a formality. You ask the clubs they actually want more group games because more games mean more money so fans and clubs will never see eye to eye on this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

THE DEATH OF FOOTBALL

If this happens it’s a major kick in the teeth for fans as even fans of the top sides don’t want this it is pure greed from Europe’s major clubs.

Fans will pay the price for this ticket prices will go up as will TV subscriptions.

A European super league is of no interest whatsoever to me.

one last push to get through the changes they want from uefa on the latest reforms?

Surely the leagues won’t allow them to compete domestically if they join this new league

Leagues and UEFA already saying clubs that sign up to this new league will be banned from domestic competition and they will push for the. players to be banned from international football.

All this done with no fan consultation while grounds are empty if this continues fans need to be very vocal in grounds to make the execs aware that they hate this idea.

This is about the champions League talk UEFA are meeting about surely. The club's don't like it

This is about the champions League talk UEFA are meeting about surely. The club's don't like it

Happens every time but seems like talks broke down recently clubs aren’t getting what they want out of this next deal.

Even if it is just empty threats it’s time UEFA stood up to them how much more of the pie do these club need?

They’ve already rigged the competition so much in their favour asking for guaranteed places for me is something UEFA can never allow to happen at that point it is no longer competition.

Scandalous. All football associations should throw out the clubs if they insist on doing this. It can shove right off!

Yeah I hope international clubs say the players can't play and the clubs will be thrown out of domestic comps.

12 clubs, which means there 6 English clubs who are supposedly voting for this. United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, Barca, Real and Atletico from Spain along with the Milan clubs and Juventus. So, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Atletico and the Italian clubs want to create a new breakaway system with no financial regulation that only City, Chelsea, Barca or Real will ever win? A complete disgrace for all the reasons Neville mentioned, but from a competitive standpoint, like turkeys voting for Christmas.

12 clubs, which means there 6 English clubs who are supposedly voting for this. United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, Barca, Real and Atletico from Spain along with the Milan clubs and Juventus. So, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Atletico and the Italian clubs want to create a new breakaway system with no financial regulation that only City, Chelsea, Barca or Real will ever win? A complete disgrace for all the reasons Neville mentioned, but from a competitive standpoint, like turkeys voting for Christmas.

It will have massive regulation this will be an NFL style cartel clubs all tied together sharing more equally in the profits they generate.

There will be salary caps, I’m guessing a new transfer system based on trades rather than fees and much more control for owners over players.

Utd will make a lot more money from this kind of structure than the current structure more money/power concentrated in the hands of fewer clubs.

It's brinksmanship, nothing more. Wind yer necks in!

Even if it is they are showing their true colours.

The fans all hate these ideas but they are prepared to publicly back them to try and force through what they want.

While we are screwed because our owners can do what they want surely the members at clubs like Barca/Madrid will be strongly opposed to these changes?

I hate the idea of this league, but also see the irony of UEFA and FIFA moaning about it, saying it's all about money.
They know they'd be nothing without these clubs, worthless.
FIFA one of the most corrupt cooperations around. Organising a tournament in Qatar, because that wasn't about money.

Honestly nothing sounds more boring than watching the same teams year after year in a plastic competition. There will be no joy in winning the ‘super league’ - its just purely about the owners lining their pockets.

It will just be a billionaires club with no relegation, playing the same few teams year and year out. I cringe just thinking about it.

Bloody awful idea and the PL will never allow it and it’ll only happen if clubs jump ship from the league which is highly doubtful.

9:30pm announcement.
Nothing yet, second thoughts after all the negative press? Does that prove the power of UEFA and FIFA, is that healthy?

Lots of questions raised by this, regardless of how horrible the idea.

If there's no relegation, why would the bottom team bother when points are crucial at the top? No money filtering down, where do the players come from? But the sport has been about money since the start of the prem. So it's no surprise.

I'm not against a super League, but it needs relegation

It will have massive regulation this will be an NFL style cartel clubs all tied together sharing more equally in the profits they generate.

There will be salary caps, I’m guessing a new transfer system based on trades rather than fees and much more control for owners over players.

Utd will make a lot more money from this kind of structure than the current structure more money/power concentrated in the hands of fewer clubs.
First off, the ownership groups of City, Chelsea, Barca and Real want no part of profit sharing. Second, that’s exactly my point about competitive imbalance. The Glazers would love nothing more than to turn us into the Bucs. Don’t forget they had to be forced to spend the league minimum on salaries for years, and had no interest in being competitive until they lucked into Brady. Shoot me now if this happens.

I still say this is about UEFA's new rules. Them getting richer on the backs of the clubs.

A deal will be done, and whatever way the toast falls, fans will be screwed.

Football for the fans went years ago, not sure how all the pundits, who most of, were part of it, can't see that.

As per the Beeb:

Manchester United co-chairman Joel Glazer will be a vice-chairman of the Super League.

He said: "By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid."

Increased financial support? By buying all their players? Ask Tim Vickery how this model has impacted the Brazilian leagues. Spoiler alert: It’s not good. And Joel Glazer is a VC of this unholy alliance? We are never getting rid of those leeches are we? FFS

Saw a poorly worded version of this on Twitter:

old_plaque.jpg

The Glazers are trying to destroy a competition that these men gave their lives trying to win.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back