Euro 2020: Semi Final England vs Denmark

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Huge huge opportunity for England the best chance in mine any many people's lifetime to make a final of a major competition.

Southgate has got some decisions to make Denmark have played a back 3 system since Eriksen's incident in the first game and it seems to have worked really well for them I've been impressed by them when I've watched them they look solid at the back and have got plenty of energy going forward. We played them in the nations league recently and we really struggled in both games against them drew one and lost one which was dissapointing.

Will we match that system like we did vs Germany or will he stick to the back 4?

I hope he sticks to the back 4 and keeps the additional attacking player in the side.

In terms of changes we assume Saka will be fit for this game having missed the quarter final so it's basically a full squad to choose from. I think if Saka is fit he might come back in for Sancho as he's maybe a bit more defensively aware than Sancho is.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice Phillips

Saka Mount Sterling

Kane

Again I think if we play well we win this is a good squad of players who should back themselves to win this one unlike the Croatia game we go in as the obvious favourite so they will have to handle that pressure.

Think I'd stick with the same team

Difficult to drop Sancho.

Sancho had a good game but he wasn't outstanding.

He was a lot better defensively than I realised though.

I imagine it'll be the same team. Saka in for Sancho though.

What happens with yellow cards? Are they cleared now? If so may see Foden come in for Mount too. Think Gareth just hasn't trusted him not to get carded.

Yeah you only miss the final if you get sent off in the semi in terms of yellow it's a clear slate.

I think it's 1 position up for grabs between Saka/Sancho/Foden for who starts on the right of that front 3.

I just think you shouldn't change a team that won 4 - 0 unless there are injuries.

Previou syellow cards do not count now.

I doubt Gareth will change the team now for the semi and final. Sancho did have a relatively quiet game but it was basically his first game of the tournament (think he had one little sub appearance). Would be a big call to throw Saka back in there.

Whatever the team we are going to smash the Danes. :)

I'd keep Sancho in as I think we're going to need his creativity to unlock the Danish defence. Foden for Mount, who other than that one defensive block in our box, did nothing. We should win, but it'll be nervy and cagey and probably boring at times.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let’s hope that the press don’t leak the team the day before like they’ve done in every game so far.

They didn't before the Denmark game

Sancho starting was known before the Ukraine game.

If I was Southgate I’d be trying to plug that leak because it’s happening time after time and while it hasn’t mattered much so far it’s not good if our line up is getting out early as teams can prepare for you a bit better.

Seems to be someone at the athletic who’s getting the story every time or they are making some very lucky guesses.

There was somebody (Jack Pitt-Brooke or Carl Anka perhaps) on an Athletic podcast talking about how they knew Sancho was starting a few days before Ukraine. I don't know if they leaked it or not, but this really annoys me. The press want us to all pull together and support England, they talk up Southgate and how he's changed the atmosphere around the team, and then undermine him at every opportunity. They have just as much of a responsibility to do what they can to help the team win as the rest of us.

I've been thinking about the team selection thing, and Southgate's first instinct is to control as much of the match as possible, but I think he's got a plan if we go behind or need to chase the game. I think he's keeping Grealish/Sancho/Rashford for such an instance, which is why he's given them a few min here and there to keep them sharp. The only thing is that we haven't conceded yet, so he hasn't had to go for it yet.

Also, this talk of England taking an easy route to a potential final is rubbish as well. Who have Italy faced? They had a poor group, played Austria (struggled), a past it Belgium side, and now they're facing a poor Spain side. They haven't played any of the big boys either.

It really doesn't matter the route taken to the final because those were the matches handed you; you can only beat what's put in front of you. That said, the remaining teams are going to present more of a challenge not just in quality but in tactics and approach. Denmark maybe not so much. I don't think the Danes are going to present too much of a challenge for the English. It will be a closer game than last time, probably a 2-0 win. I don't rate Southgate at all but I do think him leaving a couple game-changers on the bench in Grealish and Sancho is a wise move, providing he actually seeks to change the game. Italy seems to be the only real competition left in the, uh, competition.

Saka gets the nod over Sancho.

Seems an odd one, but you can't really fault Southgates picks so far.

Once again the team is leaked on the day of the game.

I guess he just wants that bit of extra defensive protection that comes from Saka we both know that Southgate is cautious and it shows in his team selections but it's got us this far so he isn't going to suddenly change it.

Saka had 2 decent games so not that surprising that he comes back in Sancho did ok in his game but probably not enough to make sure he had to pick him for the next game.

Got so many options off the bench to change it though if things aren't working.

He did say he picked Sancho for width against a back 3, don't Denmark play a 3?

They've actually re-released it. Was trying to think of the last time I saw the original artist re-release a fan song with the football lyrics.

He did say he picked Sancho for width against a back 3, don't Denmark play a 3?

Denmark tend to switch it up during the game if they need to they've swapped from a back 3 to a back 4 and back in games so far Saka gives us the capacity to do the same I don't think Sancho gives you that sort of flexibility.

I think it's just the extra bit of security he's gone for if their left wing back starts pushing forward a bit and causing Walker some problems Saka is much more inclined to help him out and then try to pin him back again.

I know we're all team Sancho now he's a Utd player but Southgate is loyal to lads who've played well for him in the England shirt so when he's put Saka in he's had good games out of him so he's got the trust that maybe Sancho is still earning which is fine.

Huge game this is the first time we'll go into a major semi final and for the first time in a long time the England side has really captured the nation I think and got them on side they deserve to make a final. Denmark I think are a really tough opponent who've been fantastic in the tournament throughout despite having to suffer that heartbreak in the first game.

They've actually re-released it. Was trying to think of the last time I saw the original artist re-release a fan song with the football lyrics.

Southgate, you’re the one, you still turn me on.

All kinds of wrong. Pretty catchy though.

Been going through the repertoire of football songs today. Shout by Dizzee Rascal was a particular fave!

The Southgate song was the absolute theme song of 2018. Good to have it back.

Never heard it, and after that listen, of 20 seconds, I hope I never do again :p started on the booze already though

Need a formation change, I'd have mount and Sako off, push sterling right and bring on rashford and grealish

I'd rather Bellingham than Henderson

Pickford is our Achilles heel

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back