Europa League 19/20: Manchester United vs Copenhagen (QF)

SuperRash

Quarter final up next Monday 10th August at 8pm.

You would imagine all the big guns will be back with the exception of the injured Shaw. Although would be tempted to give Romero the rest of the tournament. Other than think it’ll be our first available first choice team.

I was expecting to be playing Istanbul but Copenhagen scored a very impressive 3-0 win in the second leg. Hopefully it will be quite straightforward though.

Fun fact, our once right back Varela plays for Copenhagen now.

Yep with a week break before the semi's I would expect the usual XI now to play all 3 games, obviously if progress that far.

Interesting dilemma with Romero, i'd be tempted to stick with him. Why should DDG get the glamour end of the competition?

Think Romero has an knee issue that stops him playing 2 games a week which is why he's happy being a number 2 with the short format of this I think they'll put De Gea in for the games going forward.

If the knee is ok they might give him this game then bring De Gea back for the semi/final if his knee is fine and that rumour is nonsense I'd let Romero play all 3 games and keep De Gea as the number 2. He might not like it but Romero has done all the hard work in this competition he deserves the glamour games as well just like 2017.

As for the rest of the team it's only really left back up for grabs as Shaw isn't going to travel because of the injury so I guess it's between Fosu-Mensah and Williams for that spot as Dalot seems to be totally frozen out at the moment.

Lindelöf has been carrying a knock so we might see Bailly again alongside Maguire.

Should be a comfortable game with the first team players fit and fresh we should be able to get through and on to the semi final.

Surprising to see Fred get the start over Matic assumed it would be the usual team.

Guessing Matic is being saved for the potential semi final or final. Hope Fred can put on a good performance tonight because his fleeting appearances since lockdown haven’t been great. Other than a good team and expect a comfortable win.

Wonder if they’re worried about his legs in the heat might want a bit of experience on the bench just in case they need to make a change.

Drinks breaks tonight due to the heat.

We are not good at playing out from the back and teams have worked it out.

Full back not good enough on the ball and neither is Fred.

Shame for Greenwood to have the goal ruled out, was a top class finish.

We have been so lacklustre, started to perk up towards the end of the half. Expect us to pick up the pace and pick them off in the second half.

Feels like it’s not meant to be our night though. Smashed the inside of the post twice.

Phew that was one of those nights! Glad we got through and on another night could have easily been 4 or 5.

Wolves or Sevilla it is. Think I’d prefer Sevilla in truth.

I so enjoyed that. Been a long time since I enjoyed a game so much and both teams can be congratulated for that, as can BT whose well worked out sound noise and great commentary created atmosphere.

Yeah the crowd noise was the best I’ve heard so far, actually felt like there was a crowd. Was definitely an enjoyable night of football.

That Rasmus Falk for Copenhagen looked a proper good player. Could have just been a flash in the pan tonight but he only has one Denmark cap which was surprising.

I’m not sure if I would rather wolves over Sevilla , Sevilla are more unknown to us ,there usually the teams that beat us in Europe , wolves although are set up good I think we would know what to expect from them

Martial was different class second half once he started dropping off the front the didn’t know what to do with him.

That will have been tough will be some tired legs don’t think we can afford to start that sloppy vs better teams.

I give him stick but thought Lindelof was good when he came on.

Poor last night I though. Did just enough to win. Credit to Copenhagen for giving us a game. We had 5 or so minutes here and there that we started to look good and faded again, we just didnt seem to get out of second gear. I thougt, much to what i was saying when he was bought on, that Mata did well and swung the game a bit in our favour in extra time.

AWB had a slow start and grew into the game but he's so poor in the final third. If we get Sancho he's gonna have to really up his game to offer more to support him. He does get in so much space most games but seems clueless when he gets the ball. How the hell he was a converted from a winger I don't know. Williams in contrast is so much better in the final third but can't really do much as he is right footed and can't put the ball in properly and has to cut back.

Pogba and Fernandes started the game too deep which I don't understand. Second half they pushed up and both came alive and were better.

All in all, if we are favourites to win the competition we really need to do better.

Here's a new idea for us, why don't we all give our player scores on the tread of the game...

Romero - 6
AWB - 6
Maguire - 8
Bailly - 8
Williams - 7
Pogba - 7.5
Fred - 5.5
Greenwood - 6
Bruno - 7.5
Rashford - 5
Martial - 8.5

Poor last night I though. Did just enough to win. Credit to Copenhagen for giving us a game. We had 5 or so minutes here and there that we started to look good and faded again, we just didnt seem to get out of second gear. I thougt, much to what i was saying when he was bought on, that Mata did well and swung the game a bit in our favour in extra time.

AWB had a slow start and grew into the game but he's so poor in the final third. If we get Sancho he's gonna have to really up his game to offer more to support him. He does get in so much space most games but seems clueless when he gets the ball. How the hell he was a converted from a winger I don't know. Williams in contrast is so much better in the final third but can't really do much as he is right footed and can't put the ball in properly and has to cut back.

Pogba and Fernandes started the game too deep which I don't understand. Second half they pushed up and both came alive and were better.

All in all, if we are favourites to win the competition we really need to do better.

Here's a new idea for us, why don't we all give our player scores on the tread of the game...

Romero - 6
AWB - 6
Maguire - 8
Bailly - 8
Williams - 7
Pogba - 7.5
Fred - 5.5
Greenwood - 6
Bruno - 7.5
Rashford - 5
Martial - 8.5
How on earth you can say we were poor and then give scores like that is amazing. Have you been taking lessons from @jsp in the art of contradiction?

Romero 6
AWB 6
Maguire 8
Bailly 7
Williams 6
Fred 5
Pogba 8
Bruno 7
Greenwood 7
Rashford 5
Martial 8

Romero gets a 6 because he didn't actually have anything to do in terms of shot stopping.

Thought both full backs were poor on the ball all game and gave us nothing going forward, Fred was poor in midfield and Rashford had a stinker up top.

Greenwood was good but he ran out of steam after about 70 minutes.

Maguire was a rock, Pogba ran the game and Martial was the difference in the end absolute ripped them apart in extra time.

As for the subs who came on I thought Lindelöf was excellent, Matic was good, Mata was ok and Lingard/McTominay didn't really have time to make an impact.

The scores I have given were from a personal performance. In hindsight maybe i should have taken into account the first half more possibly but as I said above, Pogba and Bruno were better second half. Bailly did really well while he was on the pitch (with no calamity sending off) and Maguire headed everything that came his way. BUT, in general as a team, we didn't click like we can. And Martial second half and extra time was pretty damn good. Other than those players mentioned the rest of team got average points for a very average performance. This is Utd, average is poor.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back