Erling Haaland at Borussia Dortmund 2019/20

SuperRash

Scored 2 minutes into his debut for Dortmund today and then added another 10 minutes later. He is a supreme talent.

Edit: Now a hat-trick on debut. Unreal.

If the reports are true United were right not to agree the terms demanded by Haaland’s agent and his father. Imagine the level of criticism the club would receive if he left for 50m in 2023. Will he sign a new contract at Dortmund before 2023 increasing his release clause? Dortmund will need to sell in 2022 if they want a high transfer fee.

That’s the tricky part do you accept the clause and hope that in 2 years you can negotiate it out.

Utd could have easily said you can have a release clause but it’s 150m and it only comes in after 3 years of a 5 year contract.

Sometimes with talents like this you just have to get them in the door and back yourself to make them stay.

That said even if Utd had accepted these terms I think he’d still have gone to Dortmund its a better place for him to develop and I think he knows that.

The level of defending for his hatrick was shocking. It wouldn’t be fit in the championship.

So how much is this release clause and why haven’t we paid it already?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

£50m - Doesn’t come in until 2023

Utd 100% should have accepted that condition but I’d have said if he scores more than 20 league goals in a season before that date it trebles.

I’d have then tried to negotiate it out with a new contract offer in 2022 if he was doing well.

That said I do think there were football reasons behind joining Dortmund they’ve done a good job developing strikers recently and I think he made the right choice.

The way he’s playing I’d be amazed if he’s at Dortmund for more than 18 months he obviously won’t go this summer but is he keeps doing what he’s doing the following summer everyone will be in for him.

You don’t negotiate that out of the contract in 18 months. Raiola and Haaland senior make their money by moving him often. They’re going to milk his career instead of letting him create a legacy somewhere.

You don’t negotiate that out of the contract in 18 months. Raiola and Haaland senior make their money by moving him often. They’re going to milk his career instead of letting him create a legacy somewhere.

Depends what you offer in return? he isapparently on 70k a week say he hits the ground running and becomes a star so in 18 month you can say to him we will triple even quadruple your salary on a new 5 year deal remove that clause and yeah you probably have to pay his agent/father some cash to so everyone is happy.

If he doesn’t sign you might say in 2022 we will sell for 100m treble our money and move on.

If that was the clause the requested from all clubs I think Utd could have accepted it but it could be a simple issue of precedent utd have never given a player a release clause in a contract got a feeling they aren’t actually legally enforceable in the UK.

Didn’t Suarez have one and Liverpool just rejected the bid and realised it was legal here anyway?

Didn’t Suarez have one and Liverpool just rejected the bid and realised it was legal here anyway?

Yeah I remember it all being a bit of a mess Arsenal offered £1 above the reported release clause and Liverpool just ignored it. I think the issue there might have been it wasn’t a written agreement it was verbal between the club and his agent.

Think when he went to Barca it was a release clause in the contract he signed that season.

It’s a contract for your playing registration so I don’t see a reason why you couldn’t have an agreed sale price included within it guess it might just be clubs here don’t really bother with them as clubs here don’t really buy players with a view of selling them on for profit.

On Haaland, I got a couple of messages from an agent last week who wanted to correct me for something I had said on The Transfer Show.

He was watching and messaged me while we were on air. We had been discussing United's search for a striker and I made the wholly unoriginal point that they should have paid whatever it took to sign Haaland - the same Haaland who has scored seven times in his first three games for Borussia Dortmund.

He told me that United had no chance of signing Haaland. He said he had known the striker since he was a five-year-old boy and it had always been his dream to play in Germany.

According to the agent, Haaland will play in the Premier League one day but the plan was always for him to move to the Bundesliga last month.

So, as far as United are concerned, it's not a case of what might have been but a case of what could still be.

If that is true and given the source of it I'm not saying it is why wasn't there a proper plan for January we've known since August we needed a striker so how did we get to the last minute dash. Always hard to find a good striker in January unless you are prepared to pay a buyout clause to get someone.

Germany was always the likely destination most assumed it would be Leipzig given the red bull link but Dortmund snuck in and got him.

Lets hope Utd have got some better ideas for the summer.

It really is getting quite silly isn't it.

Just the 8 in 4 for Dortmund so far. But he has only started one game. It’s 8 in a 156 minutes.

EDIT: He has indeed started one

Before last night someone said based on his scoring rate in Germany if Lewendowski had scored at the rate he was scoring at this season he'd be on 91 goals.

Haaland has scored more Bundesliga goals since Xmas than most of the teams in that league.

Obviously at some point it'll settle down but that side is scoring goals for fun you can see why he wanted to go there and you wonder with him there will a player like Sancho think stay another season and lets see if they can get a title next year.

Before last night someone said based on his scoring rate in Germany if Lewendowski had scored at the rate he was scoring at this season he'd be on 91 goals.

Haaland has scored more Bundesliga goals since Xmas than most of the teams in that league.

Obviously at some point it'll settle down but that side is scoring goals for fun you can see why he wanted to go there and you wonder with him there will a player like Sancho think stay another season and lets see if they can get a title next year.
They have a terrific attacking line up with Brandt and Reus as well. Their midfield isn’t too shabby with Dahoud, Witsel and the addition of Can strengthens them.

Still in with a great shot of the title this year too.

If that is true and given the source of it I'm not saying it is why wasn't there a proper plan for January we've known since August we needed a striker so how did we get to the last minute dash. Always hard to find a good striker in January unless you are prepared to pay a buyout clause to get someone.
Apparently we have known since March last year. It's a joke to be honest. This club is run so badly in terms of the football side.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back