Euro 2021: Netherlands

Sideshow Bob

270px-Netherlands_national_football_team_logo.svg.png

Goalkeepers: Marco Bizot (AZ), Tim Krul (Norwich), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax)

Defenders: Nathan Aké (Manchester City), Daley Blind (Ajax), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Stefan de Vrij (Inter Milan), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Joël Veltman (Brighton), Owen Wijndal (AZ)

Midfielders: Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Marten de Roon (Atalanta), Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Teun Koopmeiners (AZ), Quincy Promes (Spartak Moskva), Jurriën Timber (Ajax), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

Forwards: Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Luuk de Jong (Sevilla), Memphis Depay (Lyon), Cody Gakpo (PSV), Donyell Malen (PSV Eindhoven), Wout Weghorst (Wolfsburg)

Think the Dutch are going to be a fun watch this tournament. Looked like they had thrown a victory away tonight but got a 3rd to beat Ukraine.

Hell of a goal from Yarmalenko it's like they've never heard of the guy letting him do that it's basically his signature move but gave the keeper absolutely no chance.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Absolutely worldy

Think fast: we are offered a straight swap between Martial and Memphis... do you take it?
Don’t think so. A good player for sure but it didn’t work last time, I have doubts it would work any better now for him. He has definitely improved as a player though.

Netherlands and Italy have been the best looking sides so far.

Memphis isn't a striker, he plays that role for the Dutch because they have few options.

I wouldn't take him back.

He plays up front for Lyon as well think he's now cemented himself as a forward rather than a winger but no I wouldn't take him back.

He's a better player now that he was when he arrived at Utd but the pressure got to him and he blew his chance.

I'd rather have him than Martial at this point but I'd also rather we just focus on buying a top striker either this summer or next summer and then move Martial on.

I agree with everybody's assessment of Memphis, but I think you're all forgetting just how useless Martial is. Swap them in a heartbeat, just to be rid of Martial.

I agree with everybody's assessment of Memphis, but I think you're all forgetting just how useless Martial is. Swap them in a heartbeat, just to be rid of Martial.

So we then spend 12 months moaning about how crap Memphis is and say we should swap him for Zaha.

This is the thing with Martial he isn't useless there are times when he's genuinely world class but he just can't sustain that level season after season.

I'm not advocating the switch because I want Memphis. I just want Martial gone. He's a very poor man's Nicolas Anelka. There are flashes of undoubted talent littered amongst acres of lethargy, sulking and dross. I'm willing to accept the possibility exists where last season was an anomaly and there was some hidden issue that has since been resolved and he comes back refreshed and tears it up, however the odds of that happening are way too long for me to count on him for anything anymore. Starting him was equivalent to being down to 10 men, and I don't want another season of 'maybe this is the match Martial comes good.'

I am not sure getting somebody in because you dislike the outgoing player more is the way forward. Just find a way to get rid of Martial and bring in players that you actually want and will move us forward.

Are in real trouble now. 1-0 down, a man down and approaching the 80th minute. Not long to rescue this.

And that's 2-0 and Holland are going home.

The controlled 1-0 win against Czech for us doesn't look bad now.

So poor in the final third. This Dutch side is average and Depay was woeful. The one Dutch player I thought played very well was Frenkie De Jong.

And that's 2-0 and Holland are going home.

The controlled 1-0 win against Czech for us doesn't look bad now.
Was just thinking the same thing. Totally different game if Malen finishes the one on one right before the red card, though.

England and Germany must be loving their chances of making the final now.

They conceded after they went down to 10. Don't think it's comparable to the England match.

I've liked watching the Netherlands but they are few players short. I imagine Dumfries will be popular, probably do well at city

Even before they conceded they had the better chances and remember they only went down to 10 men because De Ligt stopped a blatant goalscoring opportunity so very good chance it was going 1-0 anyway

The two best teams in the group stages have been a let down in the last 16. Italy could easily have gone out last night and the Dutch have now gone out.

And the team that finished third in our 'easy' group have taken out the winners in that group.

Funny how it works.

Thought Czech played well but the 1 minute changed the whole game Malan doesn’t take that one vs onechance then the red card.

Frank De Boer has quit as manager not really a surprise sounds like he quit before the meeting where he'd likely have been sacked.

I was listening to a podcast recently which was talking about the relationship between club management and international management has changed. They were talking about how Southgate has taken England to a WC semifinal, and even if he wins the Euros or makes the final, big clubs wouldn't even interview him, and yet that wouldn't have been the case previously.

You'd have to put De Boer and Deschamps in that list as well. I'd be livid if United hired either of them.

De Boer was very lucky to even land this job his management career after Ajax has been a disaster he'll struggle to get work at any big club and he probably realises that.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back