Europa League 19/20: Manchester United vs LASK (Round of 16 2nd leg)

SuperRash

Next up next Wednesday (5th Aug) at 8pm.

No starter should play, needs to be a mix of second choice and youth. Great we have that 5 goal cushion so we can rest everyone.

Romero

Laird - Bailly - Mengi - TFM

McTominay - Fred

Lingard - Mata - James

Ighalo​

Not sure if we will see the U23 players unless they’ve been in the covid bubble with first team players.

Surely Dalot will start think they might start Williams as well to give him more playing time

Seen quite a few players pics on a well deserved holiday. Would be interesting if they are expected to be back after the game against LASK or if they still have time off even when we are against Copenhagen/Basaksehir.

Seen quite a few players pics on a well deserved holiday. Would be interesting if they are expected to be back after the game against LASK or if they still have time off even when we are against Copenhagen/Basaksehir.

My guess with the covid testing requirements most will be back in on Monday as they’ll need to have cleared tests before heading out to Germany.

Ole has confirmed there will be lots of changes to the starting 11 and Lingard will start

Correct score 4-3 @ 175/1............ Oops powered up to 200/1
Scorecast - Ighalo first scorer and 4-3 @ 437/1

lol.... by the time the scorecast went on the odds were 12021/25. Have you ever seen anything like that? it works out about 480/1

I cant wait to pick my dosh up :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Stronger than I thought. Give Maguire a rest dammit! This was the perfect chance to give Mengi a debut.

Tbh I am a bit disappointed. I was looking to see laird, mengi, and garner. Maybe chong. At 5 nil up I saw this as an opportunity to see how these lads are progressing and also give them some game time

Think assuming things don’t go tits up both the youngsters will get 20-30 minutes these lads have had no football in 5 months and U23 only just came back to training together recently as far as I’m aware.

Fosu-Mensah picked ahead of Dalot again and Dalot doesn’t even make a 12 man bench if that doesn’t tell you he’s out the door this summer nothing else will.

Tbh I am a bit disappointed. I was looking to see laird, mengi, and garner. Maybe chong. At 5 nil up I saw this as an opportunity to see how these lads are progressing and also give them some game time
To be honest I dont think there would be much to learn in fielding a team of youngsters. These players are better being gradually introduced individually to play with the seniors. Much the way that Williams has. Thats when we find out about them.

It wouldn't have been a team of youngsters. It would have been 3 or 4. I don't see any reason for not playing laird in place of fosu mensah.

It wouldn't have been a team of youngsters. It would have been 3 or 4. I don't see any reason for not playing laird in place of fosu mensah.

I get that but all these lads need some game time they’ve hardly played since restart and they are the ones Ole has to turn to when he needs to make changes when the first choice starts.

On the actual game we’ve been rusty as hell the final ball has been dreadful

Yeah but they’re all we’ve got if we get an injury or suspension one of these lot have to play it’s a reminder of how much squad improvement needs to happen to get right back to the top. Some of these guys might be playing in hope they do well so someone will buy them from us and Fosu-Mensah I think is firmly in that group.

Of this front 4 the only one that looks remotely useful is Ighalo the other 3 struggling to even play simple passes i mean Mata has been a good servant but he’s got to go this summer. James has had his settling in period and needs to start showing a lot more and Lingard is Lingard.

That was not a great half. Our second XI is at the LASK level, if not a little below them - and that is not a good thing. There were some positives though: a beautiful flick on from Ighalo, a couple of gorgeous long passes from Mata, and Williams terrorizing them on the left.

On whole, though, there is argument for strengthening the squad.

TFM is not a fullback and we should stop deploying him there. He is terrible at it.
James is like a puppy trying to figure out how its legs work. A loan might be best for him. I don't trust him to have any impact off the bench.
Bailly was out of position 5 or 6 times in that half. He always has a mistake in him and his mistakes are costly. I don't like him as even 3rd choice CB.
Romero looked sharp. Wondering if getting him in more games next season might be a good thing.
McT and Fred don't work well together. Which one you find more culpable probably has to do with the style you enjoy. One thing that crystallized today about Fred's play is that when he has the ball he often hangs onto it too long, so that when he has played a successful pass, the person receiving the ball is put under unnecessary pressure and/or is under threat of an immediate crunching tackle or losing the ball. Contrast this with how Matic or even Pogba invite pressure onto them but when they distribute the ball they have given the receiver of the ball an extra step of freedom. Carrick also was a master at this. As a player, I loathed playing with players like Fred, when I watch him now, I find myself shouting "Now! Pass it!" and he still has the ball. I was never as fit as Fred is, but fitness is the only skill difference I can spot between him, me, and the local high school players. I am so done with Fred. I will try to stop ranting about him but it is driving me insane watching him play.

