Euro 2021: Portugal

Sideshow Bob

225px-Portuguese_Football_Federation.svg.png

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Rui Patrício (Wolves), Rui Silva (Granada)

Defenders: João Cancelo (Manchester City), Rúben Dias (Manchester City), José Fonte (LOSC Lille), Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund), Nuno Mendes (Sporting CP), Pepe (Porto), Nélson Semedo (Wolves)

Midfielders: William Carvalho (Real Betis), Danilo (Paris), Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United), Gonçalo Guedes (Valencia), João Moutinho (Wolves), Rúben Neves (Wolves), Sérgio Oliveira (Porto), João Palhinha (Sporting CP), Pote (Sporting CP), Renato Sanches (LOSC Lille), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)

Forwards: João Félix (Atlético Madrid), Diogo Jota (Liverpool), Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus), André Silva (Eintracht Frankfurt), Rafa Silva (Benfica)

They've got a hell of a team and a lot of players coming off the back of good seasons with their clubs so expectations will be high if they get out of the group.

They have got a great team, I think I would put a bet on them if I were a betting man.

Fernandes with a ripper of a goal vs Israel in a friendly. He’s going to be crucial for them if they are to go far in the tournament. Looking forward to see what he can do on the biggest stage.

Cancelo has had to pull out with Covid Diogo Dalot has been called up as a replacement.

Well done Ronaldo, removed the Coke bottles placed in front of him on the desk for his interviews, picked a bottle of water and said drink water.

I never understand how Coke, McDonalds etc. sponsor sporting events

Pay the most money to hide the damage their product does to peoples health if consumed in high quantities.

It's crazy how easily manipulated we are by mere product association. Put some of the unhealthiest food possible in the presence of the Olympics and high level sport and we believe it's not all that bad. Good on Ronaldo for taking a stand.

Not sure if it's just me, but has football become far more defensive of late? Both European finals were won by negative tactics and ultra defensive teams. So far (ok, small sample size) most of the matches at the Euros have been dull, but for flashes. Is it as simple as the ridiculous amount of football being crammed into one year has knackered the attacking players, or are limited sides becoming better at parking the bus and are being incentivized by watching boring teams win things? Or am I just being a crotchety old man?

I think this 5-3-2 with 2 holding midfielders a lot of teams are playing is something to do with it.

The top teams keep the ball so well that it isn't end to end and teams drop in and play the low block well.

The Portugal game highlighted why teams do it though. As soon as Hungary had to come out and at em they got torn apart twice in quick succession.

The only game that kept my attention so far was the Dutch game. Maybe it's the first games are cagey as you don't want to lose.
Hoping this next game will be a cracker

Well done Ronaldo, removed the Coke bottles placed in front of him on the desk for his interviews, picked a bottle of water and said drink water.

I never understand how Coke, McDonalds etc. sponsor sporting events
Jeez, the power of the man, 4billion wiped of their share price

Thought they looked dangerous but missed a lot of chances before finally getting the break in the game got a lot of depth in those forward positions to bring quality off the bench.

If they can get Jota and Ronaldo linking well together, they'll be scary.

Think the scary thing is you could say both had an off night last night and the team still scored 3 I know they were late goals but Portugal looked threatening all game they were creating chances throughout just not taking them.

the speed of Ronaldo on that break - looking about 26 not 36! reminded me of that brilliant goal in the CL at Arsenal

Of course this was the match I was only able to watch the first 20 min of. Probably gonna watch the replay online, but the offside German opener was a ridiculous finish. All in all, the second round has been much better than the first. Hopefully that trend continues and we don't get a super defensive knockout phase.

Germany looked great. England need to finish second or they are out next round.

I'm really bothered by Southgates negativity

Bruno's terrible form continues

Didn't a keeper have an OG in the first round?

Been a fair few penalty misses

Game of the tournament so far.

Portugal just couldn’t cope with the wing back system.

Bruno was poor looked knackered I reckon he’ll be dropped for the next game.

Still all to play for in that group.

Interesting fact: Gosens wanted to be a policeman but was told he wouldn't pass the medical as he has one leg longer than the other.

That's why he sticks to the left. If he tries to play on the right, he falls over.

Didn't a keeper have an OG in the first round?

Been a fair few penalty misses

I think that's 4 for the tournament now. Sczensey and another Juve player scored one.

Edit: Just checked. It's 5 for the tournament. OG is run away leader in the race for the golden boot.

I think that's 4 for the tournament now. Sczensey and another Juve player scored one.

Edit: Just checked. It's 5 for the tournament. OG is run away leader in the race for the golden boot.
well, Kane isn't going to be winning it (we must have signed him already!)

Dalot made his full debut tonight if Semedo is now injured he will probably start the next game.

Bruno dropped tonight and was awful when he came on.

Renato Sanches eye catching again looks back to the player he was in 2016 think a few clubs might be tempted to test Lille’s resolve on holding on to him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back