Euro 2021: Belgium

Sideshow Bob

225px-Royal_Belgian_FA_logo_2019.svg.png

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid), Simon Mignolet (Club Brugge), Matz Sels (Strasbourg)

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham), Dedryck Boyata (Hertha Berlin), Timothy Castagne (Leicester), Jason Denayer (Lyon), Thomas Meunier (Dortmund), Thomas Vermaelen (Vissel Kobe), Jan Vertonghen (Benfica)

Midfielders: Nacer Chadli (İstanbul Başakşehir), Yannick Carrasco (Atlético Madrid), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Leander Dendoncker (Wolves), Eden Hazard (Real Madrid), Thorgan Hazard (Dortmund), Dennis Praet (Leicester), Youri Tielemans (Leicester), Hans Vanaken (Club Brugge), Axel Witsel (Dortmund)

Forwards: Michy Batshuayi (Crystal Palace), Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace), Jeremy Doku (Rennes), Romelu Lukaku (Inter Milan), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Leandro Trossard (Brighton)

Pretty easy 3-0 win against Russia. They looked effective without being flash. Lukaku up and running with a brace. He looked strong and mobile.

Scary thing for everyone else was that was without De Bruyne.

What did you think of the first? I just think when the intended ball is played to Lukaku he's offside. It shouldn't matter if the defender miskicks it. Lukaku gains that advantage by being in an offside position.

If Lukaku isn't there he's not panicking to make a rushed clearance and then miskicks it.

Think the questions over Belgium are at the back and Russia never really tested that weakness bit like Italy in the first game they’ve shown they are to strong for the average nations.

I think they’ll be found out against the very best sides but with Lukaku in this form they are a danger for any opponent.

Great goal but they’ve not looked great in this game.

Right, hands up all those who still think OGS was correct in selling Lukaku and keeping Martial???

Oh he's back. The guy who didn't watch a single game whilst Lukaku was upfront putting his first touch over the Sir Alex Ferguson stand.

I don't think there is a single person that watch Lukaku as a bulked up player and thought we shouldn't accept a £75m bid for him.

Trying to bring the Ole out crowd in to another thread. Just accept he's going nowhere. And get behind him or accept you aren't a supporter of the club. But don't keep being so toxic as a fanbase.

Still leading the 'Ole's our messiah' platoon, I see.
Mate, I don't think you'd recognise a world class footballer if u found 1 in your soup.
Interesting comments fromRio Ferdinand yesterday, but then I guess u pay no credence to his opinion either?

selling Lukaku was one of the best things we ever did.

Zlatan offered in him £50 for every decent first touch he made :D Even yesterday in the lead up to the first goal, it never looked like he had that ball under control.

Plus he and Pogba had fallen out.

Lukaku was terrible at united, I hated him there. He's decent enough for inter alright. That league probably suits him.

Lukaku was a broken shell of a man at Utd by the time Ole took over even Mourinho had benched him for Rashford as his performances in the second season were absolute trash. His head had totally gone, the fans were on his back and the move worked out well for everyone in my book.

Utd got their money back, Inter got a quality striker and Lukaku got a fresh start. Win Win Win.

The issue was never selling Lukaku it was the club not replacing him until last summer when they signed Cavani but even he was another short term patch repair to the problem.

Oh he's back. The guy who didn't watch a single game whilst Lukaku was upfront putting his first touch over the Sir Alex Ferguson stand.

I don't think there is a single person that watch Lukaku as a bulked up player and thought we shouldn't accept a £75m bid for him.

Trying to bring the Ole out crowd in to another thread. Just accept he's going nowhere. And get behind him or accept you aren't a supporter of the club. But don't keep being so toxic as a fanbase.
Guess Rio Ferdinand was just as toxic then with his article on Wed?

You'll have to link said article. However Rio is firmly Ole in.

As for world class footballers they generally have a fantastic first touch to be established as world class. Lukaku is an excellent finisher. He bulked up and destroyed himself whilst here and let the fans down with his poor attitude. He'll never be welcome back. He then took parting shots at several players and completely burnt his bridges.

Throughout the euros the club have posted good luck messages to several nations with pictures of their former players. Blind, Adnan, Ibra, Ronaldo, Rossi, Nani, Larson, Nistelrooy, Neville, Blomqvist, Rooney and Mark Hughes. Lukaku has notably been ignored.

Using Lukaku as a stick to beat Ole is something I don't understand. Anybody with working eyeballs could see Lukaku was dreadful and needed to be sold for on the pitch failures, never mind the dressing room stuff and his attitude. Not replacing him was on Ed/Joel and not Ole.

EDIT: On Belgium, I thought that other than the goals, which were both top drawer, they weren't that good. Perhaps the emotions of the occasion got to them a bit, but they looked creaky at the back and if they keep giving up that many chances, a good side will punish them.

They looked much better when De Bruyne and Hazard came on before that Denmark were all over them but that extra injection of quality gave them much better control.

Their defence is rubbish though just can't see them winning a tournament with that defence.

1-0 against Portugal to go through to the QF’s but they weren’t impressive in the slightest. Also worrying signs that De Bruyne and Hazard both went off with injuries.

Defended very well in the end though.

Belgium will be tough to beat don’t give you many chances and defend in numbers but I think they will come up just short.

Felt they had the right defenders to hold on against Portugal the high balls are what all those 6ft plus defenders wanted.

I don't think De Bruyne or Hazard play again. De Bruyne looked like he twisted his ankle and the final is in two weeks and Hazard looked like his hamstring went.

Without those two I can't see them beating France in the semis

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back