Just noticed no drinks break glad they’ve scrapped that.

Obviously means more to them than us they look to be playing at full speed we’re playing pre season pace.

0-1

That is a ridiculously good strike of a bobbling ball caught in perfectly.

Williams needs to sort his left peg out if he’s going to be a top left back.

Totally forgot about this as I logged onto work laptop for five minutes (ended being two hours).

Some really wonderful touches from Pereira and Chong in the second half. Just want to remain hopeful on those two. They don't seem to be able to do it at Premier League level but against lesser opposition they look great. Maybe they can build on this.

Mata with 2 assists (and should have been 3 assists, but Martial didn't finish). Martial with a nice goal. Nice to see Mengi make his senior debut.

Nice goal from Jesse too.

Job done. 7-1 agg.

Some really wonderful touches from Pereira and Chong in the second half. Just want to remain hopeful on those two. They don't seem to be able to do it at Premier League level but against lesser opposition they look great. Maybe they can build on this.

Mata with 2 assists (and should have been 3 assists, but Martial didn't finish). Martial with a nice goal. Nice to see Mengi make his senior debut.

Nice goal from Jesse too.

Job done. 7-1 agg.
Keep taking the tablets

Yeah but they’re all we’ve got if we get an injury or suspension one of these lot have to play it’s a reminder of how much squad improvement needs to happen to get right back to the top. Some of these guys might be playing in hope they do well so someone will buy them from us and Fosu-Mensah I think is firmly in that group.

Of this front 4 the only one that looks remotely useful is Ighalo the other 3 struggling to even play simple passes i mean Mata has been a good servant but he’s got to go this summer. James has had his settling in period and needs to start showing a lot more and Lingard is Lingard.
It would be good to start hearing some noises about clubs wanting some of the players we need to be moving on.

Very strange subs from Ole. How can he only give Mengi 6 minutes, Chong 18 minutes and Garner nothing. This was the perfect opportunity to give the youngsters a good run. Also there was no point bringing on Pogba or Martial - sure Martial got the winner but if they’d got injured it would have been ridiculous.

Yeah I only saw the last 10 minutes I think. I was very surprised with those who were playing. Why bother bringing Martial, made no sense whatsoever

Ole had a real opportunity there to play some youngsters and go with some really fresh legs and he wasted it. What a shame.

as it was he got slaughtered on the BBC text last night from united fans wanting a stronger team.

I think Ole is doing alright in regards to how he handles the youngsters.
There’s no room for criticism on that front if you ask me

Think he got the selection and the changes about right to be honest he gave Mengi a taste of first team football but he's still very young and probably a few years away from being a first team regular if he develops.

He needed to give the players who will actually be the bench options for this tournament as much time as possible.

As a young player at Utd you need to show in training that you're better than the first team players if you do that you'll get chances in games and if you then show it in games you'll get ahead of them, you don't just get handed them you need to earn them. Ole will see these kids every day in training so he'll know if they've earned the shot if they haven't they need to keep working hard in training to earn the chance of more playing time.

as it was he got slaughtered on the BBC text last night from united fans wanting a stronger team.

That's madness, what the hell would we want to put a stronger XI out for? Most were all in desperate need of rest, there would be a risk of injury unnecessarily and we were 5-0 up lol. Ole did the right thing.

That's madness, what the hell would we want to put a stronger XI out for? Most were all in desperate need of rest, there would be a risk of injury unnecessarily and we were 5-0 up lol. Ole did the right thing.
Ole did the right thing? What? Maguire needs to be protected. What was the point in bringing Martial on in the last 10 minutes? Where was the injection of youth like an Ethan Laird?

I just think ethan laird made all the sense in the world. An attacking right back is something we are short of and we were never going to be knocked out of that match. Personally I would have gone further by playing 3 or 4 of the young players, although I do understand some of those 2nd string needed some game time. I can't for the life of me understand that at right back though

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back