Euro 2021: England

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Provisional 33 man squad named today.

The central midfield options look pretty grim but the potential attacking players we can put out is exciting.

Will be interesting to see how it is whittled down.

This 33 man squad thing is odd. I imagine he wants to see the fitness of Maguire, Henderson, Phillips and Rashford.

7 to cut?

Aaron Ramsdale
James
Godfrey
White
Saka
Watkins

The last one is a tough one. I think it'll be Greenwood. But it should be another one of the RB's or Rashford and could easily be Lingard.

I guess he's also waiting to see if they all come through the two finals.

I wouldn't drop Greenwood, he's too versatile, and barring Kane, none of the others can finish like him.

He'll take him, but Henderson hasn't played since Feb has he?

It should be:

Ramsdale
Trippier
James
White
Watkins
Saka

There is no good reason to have four right backs, two won’t even be used so what’s the point taking away from a potential striking option? If he wants to have a bit of depth at left back he should keep Godfrey in. I think White will go but wish it could be Mings who I don’t rate one bit - he’s not even the best English centre back at Villa.

I think Lingard has done so well for WH but if you are picking players to influence the game then Grealish, Sancho and Greenwood are better options.

Surprised Dier isn’t in there for his versatility but glad he’s not in truth - never rated him.

neither of you dropping TAA.

I think he is the RB I would drop. He's been poor all season barring the last few weeks, and isn't the best defender.

If you're chasing a game late on I'd get TAA on the pitch for his balls in to Kane.

Assuming there are still 5 subs at the Euros

neither of you dropping TAA.

I think he is the RB I would drop. He's been poor all season barring the last few weeks, and isn't the best defender.
Like IDFD said I think you may need TAA late on for his delivery alone. Also to be fair his late season form for Liverpool has been pretty decent - I think there will always be a slight worry about his defensive side but there is no better going forward. Walker though I presume will be first choice.

There's a lot of talent in that 33 man squad. Imagine being able to choose from Bellingham, Grealish, Rice, Foden, Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood. Good luck.

He’s got a lot of players to come through that final and he’s got some worrying injuries to consider.

I think if everyone is fit the following are cut

Ramsdale
Godfrey
Trippier - Think TAA’s recent form costs Trippier his spot.
White
Saka
Lingard
Watkins - Dont think you need 3 out and out number 9s so I think DCL pips him.

Think I'd prefer he cut Kane, Rice, Foden, Sancho, Grealish, Shaw and Rashford. But then again, I'm from a more Northerly part of the UK!

Think I'd prefer he cut Kane, Rice, Foden, Sancho, Grealish, Shaw and Rashford. But then again, I'm from a more Northerly part of the UK!

Even if you cut all them we'd still be favourites against our brothers and sisters from the North.

Been reported that Eze from Palace would have been in the provisional squad if it wasn't for his injury.

He found out he'd been called up the day he suffered the injury that's put him out for months absolutely brutal.

Been reported that Eze from Palace would have been in the provisional squad if it wasn't for his injury.

He found out he'd been called up the day he suffered the injury that's put him out for months absolutely brutal.
That’s absolute savage luck!

His time will come though, he’s really impressed for Palace this season and think he will get better and better. Needs to add more end product to his game but he’s an exciting talent.

That’s absolute savage luck!

His time will come though, he’s really impressed for Palace this season and think he will get better and better. Needs to add more end product to his game but he’s an exciting talent.

Yeah the achilles is a nasty injury as well not everyone comes back the same from that one as it doesn't always heal perfectly. Hopefully all the rehab goes well as he's a lovely player to watch just glides past people effortlessly and seemed to be adding that end product towards the end of last season.

Big changes at Palace this summer got loads of players out of contract and Hodgson leaving so could be a tricky season for them next season.

Agree entirely. That lad is top drawer. Hope we see him in the red jersey soon!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You know what I’ve always looked at Euro/WC squads and wondered why countries didn’t select four right backs...

Gareth’s head needs a wobble.

Always the politician but injury to Lingard and Greenwood maybe forced his hand a little when it dames to reducing the squad but 4 right backs is a bit excessive.

He must be very convinced of Maguires fitness to only select 4 CBs although if Maguire isn’t fit I’m guessing England switch to a back 3.

After recent weeks the obvious full back to drop out was probably Walker.

Good to see Bellingham get the call but Ward-Prowse probably feels pretty gutted.

Another thing to come out of yesterday was that Maguire is a doubt for the first game.

Didn't realise that England actually have a game tonight a friendly against Austria some of those who didn't make the squad will feature as none of the Utd/City/Chelsea players will play and Henderson is unlikely to feature either.

I guess the big decision now for Southgate is should he accept he has to play the back 3 without Maguire that could explain why he picked all the right backs as both Walker/James can play in the back 3 and on the left side Shaw can also do the same.

If they play the 3 who does play on that left side of it which is where Maguire was at the world cup? Does he move Stones out there to play Coady in the centre where he plays for his club or does he look to slot Mings in as the left side of the 3?

You know what I’ve always looked at Euro/WC squads and wondered why countries didn’t select four right backs...

Gareth’s head needs a wobble.
I don't remember what the opinion was on here about the 2018 World Cup. What did you think of Southgate's managerial skills during that time? I was there for the England v. Colombia match, first time I had seen the England team play in the flesh, and it didn't look like any of the players were being told to play with any flare/risk/style. They didn't look like the players we see every week playing for their clubs. I personally think Southgate is conservative and staid. What about you?

