Europa League 2020/21: Man Utd vs Real Sociedad Thu 25th Feb 8pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Utd come in with a 4-0 lead but Ole has warned he won't be playing the U23 side you wonder if Sociedad will bring a young side over for the game.

Utd have a tough league game coming on Sunday away to Chelsea so you can expect rotation.

We still wait to hear on injuries we know Pogba is out but I'd say it's possible that McTominay, Cavani and VDB might be available if they are he might have them on his bench to try and give them 30 minutes ahead of the weekend game.

Henderson

Williams Tuanzebe Maguire Telles

Matic Fred

James Mata Amad

Martial

Would be nice to see Amad get his first start and I think players like Williams, Tuanzebe, James and Mata need some football and key starters like Bruno, Rashford and AWB who rarely get rests should be given the night off. Maguire plays every minute of every game so you assume he starts it really comes down to how risky Ole is feeling with the defence as changing the entire defence is a big gamble. We might see Tuanzebe at RB with one of the other CB's starting.

I hope he rests players, Chelsea at the weekend is a key game.

I think he said Diallo and Shoretire would play, some part

Interestng you have him on the right, and he played on the right the other night. I thought he was a left sided player.

I had Amad on the left you could easily swap him and James though I don't really have a clue where Amad plays in the clips I've seen from U23 he pops up all over the place.

yeah, I got my left and right wrong, doh! I thought he was going to be the answer to the right wing problem. I don't know much about him to be honest. Other than he seems to have played the opposite side to what I had expected.

Yeah think he's one of those lads who can probably play either side from the U23's he looks pretty two footed when on the right he hasn't been afraid to go outside his man to try and cause problems.

He looks pretty left footed to me. I am sure he could play either flank but he seems better off the right.

Team should be announced in half hour. Surely he's finally got to give Maguire a rest. If Williams about at all now days?

Henderson

Williams Bailly Tuanzebe Telles

Fred Matic

Shoretire Mata Amad

Martial

I hope he goes along these lines. Give the two young boys their full debut and get a rest to AWB and Maguire who must need it.

Just realised we are the late game this time round. Damn.

I don't think he'll make full team changes, if he puts out full U23 team there'd be the risk of going 2 or 3 down early and opening the tie up again.

Team to play Sociedad: Henderson, Wan-Bissaka, Bailly, Lindelof, Telles, Matic, Fred, Fernandes, Greenwood, James, Martial

Subs: Bishop, De Gea, Grant, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Williams, Galbraith, Amad Diallo, Rashford, Shoretire

Why in the world are we playing Fernandes? Crazy. Got to give him a rest some time!

Also got to give the kids a chance, what better time than 4-0 up from a first leg. Poor selection IMO.

I have to be honest I am really disappointed with this team. I was hoping to see Amad and Shoretire start, certainly Amad. To spend that sort of money on a player that could ultimately save you spending another 50 plus million, when you are already 4 up is a little bit pathetic tbh.

I have to be honest I am really disappointed with this team. I was hoping to see Amad and Shoretire start, certainly Amad. To spend that sort of money on a player that could ultimately save you spending another 50 plus million, when you are already 4 up is a little bit pathetic tbh.
Yep but I think Ole would play Fernandes even if we were playing the Chorley Under 11’s!

I think it's right to not start with boys, put them on half time.

If you lose a an early goal or two it could put too much pressure on them.

45 mins would be a good run out

I could not disagree more really. If they cannot handle the pressure when they are 4 up they probably should not be at United. But more to the point I am not talking about playing a complete youth team couple of young players in a largely experienced team.

THEY ARE KIDS

Chances have to be earned not gifted and it may be that Ole doesn’t feel they’ve got enough physically to do more than 30-45 minutes of first team football.

I’m sure if the first 60 minutes go to plan a few of them will get on.

Very surprised to see Bruno start and Mata isn’t even on the bench which is a shame thought he would be nailed on to start, can’t believe AWB starts again that lad deserves a rest but he’s onviously not fancying Williams at the moment.

I can just about go with the "THEY ARE KIDS" argument but the idea that they are being gifted a chance is absolute rubbish in my opinion. By that argument you cannot earn a chance because you do not play.

I can just about go with the "THEY ARE KIDS" argument but the idea that they are being gifted a chance is absolute rubbish in my opinion. By that argument you cannot earn a chance because you do not play.

They will get a chance though as long as the starting XI don’t do something stupid and give them a sniff that they might be in a game which they are currently doing.

Chucking 2 or 3 in from the start to me would be silly could do as much harm as good and apart from Bruno I’d argue the rest of those forward players need a start. Ole has been very good at knowing when to put the young kids in.

We don’t know all the factors especially around fitness.

For me it’s more worrying that he’s not putting Williams and Tuanzebe in for starts that suggests to me he’s totally lost faith in them.

Yeah we should be behind playing with no real intensity just knocking it about hardly created a chance.

As I write that We create our best chance of the night.

Not sure Williams has had a good game since we came back from lockdown but he hardly gets a sniff you wonder if he’s struggling in training so not being given chances.

Hard to see him and Tuanzebe being at the club next season reckon both could be out on loan if Ole can get cover.

I liked Januzaj when he was here and still think he'd be better than a few of the options we retained.

Bailly - Lindelof partnership seems to work better than Maguire - Lindelof.

Another Thursday night performance really. I watching TV and have my Ipad to the side of me

Think Januzaj just lost his way a bit under Van Gaal move made perfect sense for him and we got a good fee for him seems to be enjoying himself at Real Sociedad.

Williams taking chances looks miles off the pace of the game.

Think Januzaj just lost his way a bit under Van Gaal move made perfect sense for him and we got a good fee for him seems to be enjoying himself at Real Sociedad.

Williams taking chances looks miles off the pace of the game.
Williams needs playing time. This type of match is perfect for him. Big hop up from U23s to the big boys.

Williams needs playing time. This type of match is perfect for him. Big hop up from U23s to the big boys.

Yeah on another night he could have walked for that tackle refs in Europe are strict.

Unlucky for Tuanzebe was a foul but the ball was already past him when the foul happened.

For a dead rubber it was still a fun match. Maybe not a lot for the highlight DVD but we've become spoiled of late. Remember how turgid our football was before Ole showed up? Just enjoying a match was a rare treat.

Glad a bunch of fringe players got some minutes. Shoretire, Williams, Tuanzebe, Amad all featured, got to play. I didn't see a whole lot on offer from Amad and Shoretire. If you didn't see the match, they didn't look much different from a bunch of fringe players we let go (or go out on loan) recently like Gomes and Chong. James looked more threatening, faster, and more lively than Amad and Shoretire. No errors from them, nothing special either. It will help them get up to speed for senior competition, so that's a good thing.

Henderson came out and claimed a cross right on his 6 yard box line, and I wonder if DeGea would have done that or stayed on his line. DeGea is much better with his passing with his feet, and seems to have quicker reflexes which leads to those world class saves. I think DeGea still edges it though.

I think Ole was right to start Bruno because we look rudderless without him in the side. Real Sociedad were the better team at the start and they would have taken us apart if we had started the game with our 2nd half team.

Anyway, we're through.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back