I don't remember what the opinion was on here about the 2018 World Cup. What did you think of Southgate's managerial skills during that time? I was there for the England v. Colombia match, first time I had seen the England team play in the flesh, and it didn't look like any of the players were being told to play with any flare/risk/style. They didn't look like the players we see every week playing for their clubs. I personally think Southgate is conservative and staid. What about you?
Yeah would definitely go along with that assessment, I think he is quite conservative in his style. He’s most certainly not a risk taker but I think he’s done a very decent job and has transformed the team from where we were after Euro 2016. I would say despite what happens in this tournament he will remain as manager unless it’s a total embarrassment.

I certainly don’t agree with his squad selection for this tournament, there is absolutely no need for four right backs, unless we are looking at playing a back five and Walker is going to be a centre back - which I guess could be an option if Maguire isn’t fit.

I think we will struggle to win the tournament as a whole. We have plenty of good attacking players but I just think we lack severely in the central midfield options so will struggle to really dominate in there. We could well go deep in the tournament but think winning it is a little doubtful. Hope I’m supremely wrong though!

TAA seems to be in trouble; went off against Austria. If he pulls out, bring back Ward-Prowse.

Is that allowed? Deadline for the squad was yesterday but not sure about adding players to it did hear there'd be replacements allowed for keepers.

If I was Ward-Prowse I'd tell him to do one and call up another RB.

I think they can call up for injuries, because there was talk about Lingard playing himself into the squad if someone got injured. Seeing as he started but not in the squad was a bit of a weird one.

As for Southgate, CS, really boring football.

Is that allowed? Deadline for the squad was yesterday but not sure about adding players to it did hear there'd be replacements allowed for keepers.

If I was Ward-Prowse I'd tell him to do one and call up another RB.

Think you can replace players who suffer new injuries so they can replace TAA if he's out if he's limped off the pitch it's hard to imagine he'll be back but you never know could be something that's really minor that he can shake off in a few days.

If I was Ward-Prowse I'd be buzzing to get back in the squad there is no point being bitter about not making the original list if you get in the back door might be the only chance he ever gets to go to a major tournament.

Not really worth reading much into the performance just a chance to get some lads a bit of playing time really only a few of them will likely start the first game.

He's got a really tough job over the next few days to now really focus on what his starting XI actually is going to be as he has so many options and so few nailed down starters you'd hope he at least knows his preferred formation based on the last few friendly games it's been 4-2-3-1. Below I've put in the players who I think are nailed on starters for him I think every other spot is up for debate in some way. Injuries mean you can't really name Henderson or Maguire as nailed on starters at this moment. 6 months ago you'd say Sterling was nailed on but I'm not sure he is anymore.

Pickford

TBC Stones TBC TBC

Rice TBC

TBC Mount TBC

Kane

I think the team that wins the euro's will need to be quite compact in how they play maybe like Chelsea don't let many in and nick the winners as teams will be shattered after the long season so it'll be unlikely to see teams going for a high pressing game as they'll just burn out.

I'd disagree that Mount is nailed on, Foden may have something to say about that position. But if so, that RW spot is surely Fodens. Whilst Sterling and Grealish fight over the LW.

Though I'd also be shocked if Grealish doesn't start after seeing the Kane/Neville interview.

So Sterling dropped and a 3 of

Foden Mount Grealish

Kane.

Though of course that all changes if he goes 3-4-3

Think Mount has played every game for a long time under Southgate and played well plus he's a genuine POTY candidate this season in England so for me I think he's nailed on this manager is loyal to guys who've done well for him. That's kind of why I feel like Sterling starts that first game even if form suggests he shouldn't.

I think Southgate will want one player who will run in behind in that front 3 so for me it's a case of picking one from Sterling/Rashford/Sancho and then one from Foden/Grealish when it comes to the wide areas. On form you're probably going Foden and Sancho at the moment.

I think Foden/Mount/Grealish is to many players looking for the ball to feet add in Kane who likes to drop deep you need one player who likes to stretch the opponent. If you played those 3 Kane would have to play a very different style and almost be more like a Cavani/Lukaku type centre forward running in behind and being the penalty box poacher which I don't think is his natural game but he's so clever he could probably play that way. I think the best version of Kane you want the wide players bursting past him so he'd probably prefer playing with Sacho/Sterling/Rashford either side of him.

The one for me who could really force his name into the mix is Sancho with Sterling/Rashford both in bad form if he gets a good performance in during that next warm up game he could go straight into the starting line up.

We might see quite a bit of change rather than a set XI this time around in the group games you imagine that we'll see quite a good share of possession but as the tournament progresses we might become more counter attack based depending on who we draw.

TAA is out of the Euro's after his thigh strain his replacement hasn't been named yet.

The positive I guess is that we're well covered in his position.

G
TAA is out of the Euro's after his thigh strain his replacement hasn't been named yet.

The positive I guess is that we're well covered in his position.
Got to get another body in the midfield surely to replace him?

True but Lingard did drop off a bit right at the end after his crazy start.

Think Lingard has a chance but all the attacking options are fit in midfield we’ve got concerns over Henderson.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back